Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
6,137 Views 11 Replies Last post: May 30, 2013 7:12 AM by KRAUTMCFRIEND
RSS
POLORSPORT23 1 posts since
Feb 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2013 3:03 AM

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars not working on wii u

I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm having issues with

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I purchased it via the club nintendo rewards program for my wii u. Unfortunatly it does not work on my wii u. When I goto wii mode and try to play it with my

Nintendo Wii U Pro Controller, Wii U Gamepad, or Wii remote.

Had I known this I wouldn't have purchased it. I really would like to play this game, but feel stuck. Can I get my ponts back?

MARIO 3,213 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
May 11, 2013 3:17 AM in response to: POLORSPORT23
Re: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars not working on wii u

Unfortunately this game requires a Wii Classic Controller when played on the Wii U. You can try getting ahold of one, or at some point in the future Nintendo may release the game for the Wii U Virtual Console and you'll be eligible for a discounted upgrade.

NIGHTFIRE5 3,629 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
May 11, 2013 5:21 AM in response to: MARIO

Ah, sorry Mario, but that's a bit of misinformation there. The discounted price point on Wii U Virtual Console games only applies to Virtual Console games that were transferred from a Nintendo Wii console to the Nintendo Wii U's Wii Mode. Games which are purchased or redeemed on the Wii U's Wii Mode Wii Shop Channel are not eligible for the discounted price.

To the thread starter, you would do well to pick up a Classic Controller or Classic Controller PRO. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars alone makes the purchase worthwhile.

MARIO 3,213 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
May 11, 2013 5:28 AM in response to: NIGHTFIRE5

Nintendo may have stated otherwise elsewhere, but on their tech support page they do mention that games purchased in the Wii Shop on Wii U qualify.

Mar 29, 2011
May 11, 2013 5:40 AM in response to: MARIO

Say what now? *reads the web page* Oh, so they went and changed things with how this discounted price thing works and told me nothing at all about it...uh...sorry about that Mario. I'll go hide under a rock for a while.

GAMEPLAY4FUN 41 posts since
Jan 3, 2013
May 11, 2013 8:08 AM in response to: POLORSPORT23

I don't understand how so many people got so confused with this offer as you're literally about the 7th person I've heard with this problem... Right on the Featured Game Offers page it shows Wii right on the image. When you click it the description includes "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars can be downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel for 800 Wii Points. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars requires the Classic Controller™ (sold separately)." and on the right shows the Wii Classic Controller, Virtual Console and Classic Games for Wii.

You have two options buy a classic controller or wait til Nintendo releases it on Wii U's eShop and pay the upgrade price of I believe $1.50.

JAY3614 1 posts since
May 13, 2013
May 13, 2013 7:59 AM in response to: GAMEPLAY4FUN

"I don't understand how so many people got so confused with this offer as you're literally about the 7th person I've heard with this problem... Right on the Featured Game Offers page it shows Wii right on the image."

Yes, and it shows a Wii U Gamepad, RIGHT next to the Wii.  That's pretty darn confusing.....

"When you click it the description includes "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars can be downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel for 800 Wii Points. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars requires the Classic Controller™ (sold separately)." and on the right shows the Wii Classic Controller, Virtual Console and Classic Games for Wii."

I'm not meaning to disrespect you, but are you reading what you're saying? On the Club Nintendo Store the game is singularly being offered for 200 CLUB POINTS, accompanied by three "Icons": a Wii console, a Wii U Game Pad and a Wii Classic Controller. Confusing? Yes.  Even outside that, I have downloaded Wii U games, that have no Wii U Game Pad, no Wii console or Wii Classic Controller, from the Wii Virtual Console.  Nintendo has done a horrible job at labeling items. 
Consider your laundry, in nearly 90% of the world, it's based on icons, not verbage. The icons shown were a Wii Console, a Wii U Game Pad and a Wii Classic Game Controller. Now, what to you does that mean? Is this available on the 3DS XL? No.  Is this available on the Wii? Yes.  Is this available on the Wii U (based on the Game Pad icon)? Yes.   
Third, the "pricing" for the item is 800 CN (Club Nintendo) points, yet it's on sale for 200 currently. Even after purchasing, it is still  listed as a 800 CN point item. ONLY after doing the math that you were deducted 200 CN points do you realize that the shown CN point price is incorrect.

You have two options buy a classic controller or wait til Nintendo releases it on Wii U's eShop and pay the upgrade price of I believe $1.50.

Don't care to address this because your theory holds no water outside you trying to troll.  

I will be phoning Nintendo about this and following-up with a post about their incorrect marketing/advertising. 

Thank you, Gameplay4Fun.. Thank you for attempting to play.  It was fun.

***Edited to remove censor bypassing.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_MIKA

Mar 29, 2011
May 13, 2013 5:30 AM in response to: JAY3614

Firstly, there is no need for name calling here.

Second, you do have something a little confused.

Third, the "pricing" for the item is 800 CN (Club Nintendo) points, yet it's on sale for 200 currently. Even after purchasing, it is still  listed as a 800 CN point item. ONLY after doing the math that you were deducted 200 CN points do you realize that the shown CN point price is incorrect.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars costs 800 Wii Points to download from the Wii Shop Channel on either the Nintendo Wii console or the Nintendo Wii U's Wii Mode. For the month of May, members of Club Nintendo of America can choose to trade in 200 Coins for a download ticket for the game. How many Coins a download ticket costs on Club Nintendo has nothing to do with the price of the item on the Wii Shop Channel, and vice versa.

MARIO 3,213 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
May 13, 2013 5:32 AM in response to: JAY3614

The game is not "on sale" for  200  Club Nintendo coins. On the Wii  Shop Channel, the game costs 800  Wii  Points, which is different from  the Club Nintendo coins, which are  rewarded for registering purchases.

In   the future it'd definitely be a good idea to check any  requirements.  The Classic Controller requirement is bolded on the  reward page.

GAMEPLAY4FUN 41 posts since
Jan 3, 2013
May 13, 2013 7:52 PM in response to: JAY3614

I guess my reply did come off brash which was not my intention. I was mearly trying to point out there are few indications that should have at least stopped you to think about the game's viability to you. You mention the Gamepad icon. ok. You then seemed to have missed "Go to the Wii Menu on your Wii U to play this game." right next to it. I'm honestly, unlike you, not trying to be rude, but if all you go by in life are pictures and icons it'll be difficult finding a good job and not being screwed over contracts. As the saying goes Reading is fundemental.

Also as others already mentioned you've allowed yourself to confuse Club Nintendo COINS with Wii POINTS, which also should have been a warning that it's not meant for Wii U as Wii U eShop uses dollars now.

KRAUTMCFRIEND 3 posts since
May 28, 2013
May 30, 2013 7:12 AM in response to: JAY3614

Yes, it shows a Wii U controller - but guess what? It's there to say that you go to that specific controller, to actually navigate to the Wii VC menu! And...it also tells you what controllers will work.

***Edited to remove inappropriate content. Please be respectful to other users on the forums.***

KRAUTMCFRIEND 3 posts since
May 28, 2013
May 30, 2013 7:12 AM in response to: GAMEPLAY4FUN

Because people don't bother to read, just look. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)