Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
8,811 Views 6 Replies Last post: Jun 4, 2013 4:30 PM by JULIO08
RSS
FRIGIS 3 posts since
Jun 2, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2013 11:07 AM

Wii U won't play Twilight Princess

I just bought a Wii U a week or two ago (so the laser shouldn't be dirty yet) and felt the urge to play through Twilight Princess (wii version) again. I can boot the game up to the main menu, but after that I get a message saying that the "disc can't be read". The disc plays fine on my Wii though. I've tried booting up the game 4 times now, each time taking out the disc, cleaning it, and then putting it back in. I'm getting no luck at all. Does Twilight Princess just not work on Wii U? Or is my Wii U's laser defective? My Wii U games work just fine (NSMBU and Nintendo Land).

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Jun 2, 2013 11:09 AM in response to: FRIGIS
Re: Wii U won't play Twilight Princess

I'd try a new disc to see if that helps.

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Jun 2, 2013 3:47 PM in response to: FRIGIS

Yes, I mean a new Twilight Princess disc. Your copy may be defective.

JULIO08 30 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Jun 2, 2013 7:13 PM in response to: MARIOGOLFER777

I had the same problem with my Wii U, but the game was Mario Kart Wii.

I have a launch white Wii and a red Wii, both read my Mario Kart Wii game disc perfectly, no messages, strange sounds, clipping or anything, but when I tryed it on the Wii U in order to install the Mario Kart Channel, the Wii U refused to read the disc. The disc channel said that there is no disc inserted and to try a different one. I tryed quite a few more Wii games and none had this problem on the Wii U.

Checked the disc for scratches and I could find anything wrong, and I consider myself a collector and my games are kept in pristine complete state.

I asked a friend to lend me his copy of the game (a really scratched disc by the way) and placed it on the Wii U, and the game ran perfectly. Took the game disc out in the middle of the Mario Kart game menu in order to swap game disc, but I couldn't trick the Wii U to read my disc, switched back and the game continued to run.

Got my white Wii and red Wii to read my friend's disc and both read it but with a little more delay than my disc, perhaps they tried a little harder to read it because of the scratches...

Long story short, my scratchless and prefectly stored disc couldn't be played on the Wii U but my friend's beaten-up disc worked perfectly.

After examining my disc the only defect I could find was a little dirt mark on the inside BCA (Burst cutting area) of the disc, I couldn't clean it with a soft microfiber cloth so I assume it was there all along. (My friend's disk had a clean BCA)

Just to test my theory, can you look at your BCA area on your TLoZ copy to see if there is a common issue between both discs ?? I believe the Wii U has a different way of reading this sector of the disc and when it finds any defects it refuses to load the game.

JULIO08 30 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Jun 4, 2013 4:30 PM in response to: FRIGIS

There goes my theory as for the BCA...

I guess it's your copy of TLoZ (as it is the case with my copy of Mario Kart Wii) that has a minor unknown defect. I have the original Zelda release (not the Nintendo Select release) and it plays just fine on my Wii U.

When the Wii U first gave me the error, I couldn't help myself but to try as many discs as I could, I used 10+ diferent game discs that night and none of them got the Mario Kart Wii error, it read every kind of disc (single layer - Animal Crossing, SMG 1 & 2, etc) (dual layer - Metroid Other M, Metroid Trilogy, Last Story, SSBM, Xenoblade) none gave me any error.

I recently bought the special Wii U Lens Cleaner to see if it was something with the lens but it gave me the same error. (the new one is on the Nintendo Online Store, it's different than the original Wii Lens Cleaner, the Wii U version has no attachable pads just a real cool transparent/black disc and 3 little cleaning things attached to it, and one nice solution tube that fits inside a retail Wii U game case)

So if it helps, in my case I ruled out the Wii U, the problem is the game disc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)