Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
22,362 Views 4 Replies Last post: Mar 27, 2011 4:33 PM by JSUDRUM
RSS
3 posts since
Jun 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 9, 2010 10:10 AM

Is there a way to set time limits for online game play?

Via the Wii console -- There should be a way through 'Parental Controls' to block internet access of the Wii during specific times of day.  I can't seem to find anyway to do this.

Via the router -- I have submitted a question to Belkin the maker of our router so see how I can get the router to break a live connection at a specific time.  I can set up the router to block a new online session from being connected, however if a game is being played online and the start time of the block comes up nothing happens they can play for hours and hours until the game is actually quit and the main Wii screen is returned to.

Thanks

ONE-OF-THREE 6,204 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jun 9, 2010 5:11 PM in response to: PVBS31
Re: Is there a way to set time limits for online game play?

Sorry, but there is no way to set up the Wii console nor through its "Parental Controls" to limit online usage to a certain time frame.

However, you could use the Parental Controls to effectively block all Internet use, including almost all video game online play, so that your family members can only play when you are home.

If you click here, you will find information on how to set up the Parental Controls, and you "can adjust the "Highest Game Rating Allowed" to be played on the Wii console", which "this setting is based on the Entertainment Software Rating Board ("ESRB") game rating categories."

I haven't personally tried this, but if you set it on the lowest setting, which is "EC (Early Childhood) ", that should block "E" and higher ESRB rated video games and not allow anyone to play online till they have entered the correct PIN number.

1 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 4:33 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE
Re: Is there a way to set time limits for online game play?

there is a crude way to put a time limit on the wii.  I went to Home Depot and purchased a timer that is meant to turn on and off lights (http://http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100647124&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-2-_-light). The timer in the link is 14.25 and there is another one available for 19.99 that has more memory for more settings. They allow you to plug lights like Christmas lights or lamps into them and then they plug into your outlet receptacle.  You can program them to cut on or off for specific periods of time and it saves up to 7, 24hr days worth of settings.  Instead of plugging lamps or Christmas lights into it, I plug my child's Wii into it and voila....I have it programmed to cut on in the morning, off at homework time, back on in a couple of hours, and then off at bedtime.  I allow him more time on the weekends, but I can still limit his playtime.  I like this because it enforces the rules even if I'm at work.  The disadvantage is that if you have a crafty and sneaky child, he can easily defeat this timer just by unplugging the wii from it and plugging the wii directly into the wall.  My child is still young and hasn't figured out how the timer works yet...My plan for when he figures it out is to install a cover with a lock (like the covers over air conditioning thermostats) over the outlet receptacle unless Nintendo comes out with a timer you can upload.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)