Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
19,692 Views 2 Replies Last post: Jun 17, 2010 1:54 PM by COMPUTERS
RSS
1 posts since
Jun 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2010 2:30 PM

My Wii just turns off.

Randomly, it seems only when I have a gamecube controller, my wii turns off after like 10 minutes, and I cant turn it back on unless I disconnect the power cable. Then I turned off the system and turned it on without the gamecube controller, and as soon as I plugged it in, the Wii turned off. I don't know why this is.

Can I guarantee that it wont turn off if I play without the GC controller? Thanks.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,196 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jun 16, 2010 3:07 PM in response to: JOSH_120
Re: My Wii just turns off.

Is this an official GameCube controller made by Nintendo, as some third-party controllers are incompatible with the Wii console?

But even if it is an official controller, it could still be defective and might need to be replaced, so perhaps you should try it on a friend or family member's Wii console to see if the same problem results.:)

COMPUTERS 97 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jun 17, 2010 1:54 PM in response to: JOSH_120
Re: My Wii just turns off.

Hello,

As you mentioned your Wii console shuts off on it's on during game-play - I recommend reviewing the troubleshooting steps you may locate by Clicking Here. I also posted the information here as well for your convenience.

• The system plays for awhile, but then shuts off on its own

• If the problem occurs every now and then (but not frequently or regularly), please click here to view our "No Power" troubleshooting by clicking here.
    • If you are able to get power to come back on, but then it keeps going out, the problem is likely due to either overheating or from an unlicensed accessory tripping the fuse on the AC Adapter. Please check for the following:
      1. Make sure that the word "Wii" and the model number "RVL-002 (USA)" molded into the AC adapter. Unlicensed products are not fully compatible and may not work correctly.
      2. Avoid the use of unlicensed products such as memory cards, controllers, and cheat devices. Some of these products are poorly manufactured and may result in damage to your system. If one of these products is attached to your system, remove it and try resetting the AC Adapter (see above).
      3. Check all accessories, licensed or not, for physical damage. Physical damage, such as frayed wiring or a cracked housing can cause the system to shut down. Remove any damaged products and try resetting the AC Adapter (see above).
      4. Make sure the Wii has good ventilation. Avoid operating the Wii while it's on carpeting or inside an enclosed space. If you have the Wii placed in a vertical position, make sure the vents on the bottom are lined up properly with the hole in the plastic stand and no foreign material is obstructing that hole.
      5. Check the vent on the back and side (or bottom, depending on how you have the system positioned) of the Wii for dust build up. The system will shut down if it cannot vent properly to prevent overheating. If there is a build-up, remove it using a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment.
      6. If the above steps do not solve the problem, you should try resetting the AC Adapter. Click here for instructions on how to do this.

If none of those tips help you, I recommend contacting Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700, between 6am - 7pm, Pacific Time, 7 days a week for further assistance.

Hope this helps and good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)