Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
147,206 Views 11 Replies Last post: Aug 25, 2013 5:11 PM by KRYSKA
RSS
2 posts since
Jun 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2010 1:45 PM

Wii Unable to Read Disc

All of a sudden, my wii won't read any of my discs. And on top of that, it makes a weird clicking noise. It goes:

whirrr, click click click CLICK click click CLICK, stops whirring, and then displays the unable to read disc message.

The disc is clean, I've tried with several different discs, and I'm inserting the disc the right way. What's wrong?

_TANIS_ 1,730 posts since
Apr 24, 2010
Jun 17, 2010 2:14 PM in response to: AJK2853
Re: Wii Unable to Read Disc

Unfortunately it sounds as though there is a problem with your disc drive. To fix this, you will have to send it into Nintendo for repair.

To set up a repair, call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700, or work your way through the troubleshooting guide to the repair page.

3 posts since
Jun 26, 2010
Jun 26, 2010 7:27 PM in response to: AJK2853

Recently I have experienced the SAME THING... right after using the installing and using the NETFLIX disc for streaming movies.  Coincidence... ??!!

Grrrrr!

WOODBOY 176 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jun 27, 2010 10:45 AM in response to: AJK2853

try the wii lens cleaner

3 posts since
Jun 28, 2010
Jun 28, 2010 2:15 PM in response to: AJK2853

It sounds like the same exact thing that is happening to my Wii currently. About a week and a half ago, I tried starting up Super Mario Galaxy 2 and got as far as the disc channel. It did recogonize the game, but when I tried starting it, it went back to the Wii menu and it started giving me Disc Read Errors everytime I put in ANY game and did the same clicking noise. Then I followed Nintendo's instructions and unplugged my system for actually 3 days (Nintendo says 10 minutes, I just left it for awhile) and it amazingly recognized Tatsunoko vs Capcom and allowed me to play. The Wii continued to work for about 4 days then it ******* out again and now I'm stuck in the same Disc Read Error hole with the same infernal clicking. What I noticed is that the Wii is not actually spinning my dics, since when I put in a disc, I can tell it didn't move. For example, the Super Mario Galaxy 2 logo is on the right side of the disc upon putting it in, and in the same spot upon taking it out. The frustrating part is the fact that I don't know what the problem itself is.

And yeah, I was considering getting the Wii Lens Cleaner, since if it works, it'll save me $65+ and time rather than sending it to Nintendo and relying on them to fix it. The only problem is that I'm not sure if the lens is the problem. One thing is for sure, The LAST thing I want to do is spend $75 sending it in for something I can fix with $10.

35 posts since
Apr 2, 2010
Jun 28, 2010 2:38 PM in response to: AJK2853

The whirr is the disc drive rotating. The clicks are likely the lens trying to read the data on the disc & "jumping around" looking for something to read. When your Wii is reading discs properly, both sounds are heard, but the "clicking" generally happens less, since the lens can see & read the disc as it should.

Try the offical Wii Lens Cleaner - will set you back a mere $10 US.

Had the exact same issue w/ my Wii - in my case, both SSBB & Metroid Prime Trilogy were the problem games (both are dual layer discs - something Wiis can sometime struggle with). Cleaner did the trick.

2 posts since
Mar 24, 2011
Mar 24, 2011 5:00 PM in response to: JWEBB1970

Would the cleaner work to fix a brand new disc right out of the package? This is the second disc of the same game (Links Crossbow) and I only get the error message with this disc.

KNARFORECIC 1 posts since
Aug 14, 2013
Aug 14, 2013 1:27 PM in response to: SILVERSURFER17

I am experiencing the same issue with my latest copy of Links Crossbow. The disc enters the drive, makes the whirring sound and clicks... but never loads. Then the screen goes black and posts an error message advising to remove the disc, turn the wii off and refer to the owners manual for troubleshooting tips.

I have three copies of Links Crossbow, yet only the latest (a brand new clean/sealed copy) will not boot. All other games work fine. I also have Netflix loaded and have had no issues with interference as some have suggested.

Have you found a solution to this problem?

KRYSKA 4 posts since
Aug 23, 2013
Aug 23, 2013 7:12 PM in response to: AJK2853

We purchased new game - Skylanders- for kids from Amazon. After Skylanders (new purchased package) requested system update and updated the system to 4.3U, Wii now only plays Wii Resort, Wii Fit and Wii Sports. All other discs (not pirated, purchased from Amazon) give Disc Error. Repair store checked the Wii and stated problem with updated software. How can we downgrade system back or fix software problem?

ONE-OF-THREE 6,205 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 23, 2013 7:23 PM in response to: KRYSKA

KRYSKA  wrote:

We purchased new game - Skylanders- for kids from Amazon. After Skylanders (new purchased package) requested system update and updated the system to 4.3U, Wii now only plays Wii Resort, Wii Fit and Wii Sports. All other discs (not pirated, purchased from Amazon) give Disc Error. Repair store checked the Wii and stated problem with updated software. How can we downgrade system back or fix software problem?

Unfortunately, but there isn't a way to revert back to a previous system firmware version nor repair it if there was a problem during downloading and/or installing the update, so really the only thing you can do is call Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number to discuss repair options, sorry.

KRYSKA 4 posts since
Aug 23, 2013
Aug 25, 2013 5:11 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

Thank you! I tought of the options and decided to get Wii U for kids. Now Wii U (just plugged in) is requsting system update but sais cannot connect to the Nintendo Server. I opened this as a new topic, it is not related to old Wii system. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)