Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
5,359 Views 5 Replies Last post: Nov 17, 2013 7:26 PM by SNESNESCUBE64
RSS
EARTHBLOB04 23 posts since
Aug 6, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2013 8:20 PM

NES Flashing light and gray screen (Pokemon Gold version also corrupted for GameBoy)

Hello Nintendo Fans I haven't played an NES in a while because my friend has one and he lives half a tank of gas away so after hunting for an SNES I FINALLY FOUND AN NES but it has no games i just get a gray screen flashing is this normal if not i wasted $10 im hoping for a resonse tonight because im going to the flea market were you can get just about any game. ps i need help with the corrupted game if i can find it.

NUKADA1 136 posts since
Apr 5, 2010

An NES without a game pak inserted will flash its 'power light', and no audio or video will be outputted to the TV. This is completely normal.

(Note that the NES, SNES, and N64 lack any built-in-OS, and will not display anything unless a game pak is being used).

If this problem happens with a game pak, don't panic. That typically simply means that the game pak is not inserted quite right, or needs a bit of a cleaning.

If you jiggle the game around a bit, send some compressed air through, and clean the contacts off, you will typically be able to get the game to work.

(Anyone who has used an NES recently can give you some pointers).

Often times a game will then end up being displayed on-and-off with the power led flashing. Simply pressing the 'reset' button at that time will often be all it takes to make the game run as normal.

So, to verify that your NES works:

Make sure all AV cables (so, either the RF/antenna adapter or the yellow/white RCA cables) are hooked up properly and your TV is set to the proper input.

Make sure a NES game pak is inserted properly.

If one game pak does not work, I'd recommend purchasing a few more to verify whether the problem is a game pak or the console.

If you are unable to get the console to work after these steps, find a local store that sells/repairs older video game consoles. An employee there should probably be able to help you get it to work (the NES is so durable that it almost definitely would not require any real repair).

SUPERBEEFJERKY 270 posts since
Sep 24, 2013

I know how to fix Pokémon Gold, but I'm not allowed to tell in these forums. Sorry. The problem with the game is that there is a bettery inside the cartridge. This battery allowes it to keep track of what time and day it is. When this goes dead, the game will not work right.

ADS1967 11 posts since
Nov 17, 2013

The problem with the NES is that it has no game inserted. You can buy NES games on Ebay. The problom with Gold is you probaly accidently caused a strong glitch that corupted the data and the rest of the code. I am sorry about not having an answer to fixing Gold. you should try going to a place that fixes games and see if they can fix it.

SUPERBEEFJERKY 270 posts since
Sep 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 17, 2013 5:35 PM in response to: ADS1967
Re: NES Flashing light and gray screen (Pokemon Gold version also corrupted for GameBoy)

You didn't read my above post, did you? There is a battery inside the cartridge (It is this way with Pokémon Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald). It was fixed in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, but in Gold, Silver and Crystal, when this battery goes dead, the save file corrupts. This battery is to keep track of the time and date.

SNESNESCUBE64 1,121 posts since
Aug 4, 2012

SUPERBEEFJERKY  wrote:

It was fixed in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, but in Gold, Silver and Crystal, when this battery goes dead, the save file corrupts. This battery is to keep track of the time and date.

The save bsttery in pokemon 3rd gen is used for keeping track of time only. It used flash memory. On the otherhand, pokemon 2nd gen's battery kept track of the save, time, ect because the GBC cartridge did not use flash memory. Also, gameshark, glitches, dropping or abusing the cartridge can cause the data to be deleted/ corrupted.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)