529,159 Views 146 Replies Last post: Oct 18, 2014 9:20 PM by PAPAIGGY
RSS
NOA_TECH_JANE 244 posts since
Mar 31, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2010 2:14 PM

Netflix on Wii - Get Help Here!

Hi there,

So, you've heard all about people watching movies and TV shows streamed from Netflix on their Wii consoles, and you want to do it too? Well, you've come to the right place. Some questions you may have: how do I get started? how do I order a Netflix disc? how do I activate my Wii? how to I reset the parental control PIN?

We have answers to your most popular questions on our support site (such as "How do I connect my Wii to the Internet?") - click here for Netflix support info - but if you'd rather ask your own question and get an answer from our highly knowledgeable forum community, please post your Netflix questions here.  Oh, and to ask a question, you'll need a Club Nintendo account, so click here to get that process started. Then, sign in and click "Reply" to ask your Netflix question.

One thing you'll definitely need to do is connect your Wii to the Internet. We have lots of helpful info about that too:

• Support site info - click here
  • See what people are talking about on our Tech Support Forums - click here

Thanks!
NOA_Tech_Jane

76 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jul 27, 2010 7:02 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE
Re: Netflix on Wii - Get Help Here!

Setting up Netflix on your Wii when you only have a single available Internet connection (connecting via a modem).

Question: The question has come up a few times about how to set up Netflix for the first time in situations where only a single device can be connected online at a time.  Typically this is in a household where there is just a cable or DSL modem and a single connected computer - and no wired or wireless router.

Answer: Setting up Netflix for the first time requires you to be logged into your Netflix account on your computer at the same time as you have the Wii connected online.  Therefore, it is not possible to set up Netflix for the first time without having both your Wii and computer connected online.

Solutions: The good news is that you don't need to set up your Wii with Netflix at your own home.  You can bring your Wii to a friend or family member's home and set up Netflix there.  First check ahead to make sure they have a broadband Internet connection, a wireless router, and a computer.  After you are finished, your Wii console will remain activated with Netflix after you bring your console back home with you.

Another great solution is to purchase your own wireless router. Other boards on these Tech Forums such as this one are a good place to get started with picking out a wireless router. The advantage of buying your own wireless router is that you will then always be able to surf online with your computer and connect online with your Wii at the same time, and avoid the hassle of constantly switching cables back and forth between your PC and your Wii console.

GABBA901 122 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Oct 9, 2010 2:59 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_TYRONE

where do u enter the code?

1 posts since
Oct 13, 2010
Oct 13, 2010 6:24 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_TYRONE

I just got my Wii Netflix disc a few days ago. My Wii is 100 original (never modified in any way) and up to date. I ran the disc and it worked great. I watched a few movies and was very pleased. The next day I tried to run the disc again the loading screen comes up and then it just locks up. I have restarted the Wii many times, unplugged the Wii for a while, made sure I was up to date etc but nothing is working - does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next!

CRAYONSCRIBE 1 posts since
Oct 13, 2013
Oct 16, 2013 2:57 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_TYRONE
Re: Wii Movie Thumbnails and Descriptions Disappear from Menu

To any/all able to help,

I've had the Wii (Original / White) for about 5 months now. About 2 months ago I download the Netflix channel off the shop. It's ultimately been pretty good. My only complaint is the problem that follows...

Upon initial loading of the Netflix Channel, everything appears and acts as normal. However, 90% of the time, if I watch a program and get more than 5 minutes into it, then back my way up to the Home/Browse menu to find something else to watch, certain titles will be lacking the thumbnail/image that is used to show me what the cover image of the show and/or movie would be. And when I attempt to highlight (Wii Mouse Over) a title with the missing image, it is also missing the description. I will, of course attach an image for clarification if this forum will let me.

ON a final note, hitting the Wii menu and telling it to restart the NetFlix software will temporarily fix the problem. The thumbnails and descriptions all work fine until I get a few minutes into watching a title from the list.

I would like to thank you for your help ahead of time. Also, while I'd prefer to have the answer listed here publicly, I'm not sure how the forum alerts me that something has been added.

Sincerely,
The Crayon Scribe

NOTE ABOUT THE PICTURE:
In an attempt to re-create the issue, I let a show play for 10 minutes then backed out to the main menu. In this picture, you'll notice the thumbnail missing, but the description is still there. It usually isn't. So I highlighted (in RED) what is  usually missing. I then highlighted (in GREEN) the title of the movie, as it is the only thing that is typically there when this glitch occurs.

netflixwiierror.jpg

***Edited to remove personal information. Please do not post personal information on the forums.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_MIKA

SASSYSAMUROTT 15 posts since
Jun 28, 2014
Jun 30, 2014 9:31 PM in response to: CRAYONSCRIBE
Re: Wii Movie Thumbnails and Descriptions Disappear from Menu

Try redownloading Netflix.

1 posts since
Aug 2, 2010
Aug 2, 2010 11:47 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

When I stream movies through Netflix, about once every 20 minutes it pauses and a status bar pops up saying that it is "retrieving".  There is no issue with the speed of our connection because we can stream movies just fine on our laptop in a room that doesn't have as good of a connection as where the wii is.  Does anyone know what the issue is?  It "retrieves" for anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes. It's rather annoying.

Thanks!

WOODBOY 176 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 2, 2010 3:03 PM in response to: TINA264

try changing the  wireless router channel to 11

2 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 12:44 PM in response to: TINA264

I had the same problem!!!  Every 15 minutes or so retrieving! Ugh, very annoying!  I finally unplugged my Wii (the power plug) and let it sit over night.  The next day  watched an ENTIRE MOVIE with no "retrieving" message!!  Yay!  Hope this helps.

PAULTHE3RD 1 posts since
Jan 14, 2014
Jan 14, 2014 8:15 PM in response to: TINA264

Here is what I did to get my wii to play through netfix tv and movies wireless w/o disconnecting. I installed a usb to ethernet adapter [set to wired] connected to it's own router lan port. That routers wan port to dd-wrt repeater/client lan port that connects to my home wifi router. The wii is now on it's own subnet and hasn't drop since. btw I picked up the extra routers from a thrift store to test.

1 posts since
Aug 23, 2010
Aug 23, 2010 11:31 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hello,

We recently recieved our WII disk for Netflix. We are big movie people and thought that this would be a great assistance seeing as how we don't have cable. Within the last week or so our system has been making bleep noises and little pixle looking things have been appearing when we are watching movies. We have cleaned the disk and it still does it. Could it really be the system going already. We bought the system in may. Is there any thing else we can try to get this back up and running. We even requested a new disk from Netflix, it worked for about an hour before it started the same bleeps.

SSMILEEE 42 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
Aug 23, 2010 11:59 AM in response to: BEKICHI485

As others said, it may be your connection speed. Try playing other games on the Wii, check for the problems you saw when using Wii Netflix. If you do see the same problems I recommend calling Nintendo and set up a repair (you are still eligible for entirelly free repair, which will be extended for another year after they return your Wii).

If you do not see the same problems with other Wii games, check for the cables connections, both at the TV and Wii.

Check if your Wii is updated (go to system settings, at the last of options go to System Update).

Probably you did check already, but see if any scratches can be seen on the Netflix disk.

Try changing the router channel.

Turn off any unused Wi-Fi enabled devices that are close to the Wii.

Good luck, and do not worry, if you cannot fix it, Nintendo will do it for free.

AUTOSAVER1 635 posts since
Apr 2, 2010
Aug 23, 2010 12:01 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I think it would be a great idea if this thread was stickied(Featured)

SSMILEEE 42 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
Aug 23, 2010 12:12 PM in response to: AUTOSAVER1

Isn't it already?! lol

1 posts since
Sep 27, 2010
Sep 27, 2010 3:59 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I definately need help.  I've tried wireless routers (2), didn't work.  I'm now trying a modem directly connected to the Wii console.  I bought a Wii LAN adapter, but when I tried to connect I got code 52120, so I tried unplugging my modem and plugging it back in but it gave me the same code again.  Now I just read on one of the other messages that you have to also be logged in to the Netflix website on the computer but I have a question.  If my Wii is connected by a different modem than the modem my computer is connected to, will that work.  My modem for the Wii is in one room and the modem for my computer is in another.

2 posts since
Oct 6, 2010
Oct 6, 2010 12:26 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I can stream videos just fine.  The problem that I am encoutering is when I try to exit Netflix.  When I hit the home button on the Wiimote, I am getting an error message that the system files are corrupt.  I then have to manually shut down the Wii and turn it back on to get to the channel/home menu.  Is this a known problem?  How do I fix this?

Thanks!

***Edited to remove personal information. Please do not share personal information on our Tech Support Forums.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_CLAUDE

1 posts since
Oct 15, 2010
Oct 16, 2010 9:21 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hello,

I just got my Netflix disc today, plugged it in, it got me to update the Wii software, so I did. Then I input the code into the Netflix website, and the Wii started to work away. But then, it freezes, no error code, nothing. It freezes at the loading screen where it says 'Just a moment...' it will stop, and it will not let me do anything. No home button, no power button, no reset. I physically have to hold the power button to turn the Wii off after this problem.

I have tried washing the disc and it does appear scratchless. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks,

***Edited to remove personal information.***

NOA_TECH_MIKA 394 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Oct 16, 2010 10:23 AM in response to: SINOCIAN

SINOCIAN  wrote:

Hello,

I just got my Netflix disc today, plugged it in, it got me to update the Wii software, so I did. Then I input the code into the Netflix website, and the Wii started to work away. But then, it freezes, no error code, nothing. It freezes at the loading screen where it says 'Just a moment...' it will stop, and it will not let me do anything. No home button, no power button, no reset. I physically have to hold the power button to turn the Wii off after this problem.

I have tried washing the disc and it does appear scratchless. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks,

***Edited to remove personal information.***

For any sort of error messages or freezing issues, that would be a case where I would actually suggest calling us.  Give us a call at 1-800-255-3700 anytime from 6 AM to 7 PM Pacific Time.  We're open seven days a week.

One thing to check would be to see if you have any additional accessories plugged into the USB ports or the Gamecube controller ports on the system.  If you have any, unplug those and see if that helps.

2 posts since
Oct 19, 2010
Oct 20, 2010 9:49 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hello, I am at a total loss! Please help!

I am unable to get my Wii with Netflix on the internet. I have a 2wire AT&T modem, and I was told that I have to have a password to get into my system to see why the modem is not recognizing the Wii. Well, I have no idea what the password is for the modem, it is a different one other than my email account. AT&T has been no help!

So, I have been reading in the Wii booklet, and it says that I could manually connect an access point. Is this true?

Could this be done without having a password to get into my compter system modem?

Also, I read where I could take my Wii to someone else's house & set it up with Netflix with their computer & it would work on mine when I brought it back. Is this true?

I would really appreciate any help with this! I have been struggling with this now for a week. It really shouldn't be this difficult just to watch Netflix!

Thank you!!!

1 posts since
Oct 22, 2010
Oct 22, 2010 6:00 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Help! I'm trying to watch Netflix movies. Every time I try to retrieve a movie, it tells me "Cannot connect to Netflix. Please try again later." I've tried several days now but nothing. I can go on the internet, I have activated my account, I've downloaded all the updates and everything I can think of to get it to work. I can watch movies on my PC. I don't know what else to try.

2 posts since
Dec 14, 2010
Dec 14, 2010 4:46 PM in response to: AMS6231970

This is the same problem I have

1 posts since
Dec 22, 2010
Dec 23, 2010 9:59 PM in response to: AMS6231970

I'm having this same problem with my wii saying it cannot connet with netflix try again later.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

1 posts since
Jun 23, 2011
Jun 23, 2011 4:47 PM in response to: AMS6231970

I am having the same problems can watch them on my lap top with no problem but not threw my wii

2 posts since
Jun 25, 2011
Jun 25, 2011 9:23 AM in response to: AMS6231970

Did you ever get this figured out because this is the same problem I'm having....and I don';t know what to do.

1 posts since
Oct 24, 2010
Oct 24, 2010 9:01 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hi NOA_Tech_Jane,

Regarding Watching Streaming Movies with my Netflix account on my Wii.

I have updated to the latest software via the Wii Shop Channel, I have downloaded the Netflix software. (I did this when I first got the notification about it) I have made sure that the "Connection 1" says wireless and tested it successfully, I have an account with Netflix (2 unlimited anytime) and in the Wii Shop Channel there is only a way to BUY downloads. There is no channel that says, "Instant Streaming via Netflix".

However, all that said, my Netflix via Wii works perfectly if I have the Netflix disc inserted... What am I missing?

Thanks, WiiDaryl

35 posts since
Sep 8, 2010
Nov 2, 2010 3:10 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I'm interested in the trial period, but I have a question - Will the trial require a credit card to use? I don't have a Netflix Account and can't afford one.

1 posts since
Nov 13, 2010
Nov 14, 2010 10:50 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I have my Wii all set and can watch netflix movies But my movies are all Black and White. What am I doing wrong? I have tried plugging the AV plugs in all the component places on my TV but only get Black and White. Thanks.

1 posts since
Nov 15, 2010
Nov 15, 2010 12:01 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I have time warner as my internet provider, but I keep getting can not connect to the internet when I am on netflix, or if I do get on it keeps rebooting  itself every few minutes.  I am also not sure about if I have it hooked up right from my laptop to the wii.

Thank you for your help

1 posts since
Nov 29, 2010
Nov 29, 2010 11:33 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I am continuing to get this error message below, does anyone know what it mean's, or what i need to continue on with my Wii/Internet set up.

Error Code: 51030, Unable to find access point. Please Confirm the SSID and try again.

1 posts since
Dec 10, 2010
Dec 10, 2010 3:11 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE
Can't get past the loading screen

My new Wii Netflix was working just fine until today.  My kids watched 3 movies yesterday. Now, today I can't even get past the loading screen.  I just keep getting a "cannot connect" error message with no code.  Netflix technical support refers me to Nintendo....

My Shop Channel and News Channel work just fine so I don't think it's a connection problem....

I HAVE reset my router, reset my Wii, cleared my Wii internet settings and put them back in....all to no avail

I'm at a dead end - ready to cancel my Netflix account alltogether out of frustration.

2 posts since
Dec 14, 2010
Dec 14, 2010 4:35 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Iam able to get on netflix and add and take things out of my instant que I can conect to the internet however when I try to play a show from my instant que it wont retrieve it and says can not connect to netflix try again later. I have tried for two days now and still cant watch anything. I down loaded the netflix channel from wii shop channel. I have fully updated the wii sys through the sys update downloads.  the wii was secsessfully conected to my netflix account their tech support says it is on your end. I just rechecked all connections and doublechecked that it was connected to my netflix account. Can you help or do I buy A PS3?

2 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 8:25 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

There is another issue being discussed here: http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/22949.  In short, several of us are having a problem where, while watching streaming video (that has already started) through the Netflix channel (not the streaming disk) we receive a dialog box stating that the connection to netflix has been lost.  "Try again" doesn't work and to resume viewing we need to quit out of the channel and re-enter it.  This is a pretty severe issue.  Though the thread I point to is marked as having a "correct answer" the issue remains unresolved.

SSMILEEE 42 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 8:36 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Although Netflix app works perfect on my Nintendo Wii, I did get problems before like the ones reported in this forum. In my case I was getting the error or disconnection messages due to my internet having slowdowns or internet speed that the Netflix app "considered" insufficient to work properly, therefore promting the messages and not allowing me to watch movies.

Once I solved my internet speed issue, Netflix started working fine. I am not saying this is exclusivelly an ISP problem or that my case is the same all others, but I am just throwing an idea on how to try solving it.

Good luck to all.

1 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Jan 1, 2011 2:19 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I have done everything on your website...updated my wii, internet connection, country, etc., user agreements, went to the wii shop just as described, couldn't find netflix, so I searched, found it, attempted to download it and it said it was unavailable.  Went through the entire process all over again and nothing.  Please help me

1 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Jan 1, 2011 2:36 AM in response to: SPANKKER1975

I have the same problem . . . I followed all the steps too!  I would appreciate help too!

1 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Jan 1, 2011 6:49 AM in response to: MESHEL

same problem - I've linked everything and reloaded and the netflix download isn't there

1 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Jan 1, 2011 8:13 AM in response to: JENWATER93

Same here, the channel isn't there anywhere I can find.

1 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Jan 1, 2011 8:20 AM in response to: ELUISEM

Same problem

22 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011 6:09 PM in response to: JENWATER93

I've never heard of anyone being required to sign up for Club Nintendo before getting Netflix to work.  In my experiece if the netflix channel is not listed it is because your country is set to one where netflix is not supported.  Change your country to United States and you should see netflix appear.

Dingus

3 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Jan 1, 2011 9:02 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

ONE ANSWER

you need club nintendo account AND have it linked!!!!!!

thanks to no one at nintendo

good luck happy watching

1 posts since
Jan 1, 2011
Jan 1, 2011 11:16 AM in response to: BIGBAD53

Thank you for letting us know that we had to join Club Nintendo!  That was the problem and now it works.  It only took about 4 hours for something that should be of been so simple.  Happy New Year and THANK YOU!

22 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011 6:21 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

In my experience if you already had netflix set up and it's giving you errors while watching videos then you either have insufficient bandwidth, interferance problems, or DNS issues.

1. Run a speed test and if you have less than 1.5mbs down then you need a faster internet connection.

2. Check for interferance and/or change your router's wireless channel.

3. Change your DNS settings to manual.

Dingus

1 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011 7:00 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I just got netflix and I've been trying for 2 days to get it to work - I tried connecting my nintendo club acct to my wii but it's still not working. someone tell me how to fix it?

SSMILEEE 42 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
Jan 2, 2011 8:03 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, if your internet speed is not about a certain mbps (1.5 mbps, correct me if I am wrong) then Netflix will not be able to initialize its app nor stream videos through the Wii. Your mbps download and upload speed averages on the Wii is not the same as in your computer or other internet devices.

In order to properly measure your Wii's internet speed, open the Internet Channel on the Wii, and go to www.speedtest.net . It is a safe web page to anonymously test you internet device's speed, the same site also has apps to be downloaded to your mobile devices to measure internet speed on them if you would like to.

From there on you will have more information as to your Wii's internet speed and maybe why you are having problems with Netflix streaming (note also that wireless internet speed isn't as fast as wired internet speed in case you didn't know, so it contributes to Wii's slower internet speed).

Also don't hesitate from calling Netflix help line or even Nintendo of America, they are friendly people that work to help us out with these kinds of situations.

Good luck, and Happy New Year to All.

1 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
Jan 10, 2011 8:48 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I'm having a strange problem that's driving my wife and I nuts.  We are attempting to watch episodes of an old British comedy called Keeping Up Appearances instantly via the Netflix channel on our Wii.  Certain episodes (about 7 or 8 of them in all) won't play corretly no matter what I do (when I play them the video is skewed diagonally - it's the same way every time - video skewed at about a 45 degree angle w/ screen split, so to speak, in 3 equal parts and audio seems just fine).

When I log into our online account I can watch the same episodes just fine via my online account.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Netflix channel, removing / readding the episodes to our instant queue, starting the episodes from the beginning...all to no avail.  I notice that on the main episode list the episode numbers that play fine are in grey but the episodes that fail are in black (so the "34", "35", "36"...are either in grey or black - hope that makes sense.  Not sure how else to explain it).  I've done the "report an issue with an episode" thing on my Netflix account a few times now but nothing has been resovled.

Anyone else experience this?  Have you ran into episodes / movies / etc that you can't play on your Wii but they play fine online?  Is there a fix?

Thanks much,

***Edited to remove personal information.  Please do not post personal info on the tech forums.  Thanks!***

1 posts since
Jan 11, 2011
Jan 11, 2011 12:55 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

My speeds are fine (tested and exceed minimum limits), my Wii is connected to my Netflix account, DNS is fine, router is appropriately set up and on the correct channel for maximum wii compatibility, everything works... up until 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through a movie retrieval. Then I get a "could not connect to Netflix, please try again later" error.

This is really driving me batty. Can anyone help me?

Calling tech support is not so much of an option. I don't have a landline, my cell connection is spotty at best (I WILL drop the call at least twice), and I have to pay for its use by the minute. If I could get help online, that would be ideal!

Thank you!

2 posts since
Jan 25, 2011
Jan 25, 2011 5:47 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I bought a pre-owned wii from gamestop yesterday. There was already Netflix on there and I'm not sure how to replace the previous owner's account with my own. Also, what would happen if I deleted the netflix blocks from the saved info in the data management section? I'm so confused. Please help! D:

AUTOSAVER1 635 posts since
Apr 2, 2010
Feb 5, 2011 11:27 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

So you're saying that Netflix already has an account active on it?

I suppose deleting the channel/data(Netflix) off the Wii would work. That is how it worked on my PS3.

2 posts since
Jan 25, 2011
Feb 5, 2011 4:31 PM in response to: AUTOSAVER1

And that's how it worked on my Wii! Thanks a lot. ^^

2 posts since
Feb 11, 2011
Feb 11, 2011 8:02 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I am having issues with the wii and my internet connection watching netflix I consistently get a retriving message.  I have a lan adapter and can connect to netflix, however when I test the speed of the connection through www.speedtest.net I get 500k and 900k but I have a 3meg connection, I have disconnected all other devices and have had no change, I have run speedtest through the wired connection on a pc and get between 2meg to 3 meg, as well as the wireless on an pc and get between 2meg 3meg. I am using a westell 7500 router over Frontier Communication network. I have contacted netflix they only say to check with the internet provider, I check with the internet provider and they say they do not guarentee speeds and will not assist further. I need to get it over 1.5meg to work reliabily but cannot get it. I am not sure if it is the wii or the router or just simple settings. please help.

Apr 1, 2010
Feb 11, 2011 9:39 AM in response to: POWERUSER101

POWERUSER101  wrote:

I am having issues with the wii and my internet connection watching netflix I consistently get a retriving message.  I have a lan adapter and can connect to netflix, however when I test the speed of the connection through www.speedtest.net I get 500k and 900k but I have a 3meg connection, I have disconnected all other devices and have had no change, I have run speedtest through the wired connection on a pc and get between 2meg to 3 meg, as well as the wireless on an pc and get between 2meg 3meg. I am using a westell 7500 router over Frontier Communication network. I have contacted netflix they only say to check with the internet provider, I check with the internet provider and they say they do not guarentee speeds and will not assist further. I need to get it over 1.5meg to work reliabily but cannot get it. I am not sure if it is the wii or the router or just simple settings. please help.

Hi POWERUSER101,

Just to confirm what you're saying, when you run a speed test and get 500k and 900k, you're talking about on the Wii with a LAN adapter correct?  Are you running this speed test from the Internet Channel?

If anything, we're ruling out wireless interference, so we're looking at some kind of issue with the interaction between the Wii > LAN Adapter > Modem/Router.  Are you going through a router or modem with the LAN adapter?

2 posts since
Feb 11, 2011
Feb 12, 2011 2:28 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_MIKA

Thank you for replying, I am getting 500 to 900k using the lan adapter over the wii internet channel using opera and going to the website www.speedtest.net. I have also tried two different lan adapters  to rule it out. and am connected through a DSL all in one modem/wireless/wired router being a westell 7500 modem/router I have also tried different cables to rule out a cable issue. I just ran Speedtest again and got 257 ping, 0.71mbps download and 0.06 mbps upload, my internet is configured for 3.0 mbps download and 0.7 mbps upload this is Saturday at 5:00 pm. on my laptop I just tested 193 ping, 2.52 mbps download and 0.51 mbps upload through the wireless connection. I also configured my wireless to connect to the wii and it is less then 1 foot from the wireless router and tested the speed again through this connection and got 295 ping, 0.34 mbps download and 0.06 mbps upload. thank you for your help.

Apr 1, 2010
Feb 14, 2011 8:20 AM in response to: POWERUSER101

It's clear the the Wii is getting significantly lower speeds than your computers, so ultimately there's a setting issue between the Wii and the router.  It's clearly not wireless interference, since these problems existed with an Ethernet connection.  This is where we need to access your router and see what's up.  Many times, this can be related to your router's firewall or other security settings, but we'd need to take a look.

I'm going to recommend that you call us for more advanced troubleshooting:

1-800-255-3700

6 AM - 7 PM PST

4 posts since
Feb 12, 2011
Feb 13, 2011 11:23 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

So lately my Netflix channel has been freezing, a lot. It has been getting worse as the weeks go on. Typically it will freeze once you hit "start" after clicking on the Netflix channel from the main menu.

So tonight I wanted to see if it was just Netfix or all channels. The Weather channel worked just fine. But the channel for Zelda did the same thing the Netflix channel does. I haven't had any problems with reading a disc. There are no error codes at anytime.

I think tonight it was at it's worst. It took at least 5 times of it freezing before we got it to go through and Netflix finally worked. If at all possible, I would love to avoid having to pay to send it in.

I'm not the most technilogically inclined person so please help!

(I did post this in the channel area originally but someone said to check this discussion out. I don't know if it's a Neflix thing or what. My guess is that it may not be just Netflix since the Zelda channel froze as well.)

Apr 1, 2010
Feb 14, 2011 8:23 AM in response to: RED67CAMAROGIRL

RED67CAMAROGIRL  wrote:

So lately my Netflix channel has been freezing, a lot. It has been getting worse as the weeks go on. Typically it will freeze once you hit "start" after clicking on the Netflix channel from the main menu.

So tonight I wanted to see if it was just Netfix or all channels. The Weather channel worked just fine. But the channel for Zelda did the same thing the Netflix channel does. I haven't had any problems with reading a disc. There are no error codes at anytime.

I think tonight it was at it's worst. It took at least 5 times of it freezing before we got it to go through and Netflix finally worked. If at all possible, I would love to avoid having to pay to send it in.

I'm not the most technilogically inclined person so please help!

(I did post this in the channel area originally but someone said to check this discussion out. I don't know if it's a Neflix thing or what. My guess is that it may not be just Netflix since the Zelda channel froze as well.)

Hello RED67CAMAROGIRL

To start, do you have any accessories plugged into the Wii other than the AV cables, AC adapter, and sensor bar cord?  More specifically, anything in the Wii's USB ports or Gamecube Controller ports?  Any memory or SD cards?

If your answer is "No" to all of these, then it's going to be best that we speak to you directly:

1-800-255-3700

6 AM to 7 PM PST

4 posts since
Feb 12, 2011
Feb 17, 2011 5:09 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_MIKA

Thank you!

I don't believe we have anything else plugged in. I will check to make sure and then will probably be calling!

Thanks again.

9 posts since
Feb 21, 2011
Feb 21, 2011 9:42 AM in response to: RED67CAMAROGIRL

In the event someone else it having issues, Netflix checks your internet connection/speed everytime it starts/initializes to determine buffering. If your connection is good at the start and then someone else on your network starts utilizing bandwidth, your initial buffer setting will become inadequate and will force Netflix perform poorly. In that situation, it is best to exit Netflix and reload, as it will then remeasure your connection speed and make adjustments to maximize your playback.

1 posts since
Mar 8, 2011
Mar 8, 2011 9:41 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I have Netflix on my Wii and it works wonderfully...I want to set up Netflix on another Wii in the same house.  Can I do this?  Is it possible to have 2 Wiis streaming Netflix simulaneously?

Thanks!

194 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Mar 8, 2011 11:59 AM in response to: MAMAWILL

MAMAWILL  wrote:

I have Netflix on my Wii and it works wonderfully...I want to set up Netflix on another Wii in the same house.  Can I do this?  Is it possible to have 2 Wiis streaming Netflix simulaneously?

Thanks!

Welcome to Nintendo's Tech Support Forums

I would suggest you contact Netflix, to determine whether your account supports multiple Wii consoles simultaneously.

1 posts since
Mar 9, 2011
Mar 9, 2011 7:35 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Update: Fixed, yay!

Seems like it was just a minor streaming error.

It seems something has recently happened to some people trying to connect to netflix on the Wii.  I am having the same trouble myself. Some possibly relavant details about my setup:

I've been using netflix on the wii for months, never any trouble before now.

Connected to a wireless network via a router (an old lynksys).

Internet Provider:Comcast. I'm living in San Jose, California.

See also:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/28721#28721

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/28722#28722

And

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110309131518AAlgg15

1 posts since
Mar 13, 2011
Mar 13, 2011 2:35 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hi all,

I want to install Netflix on my Wii ...

I have a netflix account. I have a Wii that I have connected to internet.

The issue is (probably) : I bought my Wii in France (yes, I'm french), but moved to New York.

And when I go to the Wii Shop Channels, there is no netflix available ...

Can anybody help ?

Apr 1, 2010
Mar 14, 2011 9:41 AM in response to: GLEMA

GLEMA  wrote:

Hi all,

I want to install Netflix on my Wii ...

I have a netflix account. I have a Wii that I have connected to internet.

The issue is (probably) : I bought my Wii in France (yes, I'm french), but moved to New York.

And when I go to the Wii Shop Channels, there is no netflix available ...

Can anybody help ?

Hi GLEMA,

As Netflix is only available in the United States and Canada, only North American systems will have the option to download the Netflix Instant Streaming Channel.  You will need a North American system to be able to access the appropriate Wii Shop Channel content if you wish to use Netflix.

If you have any further questions, I would recommend contacting our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-255-3700.  We are available seven days a week from 6 AM to 7 PM Pacific Time.

1 posts since
Mar 20, 2011
Mar 23, 2011 10:48 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I have the Netflix account set up and everything was working great for a few months.

Had a power spike that took out the AC adapter for the Wii, so I bought a new one yesterday.

When I go to the Netflix channel, the only option I have is to view my instant queue.  I cannot browse, and it does not show categories.  the ONLY thing I can look at is the instant queue.  I have restarted the console a couple of times, but no luck

Ideas?

1 posts since
Mar 22, 2011
Mar 23, 2011 10:48 AM in response to: EDROX99

I just realized I am having the same problem (haven't tried to use the Netflix in a week or so).  I can pull up my instant queue, and have the search function, but no browsing.  I tried restarting everything, and re-installed my wireless connection....  nothing is helping.  Have you found any solutions yet?

1 posts since
Mar 22, 2011
Mar 23, 2011 10:49 AM in response to: RACH212

exact same thing here i havent used netflix for a few weeks and now im not able to browse at all

2 posts since
Mar 23, 2011
Mar 23, 2011 5:17 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I set up Netflix on our Wii after buying a Cisco Wireless Router.  Followed the instructions and it worked great that night, the next morning and through the day.  Then in the late afternoon it wouldn't connect and the code was 51330 or something like that refering to the Network Key and Security WEP/WA2.  So I looked and realized I chose WEP the first time I set it up.  So, after clearing settings I started the process over.  This time I tried WA2, and it worked.  Worked all night, next morning, throughout the day until the late afternoon where it wouldn't connect again.  I did the same thing, but this time tried getting some technical assistance from our Cable/IT Provider.  They didn't really know but helped me understand the WA2 and other wireless router questions.  Got it working again.  Now on the third day, it's doing the exact same thing.  If it continues we won't have Netflix anymore.  What's the use?  I love it when it works.

Any questions or ideas that come to mind?  I would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2010
Mar 27, 2011 7:53 AM in response to: LINKSONI

LINKSONI  wrote:

I set up Netflix on our Wii after buying a Cisco Wireless Router.  Followed the instructions and it worked great that night, the next morning and through the day.  Then in the late afternoon it wouldn't connect and the code was 51330 or something like that refering to the Network Key and Security WEP/WA2.  So I looked and realized I chose WEP the first time I set it up.  So, after clearing settings I started the process over.  This time I tried WA2, and it worked.  Worked all night, next morning, throughout the day until the late afternoon where it wouldn't connect again.  I did the same thing, but this time tried getting some technical assistance from our Cable/IT Provider.  They didn't really know but helped me understand the WA2 and other wireless router questions.  Got it working again.  Now on the third day, it's doing the exact same thing.  If it continues we won't have Netflix anymore.  What's the use?  I love it when it works.

Any questions or ideas that come to mind?  I would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks!

Hi LINKSONI,

It sounds like we might need to troubleshoot a little bit, but I think some clarification on what your router is doing is all that will be necessary.  This error means that the Wii is being denied access, usually due to a security problem, so verifying how exactly your router is set up will be the first step.  We could also potentially be looking at an interference issue, and that's simply changing your router's wireless channel.  Channels 1 or 11 usually do it.

In regards to the security, it's important to note exactly what your router is set up for.  You mentioned WEP and "WA2" (I assume you mean WPA2) but the router isn't going to use both of those at the same time.  We need to know specifically which type the router is using.  This is going to require looking at the router's actual settings:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/routers/index.jsp

Since you mention the Wii working with two different types, I'm suspecting that there is an issue with how the router's security is being communicated and detected, which is why verifying exactly how it's set up in the router's settings is crucial.

Take your connection file that you've set up, and select "Change Settings."  Go to the second page over to the right, and you'll be taken to a security settings screen.  Make sure WPA2 is manually selected and enter in your password once more.  WPA2 is case-sensitive.  Confirm the changes and save the settings.  If the error persists, then I would recommend giving us a call at 1-800-255-3700.  We're available seven days a week from 6 AM to 7 PM Pacific Time.

2 posts since
Mar 23, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 2:13 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_MIKA

Yes, this helps.  I did mean WPA2. I have found that the easiest way to fix this problem when the Wii can't connect is to unplug my modem and wireless router for one minute.  I plug the modem back in and wait for it to get online.  I then plug the wireless router in and I connect.  The other thing I have tried is leaving my Wii Menu remain on all day and night.  I haven't tried a different channel on my wireless router yet, but received good advice from Nintendo Support.  I didn't know what channel to try, but it currently defaults on channel six.  I would have never known to access and log in the secure wireless router site for Cisco Linksys.  For now, I am making it work.

Thanks again!

2 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 12:47 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hi, I signed up to let people know about my "retrieving" issues!  For some, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  Every 15-20 minutes your Wii is "retrieving" from Netflix right in the middle of your movie.  I unplugged the power cord on my Wii and let it sit over-night.  The next day I watched an entire movie with no "retrieving" messages!!  Aww, the smell of victory!!

2 posts since
Apr 2, 2011
Apr 2, 2011 7:13 PM in response to: APRILNMIAMI

Please help me resolve this aggravating Error Code 51330!  It is driving me crazy.  I am reasonably tech savvy, so details are fine.

I have an Airlink 101 Dual Band Wireless N Router that is only about 3 months old (bought when I was desparately trying everything to get my iPad to connect after upgrading to iOS 4.2).  I have it configured as follows:

Static IP

DHCP enabled

MTU: Auto

WPA2 Personal

AES

I have re-checked the pasword only God himself knows how many times

Wireless MAC Filter: Disabled

I have been through the Wii wireless set up menu AT LEAST 10 times, and STILL, I always get the same stupid Error Code 51330!!!! 

I've manually entered the IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS, MTU, in SEVERAL different variations (some of which worked for FINALLY getting the iPad to connect).

What the heck am I missing?

ONE-OF-THREE 6,439 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 2, 2011 7:40 PM in response to: PAYETDDS

PAYETDDS  wrote:

Please help me resolve this aggravating Error Code 51330!  It is driving me crazy.  I am reasonably tech savvy, so details are fine.

I have an Airlink 101 Dual Band Wireless N Router that is only about 3 months old (bought when I was desparately trying everything to get my iPad to connect after upgrading to iOS 4.2).  I have it configured as follows:

Static IP

DHCP enabled

MTU: Auto

WPA2 Personal

AES

I have re-checked the pasword only God himself knows how many times

Wireless MAC Filter: Disabled

I have been through the Wii wireless set up menu AT LEAST 10 times, and STILL, I always get the same stupid Error Code 51330!!!! 

I've manually entered the IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS, MTU, in SEVERAL different variations (some of which worked for FINALLY getting the iPad to connect).

What the heck am I missing?

Have you tried looking up the error code, but if not the 51330 error code information can be found by clicking here and is also copyand pasted below to see if it might be helpful.

Error Code: 51330

Unable to connect to your wireless network

Likely cause: It appears that the security  settings entered into the Wii console are not the same as what your  wireless router is set to allow.

How to fix: Make sure the security key and security type are entered into the Wii exactly as they appear in your router's settings.

Don't know how to find your router's security key?

Let us help! Select the brand of your router below and we'll show you how to access your router's settings.
Linksys      Netgear      DLink
Belkin      Apple      2Wire

Once you have entered the correct WEP or WPA key into your system,  try the connection test again. If the problem persists, keep reading  this page.

Additional information:

• Using an Actiontec or 2Wire router? The default security key is often found on a sticker located on the router.
  • Security keys are case-sensitive.
  • WEP keys contain numbers 0 through 9, and only letters A through F.

Other suggestions:

• Did this connection used to work but has suddenly stopped?  "Power cycle" your router and modem. To do this, unplug both the modem  and the router from the power outlet. Wait a few minutes, and plug the  modem back in. Wait a couple of minutes for the modem to initialize,  then plug in the router. Try to connect the Wii, Nintendo DS, or  Nintendo 3DS online and test for proper response.

• The Wii may have detected and set itself  to the wrong security type during the initial connection set up. Try  creating a new connection file and going through the connection process  again (steps),  but be sure that when the Wii asks for a security code, the type shown  on screen (WEP or WPA) is what your router is set to. If it is  different, try a "Manual Setup."
  • Change your router's channel setting to 1 or 11. By default, most routers broadcast on channel 6, which overlaps with other channels and may be weaker. For help doing this, click here and select your router brand and model (if available). The information you need is found in the "Broadcast Channel:" area.

Still stuck? We can help! We have an  easy-to-follow guide that will walk you through the process of finding  your router's security key. Even if you're sure you've entered the  correct security key, we suggest following our guide to create a  new  connection file and start over. If at the end you still need help,  you'll find contact information to reach our specially-trained  representatives.

If you are still getting this error code after trying the steps above, please call 1-800-255-3700 for further assistance.

2 posts since
Apr 2, 2011
Apr 3, 2011 7:04 AM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

One-of-Three,

I kind of thought I had made it clear in my question that I have enough technical knowledge to have already tested all of those suggestions.  Yes, I have changed the channel (tried BOTH 1 and 11), I have tried BOTH the Auto-Obtain IP/DNS/etc AND the Manual Configuration options, I have cycled the power on/off several times, etc etc etc.  I know the router security type, security key, and how to verify and change them if necessary, etc.

I guess I'll have to call the hotline on Monday during lunch.

1 posts since
Apr 3, 2011
Apr 3, 2011 11:07 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Read through the whole thread on Wii-Netflix issues. Didn't see anything reguarding the one issue we're having with Netflix. And that's the sound.  While the video is outstanding via Wii-Netflix, the sound is aweful. Often times we have to raise the sound on our Viso 32" 1080p flat screen to 60 or more. Then if you forget to turn it down after playing something and return to either the Wii menu or switch the tv back to watch something on DishTV, the sound is blairing!

Our ip is ATT's dsl service 6m down 3 up. Haven't tested via speed test on the internet channel, as wife, her mom and our daughter are watching something right now. Honestly, not sure that's the issue. Unlike others the only time I see that cannot connect error is when my mother-in-law calls some place long distance. As soon as she hangs up the issue resolves itself.

I did call Netflix about the issue, and they told me I need to contact Nintendo's support about the issue. Something about a setting that needs to be changed on the Wii, in order to get better sound.

Please advise as what we should do. I've concidered getting replacement audio/video cable from Wii to TV, so that I could connect via componante (like a dvd player does) instead of composite like vcr's did. But I'm not all sure that would help either.

Suggestions?

1 posts since
Apr 18, 2011
Apr 18, 2011 6:20 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hello,

I have just setup a new Netflix account, and was able to watch a movie from my PC.  When I downloaded the channel for the Wii, and try to run it all I get is a warning stating that I can't get access, and if this continues to see netflix.com/tvhelp.

I haven't found anywhere to get the "activation code" required.  It wasn't provided to me during the download process (well not that I could see). I have tried to delete both the channel and the saved data on multiple occassions without any luck.

If someone could provide detailed instructions (don't point to the Wii ones, since they don't tell you where to get the activation code from).   that would be greatly apprecaited.

thank you

427 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 21, 2011 6:46 PM in response to: FAUREPA

FAUREPA  wrote:

Hello,

I have just setup a new Netflix account, and was able to watch a movie from my PC.  When I downloaded the channel for the Wii, and try to run it all I get is a warning stating that I can't get access, and if this continues to see netflix.com/tvhelp.

I haven't found anywhere to get the "activation code" required.  It wasn't provided to me during the download process (well not that I could see). I have tried to delete both the channel and the saved data on multiple occassions without any luck.

If someone could provide detailed instructions (don't point to the Wii ones, since they don't tell you where to get the activation code from).   that would be greatly apprecaited.

thank you

It should have provided you with a code as soon as you selected to start the Netflix Channel. I would recommend giving our Consumer Service office a call so they can troubleshoot the issue with you. They can be reached at 1-800-255-3700. They are available 6am-7pm Pacific Time, seven days a week.

2 posts since
Apr 22, 2011
Apr 22, 2011 7:34 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

HI, I've had my wii since they came out and I've had netflix for the wii (i use the disc) since last year. I stopped using it for awhile because we got a new tv and I hadn't hooked up the wii yet, but it used to work perfectly fine. Now it gives me this message everytime I try and run the disc that says "DISABLED_USER" and I don't know what to do. When the message comes up, the only option is to "Quit" and go back to the wii home menu. There is no error code so I don't know what to do. I was playing Lego Harry Potter a couple days ago and it worked perfectly fine, so I have no idea what to do. Please help!

2 posts since
Apr 22, 2011
Apr 22, 2011 7:43 AM in response to: CFIRE

NEVERMIND! I RESOLVED IT! I JUST DOWNLOADED THE NETFLIX CHANNEL FROM THE WII SHOP CHANNEL AND IT WORKS FINE!

2 posts since
May 8, 2011
May 8, 2011 1:39 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hello,

Having a weird problem, and hoping someone can help out.

When we log on to Netflix on Wii, it brings up our instant queue and ONLY our instant queue.  It won't give us any other browsing options.  It will let us search for a title by name, but that's it.  This just started happening a couple of days ago.  Is there a fix for this?  Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance...

1 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 4:00 PM in response to: RAMENBEAST

I'm having the same problem as Ramenbeast. I cannot scroll up or down, and Netflix will only let me see my instant queue. This is really aggravating, have not had this trouble before.

Also, another weird problem I keep encountering - We have multiple systems and when we switch the cables to one say, from the Wii to the XBOX, and then go back to the Wii, I ALWAYS have to go into my router info on the computer and save my own security info over again (I don't even have to change it, I just hit save) and then my Wii will go online. The Wii doesn't get it's power cord unplugged and it's wireless so I'm not disconnecting any cable to my router. It just throws this fit when I switch the hookups for sound/picture for systems.

4 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 5:44 PM in response to: CHAZZFOX

My family is having the same problem. Sometimes the Netflix just doesn't load and tells us that the connection is unavailable and gives us the option to exit or try again, and sometimes it takes us to the "instant qeue" but we can't scroll or anything. Please help. This is REALLY REALLY frustrating. Does anyone have suggestions? I switched my wireless router channel to 11, uninstalled, reinstalled, and reactivated netflix and everything. I can't figure out what's wrong. Please help.

2 posts since
May 8, 2011
May 10, 2011 1:35 PM in response to: PHANTOMLOVER13

So it's not just us, then.  I hope they can find a fix for this.  My wife wants to cancel Netflix outright because of this.  I don't want to do that, though.

Hope someone sees this who knows what's going on.

1 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 5:34 PM in response to: RAMENBEAST

I've just started having the same problem too.  Last worked on 2011/05/05

Now I just have the Instant queue.  The help pops up to indicate I can use the D-Pad the scroll Up and Down, but nothing happens.

1 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 6:37 PM in response to: WIS52CHEESE

Yea...I JUST started having the same prob  tonight. It was totally fine this morning/midday, but now it won't even connect! It happened both at my sis's house while I was babysitting and now it's happening at my house...so am thinking that it's WAY too coincidental to be a Wii problem and must be a Netflix problem....unless it's a matter of updating the Netflix WiiWare, which I've checked around and didn't see any sign of that available....totally have no idea what the possible problem could be.

4 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 7:08 PM in response to: BETTINAMARIE

I agree, this is way too coincidental. It was working fine until I exited it to play again, and when I tried to open it back up, that's when the message started popping up. I did the troubleshooting on the Netflix side and it told me to contact WII support, so that's why I posted here. Someone told me that the Netflix servers were hacked or something....? But, I don't see how that could be related cause Netflix is working on my PC and laptop. sooo yeah I'd just really like for this issue to be resolved. Anyone with tips, please help.

1 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 6:53 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hi, I downloaded the Netflix channel for the Wii about a month ago and it has worked fine. I recently got my internet set up today and Netflix worked fine this morning before I laid down. But tonight, it's a whole different story.

I go click on netflix and the red screen goes to 'Just a moment' and stays there for awhile then says 'cannot connect to netflix, please visit netflix.com/tvhelp.' And I did. I unplugged the Wii, the router. I erased my internet settings on the wii and re-entered them. I deleted the netflix channel and re-downloaded it. Deactived it and reactived it and it is STILL not working. I even entered all my information over in my router set up.

I don't have any idea what could be wrong. I can get on any other channel that uses internet on the Wii and it works fine. I can watch Netflix fine on my laptop and iPod but the Wii is just, I don't know.

I'm not sure if I need to call someone but I won't be able to make any calls until Thursday.

So please, please, PLEASE, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

1 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 8:01 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

My Netflix on the Wii is no longer working. It was working till 6pm today 5/5/11. Now the only thing that pops up is my Instant Queue, and that works! but i'm unable to do anything else. Why is it not working??? Netflix on the computer works, and the Xbox360.

How do I fix the wii, or is there a reason it's not working. need some kind of info

4 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 9, 2011 8:56 PM in response to: SAMANTHA5460

I think that it's a Netflix Server problem. We all seem to have gotten the message at the same time.

3 posts since
Oct 29, 2010
May 9, 2011 8:58 PM in response to: PHANTOMLOVER13

I'm also having this issue. Netflix's website help is no good, as it directed me here. I just used the service earlier today (watching Ghost in the Shell series), but now it won't connect to the Wii at all.

Did Nintendo suddenly end their contract with Netflix on Wii to make us all buy 3DS's?

ONE-OF-THREE 6,439 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
May 9, 2011 9:10 PM in response to: ZKKALKING

ZKKALKING  wrote:

Did Nintendo suddenly end their contract with Netflix on Wii to make us all buy 3DS's?

Sorry you are having problems with the Netflix service, but no that isn't the reason, as the 3DS does not have Netflix on it.:)

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/33629#33629

It is more likely as the user Sunshine1972 reported that "there is a message that immediately comes on that says they are having  problems with netflix connecting to the wii. They are working to resolve  this issue."

3 posts since
Oct 29, 2010
May 10, 2011 9:29 AM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

Uhm..."3DS does not have Netflix".

._. Yes it does. Or rather, it will. The eShop includes it, Reggie brought it up during the 3DS eShop unveiling.

However, thanks for the other link.

4 posts since
May 9, 2011
May 10, 2011 7:15 AM in response to: SAMANTHA5460

Ok, so it's working today. So whatever whoever did, thanks. ^_^

1 posts since
May 10, 2011
May 10, 2011 11:25 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Still is not working, cannot connect to netflix.  Already deleted the netflix channel, reinstalled and nothing.

The disc doesn't work, after loading a message on the screen: "user disabled".

PC, iphone works fine.

Contacted netflix and they said they having problems with wii customers only, and they reported the problem to tech support.

I hope they fix this soon.

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 3:57 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I have the Wii console and have the Netflix channel.  Things were working just fine on Monday.  Today when I try to access Netflix on my Wii console I'm getting a message that says "Cannon connect to Netflix.  Please Try again later.  If the problem persists, please visit netflix.com/tvhelp on your computer".  I rebooted my Wii, modem, router and nothing.  I also deleted the Netflix channel on my Wii and then loaded it again, nothing.  I don't know what the problem is.  I don't get an error code, so all the help screens here and on Netflix are not providing me with any solutions.  Please help!!!!  What do I need to do to fix this problem!

3 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 5:10 PM in response to: MONKEYKISSES

I just called Wii's 1-800 tech support number, and they told me that the problem is on their end, and simply to wait a while and try again.  I tryed most of the same things you did.  I think we are just outta luck for a bit.

3 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 6:50 PM in response to: SATIIVA

Called support.  Tech walked me thru changing the DNS settings in the Wii.

After changing the DNS settings Netflix is working.

Primary: 008.008.008.008

Secondary: 008.008.004.004

3 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 7:24 PM in response to: WILDJIMBO

I wish I knew how to do that, but I will call them tomorrow and tell them what you told me.

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 7:52 PM in response to: SATIIVA

I had this problem all night, tried everything else (time settings, removing channel and data files, reset modem/router, ) with no issue.

Changing the DNS settings fixed it. Many many thanks to WILDJIMBO.

To change the settings:

Go to Wi Options

Choose Internet option

Choose Connection Settings

Select your connection

Choose Change Settings

Scroll past SSID, Security, and IP address tabs (wireless connections)

Choose the option to set DNS Servers

Type in the addresses WILDJIMBO provided (both primary and secondary, with periods)

Choose to Confirm Settings

Perform connection test and prompt for update

Open Netflix Channel

Enjoy

Thanks again WILDJIMBO

3 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 8:33 PM in response to: JOHN1984

Thank you for the instructions, worked like a champ!  So happy now! 

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 9:22 PM in response to: JOHN1984

apparently the wii is to smart for me because i am still no understanding how to do this. Please help! i keep getting the message saying  unable to connect to internet please try again.. Any ideas?

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 7:48 PM in response to: WILDJIMBO

Having same problem. Did you call wii help support or netflix support?

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 8:19 PM in response to: WILDJIMBO

DNS Changes worked... Thanks WILDJIMBO

3 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 9:22 PM in response to: WILDJIMBO

So... it's 12:16 EST and it's not connecting - again.  Tried a couple of other DNS servers I knew to try, but no luck.

However, it's bedtime for me, so maybe it'll be fixed tomorrow when I get home from work.

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Other DNS servers...

=> Service provider: Google
Google public dns server IP address:

=> Service provider:Dnsadvantage
Dnsadvantage free dns server list:

=> Service provider:OpenDNS
OpenDNS free dns server list / IP address:

=> Service provider:Norton
Norton free dns server list / IP address:

=> Service provider: GTEI DNS (now Verizon)
Public Name server IP address:

=> Service provider: ScrubIt
Public dns server address:

Message was edited by: WILDJIMBO

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 9:54 PM in response to: WILDJIMBO

I tried the Norton one & it works after trying everything else for about 3 hours!!! Thanks!!!!

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 9:29 PM in response to: WILDJIMBO

I changed my settings step by step as directed (by WILDJIMBO) 3 times and still no Netflix connection. Each time I went step by step confimimg and saving the data. It said the connection/settings were successful and updated. What could possibly be the problem? It seems to have worked for some people and others are unsuccessful. Why?

3 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 9:52 PM in response to: ZAIRE58

Well.. it was working, but now it's not.  Obviously an issue exists between Wii and Netflix.  Hopefully it'll be resolved soon. 

PAPAIGGY 4 posts since
Oct 18, 2014
Oct 18, 2014 9:20 PM in response to: WILDJIMBO

Thanks dude, after months of trying to fix this issue and any number of phone calls to both nintendo and netflix with no help your suggestion fixed my issue.

1 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
Jun 1, 2011 9:37 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

How the heck do you get the Netflix to play? I also am getting the message cannot connect to Netflix, please try again later. Help, new at this, please help me...

1 posts since
Jun 7, 2011
Jun 7, 2011 9:13 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I was able to connect to netflix for a few days than while i was watching a movie it froze so restarted and it worked for a while than froze again,long story short now my wii won't even get a signal on my tv,there is just a black screen that says no signal so I want to know what i should do,I can't even play a game now.

Apr 1, 2010
Jun 11, 2011 1:59 PM in response to: AIRPAINTER1

AIRPAINTER1  wrote:

I was able to connect to netflix for a few days than while i was watching a movie it froze so restarted and it worked for a while than froze again,long story short now my wii won't even get a signal on my tv,there is just a black screen that says no signal so I want to know what i should do,I can't even play a game now.

For your situation I would recommend that you give us a call so that we can determine what exactly is going on.

1-800-255-3700

Seven days a week 6 AM - 7 PM Pacific Time

1 posts since
Jun 13, 2011
Jun 13, 2011 10:11 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I just joined the Netflix channel onto my Wii. The first time it gave me an activation code no problem. However, it expired before I could enter it into my Netflix account. Now every time I try to get another code, it comes up with the following message: "Sorry, there was a problem activating this Wii. Please click "get new code". If your problem persists, go to Neflix.ca/tvhelp." Every time I click on "Get new code" I get the same message. Help?

1 posts since
Jun 18, 2011
Jun 18, 2011 12:23 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hoping to get some help.  I just joined Netflix a few days ago and am attempting to connect my account to my Wii.  Problem is that my roommate's ex-boyfriend had previously downloaded the Netflix channel on my Wii and connected his account to it.  I can't figure out how to have it be linked to my Netflix account instead of his.  I tried linking my Nintendo Club account to the Wii, deleting the Netflix channel and re-adding it, but it didn't bring up that initial screen that asks for the code; it once again went directly to his instant queue.

Appreciate any help you can provide!

NOA_TECH_GARY 126 posts since
Apr 20, 2010
Jun 28, 2011 8:00 AM in response to: ANNE1980

Hi!

While we can help you with your Internet connection and general troubleshooting here, issues related to deactivating a device from a Netflix account will need to be addressed through Netflix. Support for Netflix users in the US is available online at Netflix.com or over the phone by calling 1-866-716-0414. Support for Netflix users in Canada is available online at Netflix.ca or over the phone at 1-866-348-2353.

ROD64 447 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Jun 30, 2011 12:40 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_GARY

NOA_TECH_GARY, do they have an email address?

1 posts since
Jul 17, 2011
Jul 17, 2011 6:00 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I am getting so tired of this connection. Seems every day I have trouble getting this stupid Wii to connect to Netflix/ The console will connect to my router, Will even connect to Netflix via the Opera browser, but refuses to connect consistently via the Netflix on the menu page?! I have rebooted the Wii and rebooted the wireless router (multiple times), but cannot get this to work consistently. I think it may be time to sell this console and hook my computer (which ALWAYS works) directly to my tv for my Netflix account. I would NEVER recommend this method for netflix connection to my worst enemy let alone a friend. Wii is good for games, JUNK for anything else.

1 posts since
Jul 17, 2011
Jul 17, 2011 5:50 PM in response to: JAKE5676

Netflix servers are down at the moment.

1 posts since
Aug 8, 2011
Aug 8, 2011 12:52 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

My Netflix has been working fine. However today it has made all TV shows disappear. The movies are fine, but all TV shows are gone. Please advise.

3 posts since
Sep 6, 2011
Sep 6, 2011 12:35 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

My Wii says "the Wii shop is not available in your area".....I already have Netflix on the PS3 so how come I cannot get it on Wii.  It is hooked up the internet just fine but when I clinck on Wii shop this error message comes up.  Please advise...

427 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Sep 6, 2011 12:38 PM in response to: MEMAW1954

Usually that indicates the country setting on the Wii is incorrect. Basically, it means it is set to a country that does not have Netflix available. I would recommend checking to ensure the Wii is set to the correct country. This setting will be found in the Wii Settings.

3 posts since
Sep 6, 2011
Oct 10, 2011 6:21 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JAKE

I notice everyone is talking about a Netflix disc for the Wii...Do I need one?

427 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Sep 15, 2011 6:00 PM in response to: MEMAW1954

No, you do not need a Netflix disc anymore. Now all you need to do is download the Netflix Channel from the Wii Shop Channel.

3 posts since
Sep 6, 2011
Sep 6, 2011 1:02 PM in response to: MEMAW1954

My problem has been solved.  Wii was on the wrong country.  Thank you for your help.

1 posts since
Oct 25, 2011
Oct 25, 2011 8:55 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

The netflix channel has been working fine for me up until last night. I keep getting an error message saying that netflix can't play this title right now, please select another one or try again later. The movie will load entirely before that pops up. I thought it migh be my internet connection but I can do other things on the wil that use my connection just fine. Netflix is also working on my computer, just not the wii. Any ideas?

TYLER645 1,015 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Oct 26, 2011 3:16 PM in response to: DINOSAURSSAYRAWR

I would try to re-download Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel.

1 posts since
Nov 9, 2011
Nov 9, 2011 5:50 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Ive read over evey response and tried everyone of them but none of them worked for my issue which is that this message appears: Unable to connect to Netflix please try again later or: visit Netflix.com/tvhelp. Ive noticed that no Moderators have rlly responded to these Reports either. Im not sure wats wrong but i would really like to find out as soon as possible. So please answer.

FARAJI 1 posts since
Dec 6, 2011
Dec 6, 2011 9:12 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I updated Netflix on my Wii yesterday. Today I discovered that I can no longer go back in whatever it is I'm watching. For example if I miss a part of my movie, I can't scroll back and rewatch it. I point the controller and try to push the minus button or move the circle on the bar but all it does is pause the movie, not 'rewind'. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

TRAVIEZAGIRL33 1 posts since
Jan 24, 2012
Jan 24, 2012 1:54 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I CONNECT THE NETFLIX DIRECTLY FROM MY WII AND NOW WANT TO SEE IN THE COMPUTER NETFLIX AND NOT TO DO, BECAUSE IN THE WII DOES NOT GAVE ME THE OPTION OF USERNAME AND PASSWORD. FORGIVE MY ENGLISH IS NOT ENGLISH USE A TRANSLATOR

TYLER645 1,015 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Jan 24, 2012 2:00 PM in response to: TRAVIEZAGIRL33

If you are trying to use a different username and password, you will have to delete the Netflix save data. If the username and password screen won't show up at all, delete the Netflix channel and re-download it.

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Jan 24, 2012 2:30 PM in response to: TYLER645

I think she wants to know how to hook her Wii up to her computer, so she can watch the movies on her computer without having to enter the user name and password.

MAMABEAN4EVER 1 posts since
Jan 30, 2012
Jan 30, 2012 6:32 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Can't seem to watch anything without a "Loading" bar coming up every 5 minutes, how do I fix this?

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Jan 30, 2012 5:00 PM in response to: MAMABEAN4EVER

Delete both the Netflix channel and save data from the system memory and then redownload the channel.  This will probably fix the issue.

CAJUNSAUSAGE 1 posts since
Feb 11, 2012
Feb 11, 2012 11:29 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I've read a lot of suggestions, but they still don't solve the issue with my Wii.  I watch Netflix and am constantly getting the "loading" bar.  It's driving me nuts!!!!!

I have tried upping the MTU to 1500, I tried putting in specific DNS entries (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 or 008.008.008.008 & 008.008.004.004), rather than auto find, I've adjusted the time, the dates, the name, everything.  i've turned it off over night, I've adjusted everything I can think of on my router at least 3 times and reset to factory settings twice.

I went to speedtest.net and here are my download speed results:

Laptop - 14.68 Mbps download speed

Kindle fire - 12.75Mbps download speed

Ipod touch - 8.33 Mbps download speed

Nintendo Wii - 3.46 Mbps download speed (This is unacceptable!!!!!!!!)

I originally had an older linksys router and thought it was going bad, so I bought the E3000 N-Router, hoping it would solve the problems, but I have the same problems as my WRT54GC. I have a good solid signal to my Wii, I have Vstumbler running, so I can see what my signal is and it's over 95% strong. I have the latest firmware on my wii, netflix, and on my router.  No one in my area is mooching off of my channel.  I don't have any significant bursts or lags in my speed and I've been logging it.

Does anyone know how to increase the speed of the NIC in the Wii?  I mean, is there any way to get into the coding....like command line on Cisco Routers?  This is acting like 1990s style internet connection. Even my PS3 is connecting over 10Mbps wirelessly!

FELLITO 1 posts since
Feb 28, 2012
Feb 28, 2012 6:22 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

Hello, i have a problem with netflix on my wii, everything works fine except for netflix because every time i select any title it will play it for about 5 miutes and then my whole wii just freezes. This happens on every show and movie. My netflix account works on any other device. Any help please?

NINTENMAN94 1,276 posts since
Feb 9, 2011
Feb 28, 2012 6:29 PM in response to: FELLITO

Try updating both your router and your Wii console to the latest firmware, and see if that solves the problem.

However, if updating either the Wii or you router does not work, then you might want to give Nintendo a call at 1-800-255-3700 (open 6am to 7pm, 7 days a week), or e-mail them via their webform.

LINDKEV05 1 posts since
Mar 5, 2012
Mar 5, 2012 2:16 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

hey,we tried nto get netflix on our wii and it says not enough memory do we have to get a memory card if so whtch one thank you lindkev05

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Mar 5, 2012 2:53 PM in response to: LINDKEV05

Have you downloaded a lot of games from the Wii Shop?  If so, move some of them over to an SD card or delete them.  (You can always redownload the games later for free.)

GOOBERFLUFFY 1 posts since
Mar 27, 2012
Mar 27, 2012 7:15 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I have netflix on my wii. My internet is pretty fast and my wii works fine. It's a brand new black super mario bros one. The internet channel works excelent as well. However, the netflix is terribly slow. It takes 10 minutes to load a 30 minute show and after that it only plays for about one minute and stops to load again (which takes another ten minutes). I've done everything I can think of. I have tried using a USB connection and even updated my internet service. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to help this?

MARIOGIRL1999 127 posts since
Jan 4, 2012
Mar 28, 2012 4:04 PM in response to: GOOBERFLUFFY

try deleting tthe netflix channel and downloading it again. If that doesn't work make sure the time on your wii is right, it has strangely hepled lots of people!

BEANMAC77 1 posts since
May 3, 2012
May 3, 2012 10:23 PM in response to: GOOBERFLUFFY

I might have found a workaround to get netflix working with netflix.  I initially installed netflix on my wii about 3 days ago and everything was great.  Today, however it was not working great, it was slow and non-responsive and I got the try again messages.  Finally, I read a few discussion feeds, and it occurred to me that you might have to delete you netflix profile information on your data management area on the wii.  I deleted the netflix profile information and signed in again and WOOHOO!  It works again.  It could be a syncing issue with the profile and your netflix account information.  Regardless of that, my wife can now watch her movie and the balance has been restored.

I hope this helps you!

Thanks,

75FANMAN 1 posts since
May 8, 2012
May 8, 2012 3:18 PM in response to: BEANMAC77

Hi   I did that and it works the first time but then after that I get the "unable to connect to netflix" again. Any ideas?

THORNEVALD 2 posts since
Dec 11, 2011
May 9, 2012 6:27 AM in response to: 75FANMAN

I have had problems with netflix and wii for the past year, it is very annoying.  I have tried all the tricks, and deleting the app + saved data works fine for a day or 2, then the problem comes right back.

I never had this problem way back before the netflix software was updated.  The update seemed to really slow down the interface and make it clunky.

-ROLANDMAX 1 posts since
Aug 7, 2012
Aug 7, 2012 9:03 AM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

We have had Netflix on our Wii for a while now, and have not had much issues with it.  Recently, however, it keeps reseting in the middle of shows.  It simply goes to a black screen for a second, then goes to the Netflix main menu where we choose from Netflix, and 'Netflix just for kids'.  It doesn't seem to be a disruption in our wireless because we don't have this issue when watching it on our laptop.  I appreciate any ideas!

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 9:39 AM in response to: -ROLANDMAX

First, I suggest that you delete the Netflix channel and all of it's associated save data from the system memory, and then redownload it from the Wii Shop.  This may resolve the issue.

Because it is resetting, it might be a buffering issue.  It is a good idea to move the Wii closer to your router, if possible.

Next time, please start your own thread for new questions.

GREGDGEORGE 4 posts since
Jan 24, 2013
Jan 24, 2013 2:22 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

If your Wii routinely disconnects from your Netflix movie at about 20 minutes, I'm pretty certain setting a Static IP (and DNS address) is the solution to the problem. (Google "setup static IP on Wii" for how to do it.) I think what's happening is that IP lease must run out and either the Wii or router is trying to renew that IP address. And while it's being renewed, the connection is lost. By making it static instead, there's no need for the DHCP to be involved.

USERNAMENOTSCREENNAME 1 posts since
Jul 2, 2013
Jul 2, 2013 10:27 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I tried to sign my dad up for the trial on Netflix. I didn't realize it would need credit card info right then. That changed my mind. I need to sign in with my own account for now.

But Netflix has it permanently in memory that that's the step we're on. What kind of programming wizard thought they could "idiot proof" in this way? Just by taking a way options like "back" or "cancel". Is that helping someone or sparing someone from too many confusing options?

Is there anyone who can doubt that the programmer or designer who planned it out this way was dim? What right did they have writing software that was fed out to millions of people? Thinking they can idiot proof software by simply taking away user choices that have glaring last-ditch nothign-else-works value? They completely ruin things for so many people who don't have the unfounded patience to hunt down answers, or the knowhow to troubleshoot and workaround the idiocy of people who ought to know better. I know there's a workaround but, to those of you who proudly dish out your workaround, wouldn't you like to pursue the unaccountable schlub who did this shoddy work and fed it out to millions of people, without any mechanism for recognition of blatant mistakes in design thinking? How many countless people have failed here, to do anything to make it right and remove these kinds of embarrassing blots? Can't anyone do anything real? How long has this bug been present? Nobody ever thought to push it up the ladder a bit - no amount of time & collective problems caused, drove any kind of escalation? I want a cushy job like these invisible miserable software "pros" have.

RICHP7 3 posts since
Jan 16, 2014
Jan 16, 2014 8:44 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_JANE

I'm using a comcast xfinity wireless wifi modem but the wii is not seeing the SSID name.Not sure how to set it up then and I don't know how to change settings on the modem or the wii itself.

RICHP7 3 posts since
Jan 16, 2014
Jan 16, 2014 8:45 PM in response to: RICHP7

and I've already had the wii on the internet using a friends wifi but now I want to use mine which is of course within the home.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)