Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
8,816 Views 19 Replies Last post: Jul 20, 2014 3:31 PM by JT2412
RSS
INSANEOMEGAMETROID 3 posts since
Jan 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2014 12:14 AM

Wii Remote Plus controls are irreversibly inverted

I ordered a refurbished wii motionplus remote with nunchuck off of nintendo's online store so that I could play skyward sword, only to find that despite initial and repeated calibrations, the motionplus controls are the opposite of my gestures (in addition to being somewhat sluggish and slippery). For example, on skyward sword's file select screen, tiling the remote down brought the cursor up very slowly, which was annoying enough that I had to use the analog stick to select a new file. Upon controlling link for the first time, I found looking around the room in first person to be almost impossible. Positioning the controller upwards or downwards to roll or throw items was hit or miss, but in the pause menu where you can recalibrate the remote, I found that the gesture indicated to swipe between subscreens was the opposite of what actually worked for me. I also tested it with the golf game in Wii Sports Club only to find that despite several attempted recalibrations my forward swings registered at a backwards windup onscreen.

Since the controller is refurbished, my first thought is that it wasn't properly restored and thus has a faulty sensor. However since the return period is fairly long I want to make sure that i'm not just making an error.

Here's a description of my current setup: I'm playing the title on a wii U console, I sit about 4 feet from my tv, my sensor bar is affixed upside-down to the bottom of the tv set (I moved it and changed the orientation in the wii u settings to see if it helped, which it didn't). To recalibrate the controller, I typically place it on the floor, though placing it on my chair, desk and cabinet in various orientations (pointing towards, away from the tv, etc) had no visible effect.

Occassionally, and this is interesting, trying to slowly track the cursor horizontally across the screen causes it to reverse direction around the center of the screen, where it will briefly head in the direction it is supposed to.

For what it's worth, the regular function of the wii remote seems to work perfectly. All buttons work as they should and regular pointer functionality works just fine, such as after recalibrating in zelda, for example.

Is it possible that the refurbished controller I purchased is faulty? Is this something that has been known to happen with refurbished wii remotes with motion plus inside?

THECLAW 486 posts since
Dec 20, 2010
Jan 20, 2014 1:14 AM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID
Re: Wii Remote Plus controls are irreversibly inverted

Try turning over the sensor bar. Wii system menu doesn't have upside down as selectable option.

LEOAMES 7 posts since
Jun 14, 2014
Jun 15, 2014 8:04 PM in response to: THECLAW

"Try turning over the sensor bar. Wii system menu doesn't have upside down as selectable option."

All the sensor bar is composed of is some IR lights oriented horizontally along its length. Flipping it 180 degrees would have zero effect since it's the same either way as far as the Wii remote is concerned.

KIRBYMAN098 3 posts since
Mar 5, 2014
Mar 5, 2014 6:57 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

I seem to be in the same boat as you... please, someone answer this!

ONE-OF-THREE 6,211 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Mar 5, 2014 7:01 PM in response to: KIRBYMAN098

KIRBYMAN098  wrote:

I seem to be in the same boat as you... please, someone answer this!

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/126951#126951

Probably not a very helpful answer, but I tried.

WHOLMESWA 2 posts since
Jun 10, 2014
Jun 10, 2014 12:02 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

FWIW I have had the same issue with two sets of refurb controllers with build in motion plus.

The controllers work fine with just the sensor bar. What was puzzling for me is my two "classic" wimotes with the motion plus dongle work correctly on the same console... but so far 100% of the refurb controllers with built in motion plus (4 all together) have the problem when playing games that use motion plus. For me that includes: Skyward Swork and WII sports club. (When I try to bowl with one of the refurb controllers I keep throwing the bowling ball behind me when moving the controller forward. )

Discussed with support, and they wanted me to send in the console with the wiimote + motion plus that works, and the refurb "all in one" controller where the motion plus controls are reversed. I decided against that, and Nintendo is going to let me return the refurb controllers for a refund.

KVNSKY 1 posts since
Jun 15, 2014
Jun 15, 2014 7:26 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

I am also experiencing this problem with Wii U Sports club.  I purchased two refurb Wiimote from Nintendo Refurb store and both of them are acting this way.  Up is down, Down is up, Right is left and left is right. The wiimote points fine to the TV and all other controls work as they should.  It is just the accelerometer in the wiimotes seems to be put in backwards or something. Has anyone isolated this issue to the game or the wiimotes yet?

SOME11NO 2 posts since
Mar 26, 2013
Jun 17, 2014 11:39 PM in response to: KVNSKY

I recently purchased two refurbished Wii Remote Plus controllers from the Nintendo Online Store. Both exhibit this weirdly inverted behavior. I'm pretty sure that a few batches of these refurbished controllers had their internal gyroscopes installed backwards or something. I've tested these controllers with several Wii and Wii U games, and have narrowed the issue down to the internal Wii MotionPlus, since Mario Kart 8 has issues, but not Mario Kart Wii. Similarly, Wii Sports Club and Wii Sports Resort are backwards, but the original Wii Sports works fine.

I will be calling Nintendo and asking for a replacement.

BEARCATBOY 2 posts since
Jun 24, 2014
Jun 24, 2014 5:14 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

Yeah there must be something wrong with the refurbishing process. I also purchased two Wii Remote Plus controllers (also came with nunchucks) and they appear to be inverted only during motion plus game. My old Wii Remotes with the Motiion Plus attachment works fine. I even tested these controllers on my old Wii to isolate it to the controllers. I finally called Nintendo the other day and scheduled a repair/replacement, since they come with a 90 day warranty. Hopefully somebody at Nintendo realizes that there is something going wrong in the refurbishing of these remotes, since I'm not the only one with this issue.

DH1 2 posts since
Jun 28, 2014
Jun 28, 2014 10:15 PM in response to: BEARCATBOY

Yeah, my black refurb unit that I got this week is exhibiting the same behavior. Attempted to play Skyward Sword and could barely get past the screen to input my name. In game I tried to look around when I figured out it was backwards.

SHAWNCLUBMEMBER 1 posts since
Jun 30, 2014
Jun 30, 2014 9:51 AM in response to: DH1

I also have this problem.  I got a refurbished black Wii Remote Plus and it appears that one or more of the internal sensors are inverted.  I tried on both Wii with Skyward Sword and the Wii U with Mario Kart 8.

Does anyone know if Nintendo will pay for return shipping?

WHOLMESWA 2 posts since
Jun 10, 2014
Jul 1, 2014 12:21 PM in response to: SHAWNCLUBMEMBER

I was told they would refund my shipping, but I can not verify since I am still waiting for Nintendo to process the return.

[personal information removed]

***Please do not share personal information (such as name, age, gender, location, etc) on our Tech Support Forums. -NOA_TECH_STACEY***

ADHESIVE-WOMBAT 1 posts since
Jul 5, 2014
Jul 5, 2014 9:54 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

I've been having the same issue with my refurbished wii mote.  All of the buttons function perfectly. It only seems to be inverted "in game" meaning that it works fine while navigating the wii menu.  It only inverts when I attempt to calibrate it, play wii sports club, or try to play mario kart 8 with motion controls.  I've done a bit of testing with original wii motes (that work perfectly fine on the original wii) and swapping out the sensor bar with an old one, and the results were the same leading me to believe that it's not the wii motes and is actually the wii u itself.  I bought a refurbished wii u and I'm wondering if anyone else here bought a refubished one as I think that might be the issue.

LOY'CK 1 posts since
Jul 6, 2014
Jul 6, 2014 4:02 PM in response to: ADHESIVE-WOMBAT

I also bought a refubished Wii U, but I did the same tests as you (and also with Nintendo Land) and have gotten the same results: the Wii Remote Plus Inside is behaving in reverse and/or incorrectly when the motion controls are used, so I'm pretty sure the problem is only the remote itself.

BOBBYMONKEY 1 posts since
Jul 7, 2014
Jul 7, 2014 12:22 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

I bought a refurbished Wii Remote and Nunchuck (motion+) from the Nintendo website in June 2014.  It sync'd fine, but when I play Skyward Sword on my WiiU, the controls are reversed just like everyone else's experience.  This stinks,  but I'm happy to hear Nintendo will replace it and that the replacements seem to be working. 

MONKEYPIG 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2014
Jul 9, 2014 2:27 AM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

I also purchased two Remote and Nunchuk combos in June along with a Wii U. Both exhibited the same behaviour everyone else here has experienced; I tried going through tech support to have mine fixed unsuccessfully. After spending an hour on the phone describing the problems and referring him to this thread mentioning what others have gone through, he insisted that they had to be replaced, not fixed. They made me purchase another pair and were supposed to send me RMA info for the first set; I'd get credit for the first pair of remotes once they received them back.

Yesterday the replacements came in the mail, still no email from Nintendo with an RMA number and instructions for the first pair and nothing with the new ones. I thought maybe to receive instructions on the RMA along with a shipping label after not receiving an email. Nothing. What else? I just tried the first of the two replacements and I have the exact same problem with it. I haven't tried the fourth, but I'm certain it will behave in the same manner.

I'm definitely not happy with Nintendo or my experience with support at the moment. I hope to successfully return these four for two that work in addition to my refund for the extra two they forced me to purchase in this process; We'll see how they handle it once I call them again.

DH1 2 posts since
Jun 28, 2014
Jul 10, 2014 1:49 PM in response to: MONKEYPIG

They probably don't want the old one back. Nintendo sent me a 2nd Wiimote for free, but I'm having the same problem with the new one. Gotta give them another call and see what they want to do from here.

BEARCATBOY 2 posts since
Jun 24, 2014
Jul 10, 2014 5:17 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

I wonder if Nintendo finally realized this wide spread issue with the refurbished Wii remotes. It looks like they are no longer listed on the online store. They might have sold out too because $20 for a refurbished Wii Remote Plus and a nunchuck was too good of a deal to pass on.

TUNC 1 posts since
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 16, 2014 4:10 PM in response to: BEARCATBOY

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one... I send back my first refurb wiimote at the beginning of june and they sent back another one on July 1st. Of course the 2nd one has the same issue. I'm also still waiting for my shipping refund... I'm not paying to send this one back, I'll see what Nintendo wants to do.

JT2412 25 posts since
Jul 20, 2014
Jul 20, 2014 3:31 PM in response to: INSANEOMEGAMETROID

I had the same problem I called nintendo they said put the remote face down then pat it this frees the giro ball inside capturedvideo.MOV Please replay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)