Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
25,126 Views 25 Replies Last post: May 14, 2012 4:59 PM by STARTRREK123
RSS
4 posts since
Aug 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2010 6:19 AM

What is better for the eyes   dsi xl or  dsi

My  ds lite just broke and thinking of getting a new system

what will be better for the eyes

DSI or DSI XL

now the dsi xl is bigger  but  you have  bigger screens closer to your face meaning its going to mess up your near vison

The dsi   is smaller meaning more eye strain  trying to read the words

What is better on the eyes

EARTHBOUND33 2,270 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Aug 6, 2010 10:28 AM in response to: SLIDECAGE
Re: What is better for the eyes   dsi xl or  dsi

it would depend what kind of vision problem you have (far or near sighted). if you are talking about just in general, then the DSiXL is the best choice.

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 6, 2010 6:09 PM in response to: SLIDECAGE

well, if you really want to still play gameboy games, you should just get another DS Lite. But if you would rather have a camera and DSi ware games, go with a DSi or DSiXL.

TATTLETALE1 13 posts since
Jul 1, 2011
Jan 10, 2012 5:32 AM in response to: SLIDECAGE

They dropped the screen size because 3D screens ar expensive to make...  The 3D TVs believe it or not use normal HD screens, without anything special...

The 3DS screens use diagonal overlapping pixels to show 3D images without glasses, to be fair the quality is somewhere in between 480p & 720i depending on how you veiw it...  (720i is not a format used by any TV)  The 3D screens are expensive to make, and I'm guessing because of the need for actual glasses, the 3D might not be that good, but they have stopped making DS games, only a few more DS games left until they stop making DS games, they've already stopped making DS systems, & DS games will stop being made before June...  Meaning all the new games will be for 3DS, and cannot be played on a DSi...

They needed to drop the screen size because materials were expensive, the system was $250 at launch...  The ecconomy made it so nobody could buy any game systems at all, forcing Nintendo to drop the price identically to the DSi XL, partially because some people thought they were the same type of system...

But The DS is like a Super Nintendo, and the 3DS is like a Nintendo 64...

And the Wii-U is also comming out later this year, and it allows 5 players (or more) at once (without the internet) using a controller that's like Playstation2 and the 3DS controller conbined, and it plays the older Wii games in addition to the newer Playstation3 quality games like Batman Arkham City which will be released on Wii-U near the launch date.

Also, most of the 3DS games don't use the touch screen, and they have an extra control stick, Mario Kart 7 is actually much funner than Mario Kart Wii, and much easier to steer!  (You still can tilt to control the go-karts, but the 3DS has better & easier motion control than the Wii does, and the 3DS uses Miis)

Imagine the DS is like a Gamecube, the DSi is just a fancy Gamecube that can take pictures, but the 3DS is like a Wii: it plays the old Gamecube games, and plays the new Wii games...

GAMEHATERDAD 602 posts since
May 17, 2010
Aug 11, 2010 3:07 PM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

yes

SMARTBOY161 181 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 6, 2010 12:26 PM in response to: SLIDECAGE

Both the DSi and DSiXL have larger screens than the DSLite.

The DSi is good if you want to use the camera, or play DSiWare games, but not for GBA games.

The DSXL is the same as above, except that it comes with a larger pen, 3 games included, and a larger screen (as advertised: to have everyone see what you are playing).

If you don't mind having downloadable games, don't mind a larger screen, or you still want to play GBA games, you should stick to the DSLite or original DS.

Apr 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2010 4:56 PM in response to: SLIDECAGE

If it could damage your eyesight, then why would they sell it?

I would think that because the DSiXL has a larger screen you can actually hold it farther away from your eyes so you can see the entire screen. I think your best solution is to visit a GameStop (or wherever you plan to buy your DS) and ask them to compare them for you.

DSLITE7 536 posts since
May 29, 2010
Aug 8, 2010 4:11 PM in response to: SLIDECAGE

They should be about the same.  The only difference is that the DSiXL has a bigger screen, so it has more pixels.  Light pollution from the DSi's may interfere with how you see things.

Apr 1, 2010
Aug 8, 2010 4:13 PM in response to: DSLITE7

The DSiXL doesn't have any more pixels than any of the other DS's.

DSLITE7 536 posts since
May 29, 2010
Aug 8, 2010 4:20 PM in response to: SMARTBOY161

I thought since the screen was bigger, it used more pixels than the average DSi.  I dunno, I haven't had much experience with a DSiXL, only when I saw it on a display at Gamestop and  when my friend showed it to me.

Anyway, I have the average DSi, and have no trouble reading the text on anything at all.  They're the same thing, only on one the screen is like two times larger, so it's entirely up to you with what you want.  I'd test out both systems from a friend and see which one you like best.

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 8, 2010 6:49 PM in response to: SLIDECAGE

you should ask an eye doctor which is the best choice.

Jul 1, 2011
Jan 10, 2012 5:59 AM in response to: SLIDECAGE

Doctors do reccomend no more than 2 hours in front of a screen in 2/3 of a day...  ...with a 15 minnute pause break after an hour.

The DSi XL is good, but I do not reccomend getting the normal DSi if you're okay with a smaller screen, if that's the case a 3DS is the one to get, because sometime in between June and September, Gamestop and all the other stores will stop selling DS games...  And Nintendo will stop making DS games around that time, and you'd need the 3DS to play a brand new unopened game.

The 3DS has better graphics & gameplay than some Wii games do...  The 3DS game carts also hold more than twice as much as the DS games do, and are unplayable on the DSi, so don't try to buy a 3DS game if you still have a DSi because it won't play it.

3DS games are good in 2D as well, in fact Namco's newest 3DS game uses almost no 3D effects, except for in a Galaga minigame.   Mario Kart 7 may have less characters than Mario Kart Wii, but it still uses Miis and alot of characters, with better racetracks, items, and shortcuts where Karts actually swim & Fly...

Tilt control (like a steering wheel) in first person view, or use the anolouge Control Stick in Mario Kart 7, (and in this case, anolougue is better than digital, where digital means 4, and analougue means infinity)

<object data="http://flipnote.hatena.com/5386D14051D4DB8F@DSi/movie/D4DB8F_0B1034C4CED79_006" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="279" height="240"><param name="movie" value="http://flipnote.hatena.com/js/flipplayer_s.swf"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="did=5386D14051D4DB8F&amp;file=D4DB8F_0B1034C4CED79_006"></param></object>

AUTOSAVER1 635 posts since
Apr 2, 2010
Aug 10, 2010 7:03 AM in response to: SLIDECAGE

The DSiXL looks like it just stretches everything. I recommend getting XL if your eye sight is bad.

If your eye hurts, please take daily breaks.

33 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Oct 8, 2010 9:05 AM in response to: SLIDECAGE

Youre making me more confused with your conversations. I have both devices so I should testify what I learned from both the DSi and the DSi XL.

I personally like the Original DSi as it's more portable but having the DSi XL gave some lights on what I need: MORE BATTERY LIFE. That's the main point there was a DSi XL even though originally, there was a planned DS Lite XL but the producers decided if will it sell well.

Having the DSi XL as my ON THE GO handheld is really a hassle specially the little heaviness it has but I dont mind because it has a longer battery life. I kind of like how I see my games on the DSi XL as it's more sharper and more clearer than the DSi but here are the things you should ask:

"Am I going for portability or usability?"

Portability means you can carry it around you anytime while usability prolongs the gameplay.

Before countering me, I will share to you my Serial numbers:

Nintendo DSi XL
Serial # WWXXXXXXXXX      9/21/2010

Nintendo DSi XL
Serial # WWXXXXXXXXX      10/4/2010

Nintendo DSi
Serial # TWXXXXXXXXX      5/28/2009

Nintendo DSi
Serial # TWXXXXXXXXX      12/28/2009

Nintendo DSi
Serial # TWXXXXXXXXX 1/23/2010

The most intriguing advice I can give is YOU BUY BOTH but I recommend the DSi XL as it's a MORE IMPROVED DSi. It's up to you to decided and I just shared what I learned in playing with ALL OF THE NINTENDO DS RELEASED.

Take note that having a DSi XL means YOU HAVE TO keep it in a stable flat surface and far from your eyesight as suggested by Nintendo.

Message was edited by: CHRIS_SKYLOCK

11 posts since
Jul 3, 2010
Oct 18, 2010 4:46 PM in response to: CHRIS_SKYLOCK

"YOU BUY BOTH" for most people is not something that you really want to do.  Why spend all the money on two DSs when, in reality, they are the same thing?  I see your point about bigger is clearer, but bigger is not always better. Again, most people would not be willing to spend the money on two DSis, but that's exactly what I did.  I have both the DSi and the DSiXL right now.  I had the DSlite but when I and another friend of mine got a DSi, I sold my DSlite to my friends younger sister.  Questions about, DSlite, DSi, and DSiXL I can answer.  But to end this, I say go with your first choise because It's (most) always the one that works out the best.

Perry the Platypus

1 posts since
Oct 20, 2010
Oct 20, 2010 3:39 PM in response to: PERRYTHEPLATYPUS

I recommend the Dsi XL, I got the bronze colored one and it's awesome.

11 posts since
Jul 3, 2010
Oct 25, 2010 5:26 AM in response to: MAJORBRUCE

I also got Bronze, but coming out November 7th, is a new limited edition Red DSi XL to celebrate Mario's 25th anniversary, so I reccommend that, they also have a limited edition Wii.  Check it out on Nintendo.com homepage.

-Perry

Jul 1, 2011
Jan 10, 2012 6:04 AM in response to: CHRIS_SKYLOCK

The only difference between the DSi & the DSi XL is the Screen size, and the fact that the XL comes with about $18 worth of the lamest downloads available...

Although the battery life is extended by about an hour, that's the only differences...

WIIWII1251 15 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
Oct 27, 2010 6:19 PM in response to: SLIDECAGE

Heh, DS lites break alot.

Anyway I would personally reccommend the regular DSi because I have a DSi and my brother has a DSi XL, the XL is more expensive plus it looks pixely on most games (games with 2D, cartoonish graphics dont look very nice, like Warioware D.I.Y.) Plus the colors for the DSi look better.

DSBUFF 6 posts since
Jan 12, 2011
Dec 10, 2011 9:15 PM in response to: WIIWII1251

DSiXL is awesome. get it while you can if you want a bigger screen other wise there isn't much difference. There isn't going to be too many DSi whatever people left most people will be jumping on the 3DS the next few years.

3WARDMEN 6 posts since
Jan 8, 2012
Jan 8, 2012 7:28 AM in response to: SLIDECAGE

I have a dsixl and a dsi and i think that the dsixl is better if you have poor eyesight because the xl has bigger lcd screens.

3WARDMEN 6 posts since
Jan 8, 2012
Jan 8, 2012 7:30 AM in response to: SLIDECAGE

dsixl

STARTRREK123 14 posts since
Apr 13, 2012
May 14, 2012 4:59 PM in response to: 3WARDMEN

I got the Nintendo Dsixl Special Edition, the one who celebrates Mario's 25th anneversary. And i also have a DSlite. I'm used to my DSIXL becuz i had it since Christmas and the screens r larger. I have nearsightedness and i wear glasses (i have to wear them all the time except during baths and bet time).

So I recommend the DSIXL.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)