Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
14,474 Views 3 Replies Last post: Aug 8, 2010 10:40 PM by 00782653170
RSS
2 posts since
Aug 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2010 11:26 AM

Wii overheating?

I've never had a problem with my Wii overhearting before, but about a week ago, it got left on 8 hours in one day, and started randomly turning off on its own.  I had at least one day in which it didn't give me problems, but every time since that I've used it, it shuts off on its own.  I've checked all the wires (including the AC Adaptor) for any damage and there's none.  I don't have any other controllers attached to it, nor any non-Nintendo made products.  I changed the placement of the Wii to see if it was ventilation; I cleaned out the two vents with a soft-brush vaccuum.  But it's still having the same problem.

I know I can send it in to Nintendo for repairs, but since it costs a fair amount of money, and I don't know how long it will take to get back, I'd like to use that as a last resort.  Can someone give me any possibility for something else to try?  I think it's overheating - I've honestly never noticed if the fan on the back is supposed to be on.  Is it supposed to be working, and sending out ventilated air?  If it's not, is that a sure sign that it needs to be fixed?

Thanks in advanced.

DSLITE7 536 posts since
May 29, 2010
Aug 8, 2010 4:00 PM in response to: LUTHIENTINUVIEL
Re: Wii overheating?

When the Wii is on, reach to the back of the Wii and see if the fan is working.  It's a little hard to feel, but you should notice it.  Also, prop your Wii up vertically.  When the Wii is horizontal, it hits a solid object that can absorb and radiate heat back to the Wii, causing it to overheat.  Make sure the Wii is in a well ventilated area, and all that other stuff.  How long do you usually play it daily?

Trust me, I know how you feel.  My Wii has artifacting, when the Graphic Proccessing Unit overheats.  You start to see black/white pixels all over the screen on some games.  Does this happen on your Wii?

Back to the subject though, the Wii shutting off is usually because of overheating, so try the above tips and see if they help.

70 posts since
Jul 20, 2010
Aug 8, 2010 10:40 PM in response to: LUTHIENTINUVIEL
Re: Wii overheating?

http://www.amazon.com/LIGHT-COOLING-COOLER-CRYSTAL-NINTENDO-Wii/dp/B000UO4C96/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281332329&sr=1-3

try something like that.  Gamestop also has something similar but I can't find the link right now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)