Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
14,183 Views 4 Replies Last post: Aug 29, 2010 10:03 AM by ONE-OF-THREE
RSS
3 posts since
Jul 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2010 5:20 PM

Sandisk SDHC Card and Music for Nintendo DSi

Hello! My sister had recently purchased a new Nintendo DSi and has wanted to play music in it. In order to do that, she needed an SD card. My mother had bought her a SANDISK 4GB SDHC CARD. We don't have problems putting pictures in it using her DSi, but we still don't know how to put music into it from our HP Laptop! Can anyone please let me know HOW I can put music into the SDHC card and how I can play it on the DSi. Thank You

Note: My laptop has a media reader which allows me to insert SD cards into it. After I put the SD card in, I can see it's files ONLY if its data is formatted (in other words, it has no pictures in it). If it does have pictures in it, and I end up inserting it into my laptop, it says I am required to format the SD card before being able to use it. Please let me know how I can easily put music into the SD card without having to delete any pictures and such.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,593 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 28, 2010 6:34 PM in response to: WIIFREAK1995
Re: Sandisk SDHC Card and Music for Nintendo DSi

You or your sister shouldn't have any problems using this SD Card with her DSi for both pictures and music, but likely what the problem is that some computers and/or laptops do have to "Format" the SD Card before it can be recognized or used by the computer/laptop.

But unfortunately, formatting an SD Card might erase all the pictures that your sister may have taken, so she might want to transfer them from the SD Card and onto the DSi internal memory so that none are lost.:)

And to transfer the pictures, you or have her start the "Nintendo DSi Camera" program with the SD Card inserted into the DSi, touch the "Other" option on the bottom of the lower screen, and use the "Copy" feature to "Copy from SD Card to system".:)

Then once that is done, exit the program, heading back to the DSi main menu screen where it is now safe to shut down the DSi and then remove the SD Card.:)

Now you (or her) can safely format the SD Card on the HP laptop and hopefully now begin the fun of adding music to the card and then be able to listen to it on the DSi.:)

Which a good place to start is by clicking here to find some information on what type of music can be played on the DSi, and programs that you might want to use if you and your sister only have MP3 music and not the needed "AAC" (.m4a) that the DSi (and Wii console) plays.:)

Then one you have the proper music files, it becomes just a case of opening up the SD Card on the laptop, where there will be a music folder ready and waiting for the converted AAC (.m4a) files to be copied to, or "dragged and dropped" onto the SD Card.:)

And then once you or your sister inserts the SD Card back into her DSi, once you enter the "DSi Sound" feature, you can start to "Play with your music" by going "Auto" and have a random selection of songs from the SD Card, or touch on whatever you may have named SD Card music folder and you can select whichever song you wish to listen to first.

CHARIBLAZE1 289 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 9:35 AM in response to: WIIFREAK1995

Music can either go on just the SDHC card (where you'll see a folder called /SD CARD when you look for the music on the DSi) or there's the option of making your own folders on the laptop and putting the music in there.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,593 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 10:03 AM in response to: WIIFREAK1995

WIIFREAK1995  wrote:

But how about if the SDHC card doesn't have a music folder?

No problem, it is quite easy to make a new folder or as many folders as you need for pictures, music or anything else.:)

SDCardOpenFiles.png(click on image for larger view)

Likely you have already seen this pop-up appear when you insert the SD Card into the laptop, but just click on the "Open folder to view files".

SDCardNewFolder.png(click on image for larger view)

And this will open up the SD Card, where you can view all the folders, and then you just click on "File", "New" then scroll over to and click on "Folder" and a new folder will be created on the SD Card.:)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)