Skip navigation
183,561 Views 40 Replies Last post: Jan 11, 2014 5:40 PM by MARIO
RSS
3 posts since
Nov 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 13, 2010 2:01 PM

An error has occurred. Message occurred while playing Black Ops

I receive the following error message while playing the COD Black Ops game.  This message occurred about half way through the game.
"An error has occurred. Press the eject button, remove the game disk, and turn off the power to the console. Please read the Wii operations manual for further instructions."

Symptoms:
1. No other Wii Game disks will play after this error occurred.
2. Resetting Wii did not help.
3. Black Ops disk is new and no scratches or dirt are on the media.

4. Game Cube games can still be played.

My Wii System is at the latest system version.  I know Black Ops forced a system update when it started.  Is the Black Ops update corrupt? 

My Wii will not allow me to update the system software because it sees the latest software version.  I was hoping that refreshing the system software OR backing down a revision will allow my other games to play again.  Is there a way to force the latest system update to install again or specify a specific version to install?

Any recommendations on how to correct this error without losing all my progress for my other saved games?

PS. Activision was no help.  Hopefully, Nintendo techs are a lot more resourceful and helpful.

Please help.  Thanks

KYKY1975 124 posts since
Apr 5, 2010
Nov 13, 2010 7:05 PM in response to: DJ1234
Re: An error has occurred. Message occurred while playing Black Ops

Well you can try to use a Official Nintendo Lens Cleaner.

1 posts since
Nov 14, 2010
Nov 14, 2010 6:50 AM in response to: DJ1234

I just had this same issue... I got the error message, followed the instructions by taking out blacks ops, then I turn off the Wii, unplugged it, and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Next, I tried playing Modern Warfare Reflex, with no luck either. I'm not sure yet whether or not it will play other Wii games besides the CoD series, but I'm pretty sure it won't. I feel the exact same way.

BFMV3 119 posts since
Oct 30, 2010
Nov 14, 2010 7:10 AM in response to: RG10

Yeah, a lot of people are having this problem. I would wait until anouther update, its probably a glitch or bug in the update. That happens sometimes with games...

KYKY1975 124 posts since
Apr 5, 2010
Nov 14, 2010 10:02 AM in response to: DJ1234

You should have a repair because all of the new games (some new games) have compact disks and use more power than other games but it depends on how old is the Wii. And here is the link http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/gameDiscs.jsp#error_only_one

TRUENFAN 317 posts since
Aug 9, 2010
Nov 16, 2010 10:38 PM in response to: DJ1234

Have you contacted Nintendo about this yet if so reply.

[TNF]

1 posts since
Nov 17, 2010
Nov 17, 2010 12:47 PM in response to: DJ1234

I have the same problem.  I contacted Nintendo support yesterday, and they claim that it it just a coincidence that we are all playing Black Ops when this happens.  Their theory was that everyone is now dusting off their Wiis and playing them again, and since everyone is playing Black Ops, it's just a crazy coincidence.  We play our Wii every day.  Nintendo said there is NO WAY that a game could corrupt the system, because the Wii is just reading data from the disk and it is not doing anything different than any other game.   Their recommendation was to mail our system in for $85 to get it fixed.     I said I thought that it was not a coincidence, and if/when they get flooded with the same calls and figure out the problem, then I'd get the fix.

BTW - How would I refresh/restore my Wii system software, as the original post said they did?  Thanks

1 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Nov 18, 2010 1:36 PM in response to: DJ1234

I am getting the same can't read disc error after playing Black Ops.   I have tried theWII disc cleaner, unplugging for an hour and restarting, doing a hard reset.  None of my game discs are working. This seemed to happen after Black ops was patched. Hoping an update comes out that will fix it.  Doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the WII, just wont read the discs.

PURDUE8488 2 posts since
Nov 26, 2010
Nov 26, 2010 5:06 PM in response to: CANNELLIO

All my friends are having the same problem with Black Ops!! I can play COD reflex with no problems!!! NO ERRORS.... But, Black-Ops..... after 10 mins.... error!! Seems like a pattern is forming. We all need a BIG update to fix this mess..... PLEASE!! Nintendo and activision  needs to be notified about all these problems! Mybe we can get a refund on the COD black ops game!! LOL Yea right! I have been a nintendo fan a long time!!!! My be its time to look at the others game systems... . I am gonna try one thing that i have found out that might work. cleaning the lens on the system. I have been researching for an answer. It all leads to that! . If not.... COD reflex for me, at least that freaking works!!  And there is no errors etc........... I will let you know if the cleaning works for me .

PURDUE8488 2 posts since
Nov 26, 2010
Nov 27, 2010 1:44 PM in response to: PURDUE8488

Ok, all

I went and bought the Wii cleaner......and it worked, I was OMG!!! I had to clean it three times. There was so much freaking whatever on the lens. I played COD black-Ops. Before i cleaned it, well ....after 5mins...ERROR!!! Then i cleaned it....well, 5mins ERROR!!! So i cleaned it over and over again Moving the tab up and down for about 50-100 times fast! I did that for three time. Taking a few mins so the cleaner would dry. Then i put it back in the wii. I think you get the picture!! ! Before i was only getting 5mins of play. NOW.... I was playing for over 2hrs+++ I had to stop i had a cramp in my arm!! LOL Hope it help you.... We will see if it works in the morning or later tonight..... Good luck!!!!

2 posts since
Dec 13, 2010
Dec 13, 2010 7:30 PM in response to: PURDUE8488

Same problem -- kids got Black Ops and a couple weeks later disk error.  At first some other disks worked, but now nothing.  Replaced spindle drive motor.  It worked for about 10 minutes and then same problem.  Lens cleaning disk was no help.  Sorry, but there's something up with this game.  Someone's going to have to 'fess up to it.  My personal theory is the game pushes the Wii hardware outside its operating specs and causes something to fail.

2 posts since
Dec 14, 2010
Dec 14, 2010 7:33 PM in response to: DJ1234

I've been having the same issue as well since my new games forced an update to 4.3 The new games are Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Other M.  I found where I could buy a new drive (complete) and put that in.  It worked for a few days, and I just realized that I had been playing my old games then I played the new ones and at first unpluging everything and letting it reset worked, the next time then the next day, I had an error as well but after reinserting the disk three times it works.  Now resetting nor reinserting the games is working.  None of my games including the GC games work.  I'm totally discusted because I paid $60 for the new drive and really thought that would take care of the problem.

2 posts since
Dec 14, 2010
Dec 14, 2010 9:01 PM in response to: CAROL789

After reading through several of the forums on here it seams there is a problem with Metroid Other M on the Launch Wii, someone said that Nintendo would repair it without cost regardless of warranty status. And replace the Other M disk with one that won't break the Wii.  Is this true?  Could I have some real Nintendo support here please and not someone that doesn't really know anymore than I do??

1 posts since
Jan 21, 2011
Jan 21, 2011 12:24 PM in response to: CAROL789

I'm having this same issue. I've had my Wii since the Christmas of '07 and have had no problems with it. This error with Black Ops reminded me of the problems that people were having with Super Smash Brother Brawl when it came out. I didn't have any problem with Brawl, but some had this same "disk could not be read..." error with Brawl that I'm getting with Black Ops. The only difference is with most of the Brawl errors they could still play there other games. With Black Ops none of my other wii games work. I can get gamecube games to work and I can play wiiware games and that's it. I have ordered a Wii Lens Cleaning Kit and I hope that that works because my Wii has passed its waranty date and I would have to pay $75 to get this system fixed. I don't think paying $75 dollars is fair since I've been a loyal nintendo customer all of these years. From '05-'11 I've only owned a Gamecube and a Wii and all of my money seems to be going right to Nintendo. I am convinced that either my Lens really is dirty, or Black Ops/System Update 4.3U is the problem. I get my Lens Cleaning Kit on Moday and I will definitly post the results on here since this is the top link on google when you search for the problem. If the Lens Cleaning Kit doesn't work then I think that I will have a little chat with Nintendo Customer Support on Tuesday.

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Jan 21, 2011 12:41 PM in response to: CAROL789

If you are getting this message, this page (click here) has troubleshooting information. You may end up needing to get a repair from Nintendo for this issue, unfortunately.

I don't believe there is any problem that I know of with launch Wiis having trouble reading some games. As I understand it, some games are dual-layered and with dust and other kinds of build-up it can make it difficult for the disc drive to read the disc, however, I think this problem would give you a "Disc could not be read" error, which there is troubleshooting for on this page (click here.)

1 posts since
Jan 21, 2011
Jan 21, 2011 3:18 PM in response to: DJ1234

I've just had this happen to me. I had played through the COD Black ops campaign once and was almost finished with the "hardened" level when I got the error message. I've also been playing online for the last 4 weeks with no problems. I took my COD game disc to my neighbors house and tried it in their Wii and it seemed to work just fine, at least for 5 or 10 minutes. I tried COD World at War, Wii Sports, and Wii Play in my Wii and those games played with no problems. So what's going on? I'm not sure at all if it's my console or the game. I guess my next move will be to try the official Wii lens cleaner. It sounds like some people on this forum have had some success with it. I assume, based on their post that they somehow got into the console to clean the lens. I have no idea how to do that and the Nintendo operations manual offers no help. Is there any official word from Nintendo on this issue, or solution?

1 posts since
Feb 26, 2011
Feb 26, 2011 12:33 PM in response to: SG83

It seems too frequent to be a mere coincidence...I've also had the exact same problem...but I havn't overused my wii what-so-ever. I would play for 1-2 hours tops at one time and then usually wouldn't pick it up again until the next day. And my wii is in use almost daily, so there is no chance that it is an issue of not being used. I was confident in just buying the Wii Cleaning Kit before I found this post...but now I am worried that this cannot be resolved with a simple cleaning...

Also, why would Nintendo make the SET repair price at $85..? This has me thinking that they HAVE seen that this is a commonly occuring problem and are hoping to cash in with it...

Can a Nintendo employee or at least a mod/admin please give us all some information of this topic? It is a VERY common occurance that has been happening for at least the past few weeks concerning Black Ops and disk reading errors.

2 posts since
Feb 26, 2011
Feb 26, 2011 3:01 PM in response to: KAKASHI_THE_SCARECROW

There's another post for the same issue here:  http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/27658#27658

It seemed to have more recent posts, so I added mine there.

3 posts since
Mar 3, 2011
Mar 3, 2011 12:28 PM in response to: KAKASHI_THE_SCARECROW

Same problem only with COD/BO game. Other games play OK.  Don't know if it matters but we just got a headset same day and started using it. Also had strange occurance about a week prior - entire memory erased overnight, all blocks emptied, including Mii channel etc.  Seems to me the game is the problem, or something with update. Going to try the Wii cleaner before calling tech or sending for repair.

3 posts since
Mar 13, 2011
Mar 13, 2011 1:52 PM in response to: BOWILL

Im having the same error as everyone else on this forum and so many other forums.. This seems like a major nintendo problem and i would expect them to eventually do something about it since none of the games work, cleaning the len didnt work and i have payed way too much for this system to go buy and xbox or playstation, but im seriously debating buying either.

1 posts since
May 16, 2011
May 16, 2011 1:37 PM in response to: BIRDMAN425

The  same thing happened to my wii.  With the Wii Sports game I tested if it  still worked on it worked fine, its just Black Ops. I did just update  with the required update that you must do, do you think thats its a bug?  Please respond. Maybe they'll fix it. My Black Ops disk is not really  scratched. Should I just buy a new disk...? i really do not feel like  spending another $30.00. If its my Wii is there a way to not loose all  my progress, because i am a 13th prestige. Help?

2 posts since
Jul 1, 2011
Jul 1, 2011 5:17 PM in response to: DJ1234

That happened to me too the day after I purchased Samurai Warriors 3. I'm really hoping this issue is something really minor that we all can fix in a jiffy. My only theory is perhaps the O/S does need some updating, or the lens need cleaning. I really don't know how else to fix my wii unless I can buy that 3-nodded screw driver.

1 posts since
Aug 14, 2011
Aug 14, 2011 7:43 PM in response to: DJ1234

I recieved the same error message but mine was with a Just Dance game. Now none of our Wii games work but we can play games we have downloaded and Game Cube games. How do we fix this?

1 posts since
Aug 21, 2011
Aug 21, 2011 9:56 AM in response to: DJ1234

I just had the same problem but the game is Super Smash Bros. It played fine a handful of times and now no games will play.

I'm not trying any lens cleaner or junk so don't pimp that anymore than it already has been in this thread.

HUMBLEVAUDEVILLIANVETERAN 1 posts since
May 31, 2012
Jun 1, 2012 3:49 PM in response to: DJ1234

this happened to me last month after getting metroid other m. i reformatted my wii to no avail. did everything i could possibly do. nintendo didn't help. after a month of no wii, i was just about to give up and last night i was deleting my stuff off the wii to say goodbye to it. i deleted the netflix channel and thought it would give paper mario one last go, it worked. reinstalled netflix, it stopped. uninstalled it again and i have a perfect, happy wii back. hope this helps. i also told nintendo this.

MADMAMMA 1 posts since
Jul 2, 2012
Jul 2, 2012 9:45 PM in response to: DJ1234

This has occurred with our Wii while playing Black Ops as well. We have tried to clean it with a keyboard duster, the "official" Wii Lens Cleaner, and have even replaced the laser.  Nothing has worked. I have deleted the information and channels (including Netflix) and reformatted the Wii.  Still getting the same error.  We have even went and bought a used Wii console as we have $1000's invested in not only the Wii, but all the controllers, accesories, and a multitude of games.  I will not let my kids play Black Ops on the new/used Wii, as I do not want the same thing to happen, which is sad, since I spent $69 to buy that particular game.  I think this is a bunch of **** and that Nintendo does need to step up and fix this problem.  It is more that just coincidence that every user on this site has had the same problem with the same game. I am able to use Gamecube games in the Wii, just not Wii game disks.  Now, I can not even get the console to accept the Wii disks and the blue light will not even light up.  It will eject them fine, once we get them into the console, but most of the time, it is now not even recognizing that there is a disk inserted.  I would like answers and would like them soon, since it seems this problem has been an issue for some time now.  

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Jul 3, 2012 3:35 PM in response to: MADMAMMA

This is likely just a coincidence since Black Ops is a popular game, it makes sense that people who have problems may notice them with this game in particular. The only thing we can suggest for this error is to get an official repair, which would be cheaper than a new system most likely and would ensure that purchased download content can be retained (since there is no user-supported way to transfer this content.)

You can call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 for further assistance.

M6543 1 posts since
Jul 4, 2012
Jul 4, 2012 8:13 AM in response to: DJ1234

I truly feel like this is a sad situation for nintendo.  To me it looks like nintendo is in denial at the fact that there is an issue going on with its online wii games.  I have had a wii for years.  In fact I got my wii the first year it came out.  I have never had an issue with it.  I have played hundreds of games and many hours on the console.  This error occurred shortly after downloading a patch on and then playing Black Ops.  I have had Black Ops since it came out this last November.  I have never had an issue until recently.  With the way this blog reads, to be able to play that long meant that I got lucky.

Now I know what the tech support is going to say; that my console needs cleaning or I need a repair.  Here's the problem with that as a solution.  I have been reading blogs for the last SEVERAL HOURS and have noticed this as being an issue for those whom have purchased a wii rather recently.  People are going out and spending their hard-earned money to get repairs done that are not helping.  I read one blog where a person went out and spent $60 for a new drive, only to find out ten minutes after getting their wii home that the error occurred again.  I don't think it is sound advice to be telling people to go out and get costly repairs that are obviously not fixing the issue.

This is also not an issue that has just came out.  I am seeing that this blog has been going on for several years and nintendo is still not addressing the problem.  There are close to 30 posts on this blog alone of people having the same issue, in the same way.  The wii makes a loud noise now when I put in a wii game.  It still reads game cube games and we still have Netflix functioning but cannot play wii games.  I have always grown up with nintendo being a quality company, with quality products.  The fact that nintendo seems to be turning a blind eye to this is very disappointing.  Nintendo needs to reflect on the impact of this issue on their long-time consumers. 

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Jul 4, 2012 4:00 PM in response to: M6543

As I said above, it is likely a coincidence since this is a popular game. You mentioned people buying new drives, this is not an official repair. An official repair through Nintendo would be the best way to ensure that you actually get the problem fixed.

MARIOGIRL1999 127 posts since
Jan 4, 2012
Jul 4, 2012 4:39 PM in response to: MARIO

The Wii U is coming out soon, so if you were planing to get it, I would wait on a repair. I honestly dont think its a conwincidence if more than one person keeps adressing the same problem. But a problem it still is, cowinsidence or not. I would just wait on nintendo latest system to come out and get that, so you dont have to use money on a repair if you want the newer system.

VCRAZYMAN 1 posts since
Sep 3, 2012
Sep 3, 2012 1:31 PM in response to: MARIO

The same message has been left over and over again to contact nintendo and have your wii be offically repaired.  Problem is the reason this is happening is an offical nintendo game has been used in an offical nintendo console.

And yes it is just a coinsidence that COD is the cause of the issue since it has happened to me after playing Tiger woods 12 and the only options nintendo has given me is to pay 85 dollars for the repair or wait for the Wii U to come out and purchase that.

And the way I see it, the occurances two years ago could have been fixed with 45 dollars to ship the Wii to nintnedo and a replacement be sent to the customer while support found a real answer to nintendo's new problems.  Then again since my wii was fully updated, according to nintnedo, before playing TW12 then updated off the game there is likely a software confusion going on, but the latest up date is march of 2010 which proves the problem is being ignored by nintendo and that us consumers are worthless unless we buy the new thing.

MADRUSSIAN1022 1 posts since
Dec 24, 2012
Dec 24, 2012 5:16 AM in response to: DJ1234

I have the same problem. Yesterday  while I was playing Black Ops multiplayer, in the middle of the game it said it. But when I tried to turn off my wii it wouldn't turn off. After i restarted it, I took out black ops and put mw3 in. But as soon as i joined a team deathmatch it said an error has occurred again. Now nothing seems to work. I tried what talsparsdad said but it only worked a little longer. ah wii. how beautiful it is.

EARTHBOUND33 2,270 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Dec 24, 2012 7:12 AM in response to: MADRUSSIAN1022

does this happen with all games or just call of duty?

ALEX762 970 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Dec 26, 2012 7:54 AM in response to: MADRUSSIAN1022

You should start your own disscusion this form has been made 2 years ago.

TTURNER519 1 posts since
Jan 22, 2013
Jan 22, 2013 4:41 PM in response to: DJ1234

I have had this problem for awhile and I have never played Black Ops. So obviously it isn't the game!

THELINKGUY 46 posts since
Sep 16, 2012
Jan 26, 2013 8:16 PM in response to: DJ1234

I am not familar with this, but I do know that games like Black Ops are not very compatible with the Wii and are better off playing on the Xbox 360,if it helps.

YYS62 29 posts since
Jan 1, 2013
Jan 26, 2013 8:37 PM in response to: DJ1234

You could call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700. They may be able to help. What is the error code or did you get one? If you did tell me the error code I could tell you how to fix it.

CHARLIETHREEBALCZY 1 posts since
Jan 11, 2014
Jan 14, 2014 2:44 PM in response to: DJ1234

I'm having the same issue with Just Dance 2014. This was a Christmas present for my wife. After all this time no acknowledgement of an obvious bug?

Switching consoles.

***Edited to remove censored content.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_MIKA

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Jan 11, 2014 5:40 PM in response to: CHARLIETHREEBALCZY

This error is likely a hardware problem, not a software bug. I would call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 to set up a repair.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)