Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
111,082 Views 33 Replies Last post: Jan 24, 2013 5:26 PM by GREGDGEORGE
RSS
4 posts since
Nov 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2011 3:44 PM

Wii loses connection to netflix

Netflix on the Wii works perfectly, with one issue. Every ~28 minutes, the Wii/Netflix playback stops and states that it has lost connection to netflix. It gives you the option to try again or stop. Try again never works, but stopping and restarting the netflix application on the Wii works without fail. I have no other evident issues. The network connection is using rockfish-USB-Ethernet a a wireless bridge. There are no other networking symptoms and playback is otherwise without fault. Any ideas?

BOBA2007 64 posts since
May 12, 2010
Nov 28, 2010 1:44 PM in response to: MRNICKT
Re: Wii looses connection to netflix

This happens to me too, I don't know how to fix it, but I usually just press try again, go back to the menu with all the movies to select, then I wait for it to get connectivity back (the movie covers will appear once it get's connectivity), then I continue watching my movie. It's less annoying than going to the wii menu and then going back to Netflix.

4 posts since
Dec 8, 2010
Dec 8, 2010 6:28 AM in response to: BOBA2007

Hi,

I used to be able to recover that same way (hitting "retry" and going to the movie cover to restart rather than going all the way out to the NetFlix app again),

However, since NetFlix did away with having to use the NetFlix CD, I no longer have that option. Now when it loses connection, the "Retry" option will not work. I find myself going all the way back to re-loading the NetFlix app, then picking the movie again, and then starting it all over again, and fastforwarding to the spot it messed up. Watching a movie on the Wii has become more trouble than it's worth.

Just wondering if you noticed the same thing, or perhaps you still use the NetFlix CD to start NetFlix on the Wii?

Thanks,

***Edited to remove personal information. Please do not share personal information on our Tech Support Forums.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_ABE

DSI'S 414 posts since
May 8, 2010
Nov 28, 2010 1:45 PM in response to: MRNICKT

When I use Netflix on our Wii it doesn't usually do this except some times. the only thing you really can do is turn it off and wait to watch something for a while, then after a while it usually works. Or has it been doing this for days? Hope it helps.

4 posts since
Dec 8, 2010
Dec 8, 2010 6:29 AM in response to: MRNICKT

Same happening here.

I even bought the Network Adaptor for the Wii so that I could connect to my "wired" network, thinking perhaps the WiFi network was too slow. Nope, it's the SAME problem!

I can launch the same movie on my iPad and watch in its entirety without issue wirelessly.

Our XBox (on the same network) will play the movie online without issue as well!

So, to me this confirms that is IS a Wii issue. So - how about a solution, Nintendo!

I have a theory about this issue -

Could it be a caching problem and not a network problem at all?

In other words, does the Wii need an additional memory card to cache the video streaming? Perhaps there is not enough built-in memory capacity to cache video while streaming. What do you think?

Thanks,

***Edited to remove personal information. Please do not share personal information on our Tech Support Forums.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_ABE

4 posts since
Dec 8, 2010
Dec 22, 2010 6:23 AM in response to: WIIFIFOFUM
Re: Wii loses connection to NetFlix: UPDATE

Here's an update to my issue with NetFlix movies losing connection on the Wii,

Today I finally added an SD card. It was only a 2GB card, but it should have done the trick.

I then went to the Wii menu and moved the NetFlix application to the SD card.

After I moved the NetFlix application to the SD card, I launched NetFlix and started a movie.

The reason I did this was to see if there was a caching issue.

Just like clockwork, the movie ran between 15 to 18 minutes and it lost connection again. This really sucks.

So far - things I've tried:

1) Moved from Wifi to Wired.

2) Moved NetFlix application to a SD card.

3) Updated Wii operating system (was already updated)

4) Maxed out my MTU setting on my router

5) Set my QOS (Quality of Service) to provide FULL network bandwidth priority to the Wii.

The proof it has something to do with Wii or NetFlix application itself -

1) No issues watching from a PC.

2) No issues watching on my iPad (via WiFi

Okay, Nintendo, I realize this is a GAME console and not a movie console, but your competition is at your heals on this one.

NetFlix works on our Xbox360 (AND it uses HDMI!)

I love my Wii. Please, can you help before my kids make me put the Wii in the basement and bring the Xbox back into the family room?

4 posts since
Dec 8, 2010
Dec 22, 2010 6:26 AM in response to: MRNICKT

Please see my updated post on December 22nd.

I've listed out everything I could think of to fix this issue.

None of it helped me, but I hope perhaps it may help you.

Nintendo needs to step up I think.

2 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 8:20 PM in response to: MRNICKT
Re: Wii loses connection to netflix

Why is this forum post marked as having a correct answer?  None of the solutions here work.  I'm having the same issue.  My Wii has strong (green) wireless connection.  I can confirm with laptops that the wireless signal is strong and constant.  Error message about "lost connection to netflix" or the like.  The retry button does nothing, I have to quit and come back in to resume playing. There is no re-buffering or the like so it is not simply a slow connection.  The whole experience is /very/ disappointing.  I suprised my family with a wireless router for the express purpose of allowing them to use their Wii for netflix streaming... and now it is the end of the day on Christmas and they are just seeing that the tech is flaky and hard to use.  It is all very disappointing, and frustrating because we are sandwiched between Netflix, our ISP, and Nintendo all of whom may simply point the finger at one of the other two.  I hope Netflix support actually reads this forum post link I sent them and does something to resolve the issue post-haste.

1 posts since
Dec 28, 2010
Dec 28, 2010 9:12 AM in response to: MRNICKT

I have been dealing with this problem since the Netflix Wii streaming software has been available - no real help from Nintendo or Netflix.

Here's what I know:

1) My computer and Wii are directly connected to my router.

2) Speed check on my computer says download rate is consistently between 3.5 and 4.5 mps

3) While watching a Netflix movie pressing the Number 2 button on the hand module (near bottom face of the module) will cause the download rate via the Wii to appear on upper left side of screen - this runs between 0.5 and and 1.5 mps after the Wii.

4) Netflix says I need a consistent 1.5 mps or more streaming rate to watch their movies. Netflix says that if I don't get the 1.5 mps rate, these kinds of things happen. Netflix will not say the problem is Nintendo's but they imply it is.

I don't think Nintendo has any particular interest in fixing this problem. They manufacture a gaming device and have had no real incentive to provide a streaming device. 

1 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011 10:57 PM in response to: JBLOWE

Got same thing, but I think I have a clue.

I got this same error on a NetGear router (3500) and it SEEMED like it started occurring when I downloaded the netflix channel.  When I was using the disk, it was working fine.  For a while, I just continued to use the disk.  But then Netflix eliminated the ability to use the disk.  So I switched it to connect to my other router, which is a Belkin wireless G router.  I have had no problems on that one.

Recently I took my Wii down to my parent's house and ran into the problem again.  This time it was with a Linksys router.  When I reconfigured it back to my Belkin, the problem disappeared.  My Dad said he had problems keeping the connection with the Linksys and his laptops, so that may have something to do with it.  What kind of router are you using?

3 posts since
Jan 3, 2011
Jan 3, 2011 2:55 PM in response to: JOMAN100
Re: Wii looses connection to Netflix/trouble connecting/slow

I had the same issues. EVER SINCE NETFLIX WENT FROM THE DISK APP' FORMAT TO DOWNLOADING THE Wii APP, I too have been having "connectivity problems". Everything was PERFECT before this. I've tried everything in the book, and nothing seems to work. This is almost certainly an application issue. Some issues/symtoms now experienced:

The Netflix program can be slow loading or load about 90% (+/-) of the way and then just stop loading; I get error messages that the Wii cannot connect to Netflix; not all movies/shows in que are showing up on the screen list; some movies or shows that I have repeatedly tried to or have watched instantly are suddenly "only available on DVD" one minute, and then available the next; Movies on the various menu lists take forever to show up/load...if they do show up, they will then not load. About 20% of the time, the app' will work, but not well. All other internet app's on Wii work just fine and connection speed is NOT the issue here.

Either Netflix or Wii need to wake up to this real issue and have it corrected soon. No one seems to want to take responsibilty and help. Each point the finger at the other for getting the customer support.

Anyone else having the same or similar issues?

22 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Jan 3, 2011 5:35 PM in response to: SKIIERGUY

From what I'm hearing it sounds like you guys are having router problems.  Many router need to be configured properly to stream video to the Wii console.  I would check Nintendo's website for information on configuring your router to work with the Wii.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/routers/index.jsp

3 posts since
Jan 3, 2011
Jan 4, 2011 7:52 PM in response to: DINGUS

I seriously doubt it's a router issue. As was mentioned, everything work fine up until the point that the app' was switched over to the downloaded app' from the Netflix CD based app'. All other internet connection systems work fine (news feed, Nintendo Store, etc., etc.) NOTHING else was changed. This is a recurring issue that we've been seeing posted. If the router worked fine before, why would a simple switch in the app' format be causing problems all of a sudden?

1 posts since
Jan 8, 2011
Jan 8, 2011 5:24 AM in response to: MRNICKT

This happens to me, too.  Any time of day or night.  I'm trying to watch a movie right now and it so far has stopped at 36 min, 54 min, 1hr 12 min, and 1 hr 36 min.  It didn't do this when Netflix ran from the CD.  "Try Again" never works.  It will take me back to the movie cover, but even if I hit resume from that screen the movie will not play until I select Quit, which returns to the Wii menu, then I go back to Netflix again.  I just got a second Wii for christmas and the new Wii has not had this playback interruption in the 8+ hours of viewing time I've had so far.  Wii #1 was purchased April 2009.  Is it possible the new Wii has something the older Wii doesn't?

1 posts since
Jan 10, 2011
Jan 10, 2011 12:09 PM in response to: JA_MO

I dont have connection problem, but speed when watching netflix is way lower than it is when watching it on the pc. I bought the lan adapter and hardwired it and it didn't seem to make much difference at all. I tried it both ways. I even went as far as moving the wii near my computer and hooking it up on a tv with the ethernet cable from internet modem connected directly to the wii lan adapter and it didn't make any difference either. That way there was no router or anything else connected. I downloaded a small real time speed monitor, so I can also see the speed that it runs on the pc and it was running  2-4 when the movie was running on the pc , but only about .80 on the wii. It seems like it is a wii problem to me as I have elimated everything else. I never had netflix disc , so I don't know about that, but I have netflix loaded on a sd card.

1 posts since
Jan 17, 2011
Jan 17, 2011 9:03 AM in response to: MRNICKT

I have the same problem.  I pray Wii and Netflix gets this fixed soon.  I have called and they don't realize how bad the situation is. It is very frustrating to have to restart your show every 38 minutes.  They blame it on this and that, but I didn't have the problem until they made the channel.  The disc worked awesome.  They really need to get this fixed.

1 posts since
Jan 29, 2011
Jan 29, 2011 8:11 AM in response to: PASTORKNEA

Hi

How can this thread have it marked as "possible answer"!!!!!!

I too have the same problem. Please fix my Wii Nintendo

(maybe I should be complaining to Netflix to get them to lean on Nintendo.....after all their profits up 50%)

1 posts since
Feb 16, 2011
Feb 16, 2011 7:22 AM in response to: SAILINGDREAMS

I had the same problem and consulted this and several other sources to attempt a fix.  In my case, our streaming Netflix lost connection every 21-23 minutes.  I replaced my Wireless-B router with a new Wireless-G and have not had the problem even once since then.  I don't know if solution was due to switching from a -B to a -G router, or if it just needed replacing, but either way my problem was solved.

9 posts since
Feb 21, 2011
Feb 21, 2011 10:12 AM in response to: MATCHTHEHATCH

Hello all, be aware, there are a few external issues that can cause this.

1. Your internet provider may be throttling your connection. Basically, if your bandwidth is exceeding what they want you to have or what your paying for, you could have this happen.

2. Netflix checks your connection speed at load to determine your buffering requirements and if your bandwidth/network usage changes (in your house or on your provider node), your initial buffer settings can become inadaquate and you can see this message. I have heard complaints from a few well known ISPs to do this. I will NOT provide those names here as it it is against forum rules.

3. Your hardware can be an issue as some users have posted favorable results with replacing their router.  Also, your wii's connection wireless/hardwired can play a huge role in this. Just because your wireless connection works fine in one spot and not another can be the result of interfearance from other electronic devices. Maybe moving your wii to a different spot may help, or making sure that if your on a wireless network, your on your network, and if so, make sure your wireless network is locked down and not wide open to the world where your bandwidth is then being utilized by your neighbors.

3 posts since
Jan 15, 2011
Mar 2, 2011 4:33 AM in response to: MRNICKT

Alas,

I too have experienced this issue.  It does seem that changing routers makes a minimal difference in HOW LONG NetFlix stays available to me, before I must completely exit and re-enter.  Still, I too agree something might be wrong with the NetFlix App

A few questions to anybody who wants to answer:

* How long does NetFlix stay up normally?

* What WiFi Security settings have you used in the past?

* Has anybody tried NetFlix with the USB Ethernet adapter?  Does this help?

Like everybody else, NetFlix works just fine streamed from my NetBook, but when streaming from the Wii, I get the errors.

Nintendo! Help! Please tell us what we need to do to troubleshoot this!

1 posts since
Mar 3, 2011
Mar 3, 2011 7:56 AM in response to: MRNICKT

I'd like to add to the chorus of wii users experiencing this problem.

Our Wii can;t stay connected more than 20 or 30 minutes while streaming a movie.  Netflix works fine from 1 desktop and 2 laptops here in my house and it also works flawlessly from our Roku XD box.  Only the Wii has issues. 

1 posts since
Mar 16, 2011
Mar 16, 2011 3:19 PM in response to: MRNICKT

I also have this problem and have been searching for a solution for months.

Netflix drops connectivity approximately every 35 minutes. This problem does not happen on laptops in our house, and it did not happen on the Wii when we used the Netflix disc. It is only a problem with the Netflix channel.

Clearly this problem is related to the design of the Netflix channel, not to routers or connectivity. Nintendo, I would appreciate an update of the Netflix channel that fixes the problem.

1 posts since
Mar 21, 2011
Mar 21, 2011 1:45 PM in response to: MRNICKT

I also have this problem.  Tried most everything others have listed.  It's a joke that it hasn't been addressed at all by either of these companies.  I'll give it a few months and cancel netflix and sell my Wii.  There are other options that work just fine.

3 posts since
Jan 15, 2011
Apr 8, 2011 4:57 PM in response to: MRNICKT

I found a solution, at least for me - I am fortunate enough to have my wireless router immediately next to my Wii.  I purchased a TrendNet (TU2-ET100) USB to Ethernet adapter.  My Internet connection on my WII is now "Wired" instead of the wireless option.  I haven't had a disconnect from NetFlix in 2 days.  For the about $20 purchase from my local computer store, this was well worth it (My wife, son and I use NetFlix as our primary source of TV right now.)

For those of you who want this fixed, I suggest buying one of these "Wii ready" ethernet adapters. Well worth not having to quit Netflix every hour or two.

1 posts since
Apr 9, 2011
Apr 9, 2011 1:33 PM in response to: MRNICKT

I fixed my problem!!

This is what was happening to me.  When I first downloaded NetFlix onto my Wii I found that every time I wanted to watch something on NetFlix I could not get the Wii to connect to the Internet.  I use a Linksys WRT54GR wireless router and have had no problems with connecting any other wireless devices in my house.  I could get the Wii to connect only by "rebooting" my wireless router every time (unplugging from power and plugging back in).  After doing that I was able to connect.

This got to be annoying so here was the fix that worked for me:  I assigned a Static DHCP IP address to the Wii's MAC address.  This is how I did it:

1. Went to "Internet" settings on the Wii and clicked on the "Console Information" tab.  This gave me the MAC address of the Wii, which I wrote down.
  2. Then I logged onto my Linksys router (standard log in is http://192.168.1.1).  On the "Setup" tab I noted my IP Address Range (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY it looks something like this: 192.168.1.1.150~199).
  3. Then I clicked the "Static DHCP" button.  Under "Assign this IP" I typed a number between 150-199, one that wasn't already assigned to one of the other computers in my house (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY, 156).  (If you click the "DHCP Client Table" button you can see what numbers have already been assigned to other computers/devices in your house so that you don't use one of those numbers.)
  4. In the "To this Mac" column type in the number of your Wii's MAC address you wrote down earlier.  Check the "Enabled" box.  Save the settings.

After doing the above, I've been able to connect every time and haven't lost the connection while watching something on NetFlix.

Hope this helps someone.

GREGDGEORGE 4 posts since
Jan 24, 2013
Jan 24, 2013 2:07 PM in response to: NEWGRAMMY2005

I'm pretty certain setting a Static IP address (and DNS address) is the solution to the problem. I've had this happen for several months and I didn't put it together that it was a new router I bought. I think what's happening is that IP lease must run out and either the Wii or router is trying to renew that IP address. And while it's being renewed, the connection is lost. By making it static instead, there's no need for the DHCP to be involved.

76 posts since
May 29, 2010
May 14, 2011 3:36 PM in response to: MRNICKT

See, this is why I don't get Netflix on my wii. It kinda like messes up your wii. But mabye, just mabye,when we find something to fix

it, I'll think about it. By  what I mean by that is, the disc drive.( I have no idea why it does that.)

L8tr

1 posts since
Aug 19, 2011
Aug 20, 2011 5:13 PM in response to: MRNICKT

I have a similar setup using a Nyko ethernet adapter wired to an IOGEAR GWU627.  To circumvent the disconnecting  problem I did the same fix as

NEWGRAMMY2005 with a few more extra steps.  After assigning the Wii a static IP address under my router settings, I also tweaked the Wii itself.  This entailed going into the Wii's internet connection settings and changing the settings for the wired connection.  I set Auto-Obtain IP Address to No, clicked Advanced Settings, set IP Address to the same one I assigned it under my router settings, set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0, and set Default Router (also known as Default Gateway) to my router's own IP address.  You can find your router's IP address using a computer by typing ipconfig in a command prompt and then hitting enter.  Going back to the Wii settings, I also set Auto-Obtain DNS to No and under Advanced Settings typed in my internet service provider's (ISP) DNS server addresses.  The Primary DNS and Secondary DNS I found by logging into my router and clicking Status then Device Information.  If you can't find your ISP's DNS server addresses, you can use OpenDNS's.  That you can find by looking up OpenDNS in Wikipedia.

After doing this, I've been able to stream as many as three movies back to back without problems.  I only get connection issues if my router is getting overloaded with heavy use but even then the Try Again option works and I don't have to leave the Netflix app.  Hope this helps.

Jan 24, 2013
Jan 24, 2013 2:09 PM in response to: MARINKUS

As I stated above, I'm pretty certain setting a Static IP address (and DNS address) is the solution to the problem. Set the IP address (and DNS) in the Wii console to a static number and it works fine (for me at least.)

FITHEMASTERSWORD 1,458 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
Jan 24, 2013 2:33 PM in response to: GREGDGEORGE

Just a reminder: While it's okay to bump old discussions, users with that white icon are now disabled because of long inactivity. Those users no longer come onto this site, so even with your helpful info, they aren't around to see it.

Jan 24, 2013
Jan 24, 2013 5:26 PM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

No problem, but this thread is what popped up when I did a Google search to help fix my problem. Hopefully it will help someone else too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)