Skip navigation
This discussion is locked

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
189,587 Views 44 Replies Last post: Dec 31, 2010 2:45 PM by NOA_TECH_ZEKE
RSS
1 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 25, 2010 9:09 AM

My wii wont read any discs??

I just got the new Donkey Kong Country for Christmas (woot!), but my Wii isn't reading ANY discs? I put in a disc that I KNOW that works, but with any discs I put in the Wii goes *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep**beep**beep**beep* 

I haven't used my Wii in a couple of months, I just pulled it out from my closet today, so I just noticed the malfunctions..:/

2 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 10:15 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ
Re: My wii wont read any discs??

I'm having a similar problem....

Our wii is usually on it's side and about 3 weeks ago it stopped reading the wii fit Plus game.  The regular wii fit would read, but the Plus would not.  Now that xmas is here we have found many discs not working, they are....

NOT WORKING:

Wii fit plus

club penguin (brand new)

Epic mickey (brand new)

wii sports resort

WORKING:

wii fit

deBlob

chicken shoot

Raving rabbids

Tiger woods

Animal crossing: city folk

Any ideas anyone??????

1 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 10:57 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Same problem here.  Wii worked fine yesterday, the kids got the new Donkey Kong Country for Christmas.  When we tried it it was unable to read and now it won't read any of our discs!!!

2 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 11:08 AM in response to: JDOOLITTLE1

try resetting the wii frist take game out then hold power button for 10 sec till cuts off then wait bout 30-60 sec then turn back on and put a game that worked b4. then take game out and put in a game that didnt work and c what happens

1 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 7:45 PM in response to: JDOOLITTLE1

Me too. Three new games today (Epic Mickey,Super Mario All Stars and Donkey Kong Country), all got cannot read disc errors immediately. I tried older games and they appeared to be working (the startup screens came up) but I didn't go farther that that, I went back to the new ones. Cannot read disc errors again. Later I tried to actually play the older games and after they did boot up they eventually got a disc read error also. I'm not so sure about an update causing the problem because my nephew also got Epic Mickey today and he played it all afternoon. My kids were playing Guitar Hero a few days ago with no issues.

End result:

Older games act like they are going to work but don't.

New games get a disc read error immediately.

Questions...

What are the odds everyones lenses got dirty today?

What are the odds an update caused the issue?

How many others here tried Epic Mickey, Mario All Stars or Donkey Kong today? - This is the order I tried them in.

Do Nintendo techs monitor this board?

Keep the thread going... maybe we can figure this out. I'll probably try the lens cleaning kit tomorrow if I can find one reasonably priced.

7 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 25, 2010 5:50 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Interesting....  That's why I'm here too.  My family got Kirby's Epic Yarn for Christmas.  Before we could play, it wanted us to update.  We updated it.  We were able to play Kirby after that.  However, later on, we tried to play Kirby and it couldn't read the disc.  We tried other discs and got the same error.  Could it have been the update?

1 posts since
Dec 26, 2010
Dec 26, 2010 9:21 AM in response to: VALKYRE

My Wii was working fine yesterday and last night (Dec 25), but now, morning of Dec 26, I'm getting an error message for all the games I'm trying as well.  Last night we were using Call of Duty and Spore.  what is going on for Christmas with Nintendo?

1 posts since
Dec 26, 2010
Dec 26, 2010 4:58 PM in response to: NAN000

Same thing happen to our family.  It was working fine yesterday (25th) and now today nothing works.  The new games as well as the old ones.  Don't know what to do next.

2 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 26, 2010 2:51 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

I now have a repair order in with NIntendo.

I am sending my console in to be fixed (for $85 - $75 plus $10 shipping) and it will come back fixed and with a new 1 year warranty.  sadly they had no other good explanantions for the problem.

I will tell you this; we let the machine rest horizontally and away from all other equipment(to help it cool), and tried all the non-working games again.  wii fit plus and wii sports resort are again working, but the 2 new ones - club penguin and epic mickey still don't work.

Not sure if that helps, but thought I would add my 2 cents.

1 posts since
Dec 27, 2010
Apr 21, 2011 6:36 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

I agree too.  Great freakin Christmas present from Nintendo...  My wii worked fine Christmas morning then we tried a couple new disks, starting with Just Dance 2 and now we are getting the error saying to eject disk and turn off power!  Seems like quite a coincidence thate everyone's wii is having this problem at the same time...

1 posts since
Dec 27, 2010
Feb 12, 2011 5:54 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

I have the same problem very rarely use the wii got Donkey Kong Returns for Christmas and Minute to Win it  both brand new games and they say disc error, shut off power etc.  Tried an old Jeep Thrills game it booted up didn't try to actually play but it got to where you would start the game.  My nephew got the Donkey Kong Country about 3 weeks ago and had same error won't read disc problem also.  Game plays fine on my father's Wii system but he NEVER performs system updates.  I think that the system updates are the problem  I haven't had to perform any system updates until today when I went to install the Donkey Kong Country Returns game and bingo right after that the game stops working.  If Nintendo screwed everyone's system up with this system update they better figure out really quickly how they are going to fix it because it sucks not to be able to play your new games and I am an adult I can't imagine how disappointed people with kids are right now because of this problem. 

WOODBOY 173 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 27, 2010 4:34 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

try the lens cleaning kit  check if it is scrached if it was used contact the store about it

2 posts since
Dec 27, 2010
Dec 27, 2010 6:59 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

We have the same problem here. We use Wii very often without problems. My kids got Call of Duty Black Ops and Donkey Kong Country Return for Xmas and we have been asked to do the update after that nothing is working not even the old games.

1 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Dec 31, 2010 2:19 PM in response to: MAJOSE

My son wanted Black Ops so bad for Christmas. It has been working fine for the past 5 days. Today it starts to load shows Activision and the other thing looks like it is goin to play then stops and says disc error turn it off and consult manual. Some of our other games will work sometimes and sometimes they wont. This is crazy. It has to be something with the software for this many people to be experiencing the same EXACT problem. My son is so upset! As am I! I plan on goin to facebook and everywhere else to spread the word of this! They need to a new system update or whatever to fix this. Is this a scam to get us all to send in our Wiis for repair????pfffftttttttttttttt

[Removed location - Please don't post any personal information including name, gender, age, location, etc, thank you -Zeke]

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_ZEKE

1 posts since
Dec 27, 2010
Dec 27, 2010 7:45 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Our system has encountered the same problem. All games worked fine UNTIL we got our system online and received an upgrade. I tried the cleaner but that did not work. The instructions for the cleaner says the disc panel will show a question mark when cleaner is inserted-didn't see ? indicated. With so many people having this problem occur in just one or two days it would seem the upgrade is the cause.

2 posts since
Dec 28, 2010
Dec 28, 2010 7:07 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Same here, after the update after trying to play the new Kirby.  Come on Nintendo this needs to be fixed ASAP!  Dont even think I am paying for you to undo this botched field update.  I'll throw it all in the garbage before that happens.  Re-issue the update now!  At the very least roll us back a version until you figure out why your QA department let this out the door.

1 posts since
Dec 28, 2010
Dec 28, 2010 11:50 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

so glad I found this, I to am having problems.  wii worked fine even worked with the new Donkey Kong till today now no new games work, my sister has wii play and won't work in her console or mine def. not a 'dirty lens' issue.

1 posts since
Dec 28, 2010
Dec 28, 2010 1:42 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

We have had our wii since they first came out... got the boys Donkey Kong and Tony Hawk Shred for Christmas... wii wouldn't read either... put in the DK and it went straight to the update... now the DK works...BUT ONLY  if you take it out and put it in few times... but the Tony Hawk won't be read... HELP.... this was my sons main xmas present....

2 posts since
Dec 26, 2010
Dec 28, 2010 2:06 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

My son received Epic Mickey for Christmas and after we did the update (first time), it was unresponsive and he couldn't play it. We rented the same game from Blockbuster and had the exact same problem. Took the Christmas game over to my sister in-law's house and it worked fine in their Wii!. We could play Tron (another Blockbuster rental) fine and every other game in our Wii. Called Nintendo twice and also Disney Interactive. Nintendo said  we could send the console in for repair. etc.($85.00) We took the Epic Mickey back to Costco and my son chose Kirby Epic Yarn (title?).. That has worked great and he loves it. I don't think there is anything wrong with our Wii, but something to do with the system update too as we have never had to do that on another game or had a problem with our Wii.

1 posts since
Dec 28, 2010
Dec 28, 2010 2:16 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

My wii is also having problems. I put in Goldeneye and that doesnt work, and I put in Call of duty Black ops and that one doesnt work either.

I dont know if this has to do with the updates or what, but it seems like its been happening to a lot of people

1 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 29, 2010 10:04 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Exact same problem. Wii working fine the week before Christmas, numerous titles including Wii Fit Plus and Mario Karts. Wii not used for a week while out of town for Christmas. Got Epic Mickey, returned home after Christmas. Had to update to run Epic Mickey. Now NO DISKS WORK, NONE, ZERO, NADA. Can anyone say "Botched Update"? Rather silly for Nintendo to ask for $75 to repair a system they hosed with a bad firmware/software update.

Any Nintendo folks actually read this forum????

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 29, 2010 10:19 PM in response to: DADDYMAN

Same here,  bought call of duty black ops after christmas,  was workin fine till today, mid play in multiplayer screen starts tearing and then i get the "disk cannot be read error"  now it wont work,  im currently testing my other games out,  they arnt working either,,  FOR SOME REASON medal of honor heroes 2 works,   i played it for a few min and everything, so it cant possibly be a hardware issue then right?

i mean COD is a brand new disc not one scratch and ive had MOH for like over a year now and its not to clean itself lol

hopefull its just a problem with the software update cuz i cant afford to repair

1 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 5:22 AM in response to: DARQUA

This is a huge problem. The same happened to me, i got black ops for christmas the first day worked well but then the second day had the same error as you guys. So i read this and i thought it might be the new update thing, so i erased all my wii data and the problem still happens. So botton line, does any nintendo guy even read this forum? i live in dominican republic so i cant send my wii to nintendo, what can i do? If some of you got it fixed tell me please how to fix it

Worst Christmas ever

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 9:36 AM in response to: MAX13

start calling customer service and let em know that this is a issue i suppose,   and that its happening all over and not just something u need to repair

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 12:13 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Please make sure to follow the troubleshooting steps on this page (click here.) Unfortunately, this issue may require a repair from Nintendo if any of the steps listed on that page do not work.

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 2:58 PM in response to: MARIO

sigh... typical corporate line.  did you even read the posts?  what does nintendo just want everyone to send in wii's at once to "repair" them for a cash boost or something

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 3:01 PM in response to: DARQUA

I mean honestly lets just look at the evidence presented.  either a bunch of people are conspiring to say they have the exact same problem and are coming to this forum posting it within hours of each other,   or somehow magically a bunch of people's wii's that they bought at different times are all goin bad in the exact same time period (this is the official explanation apparently)  or its a issue triggered by a software update and as such its nothing wrong with our hardware.

i really hope its the last one.

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 3:23 PM in response to: DARQUA

I do not work for Nintendo, but if all troubleshooting tips have been exhausted and game discs still do not play, the only suggestion I have left would be to contact Nintendo for further help or to set up a repair.

7 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 3:45 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Well, my lens cleaner came via UPS from Nintendo today.  Just as I suspected, it didn't help.  I'm not going to send in my console for repair when it seems that Nintendo's update is the problem.  How do we get them to acknowledge this?  How do we get them to send out a patch?  Is there any way to remove the update so I can play the new games we got for Christmas?  And the old games that used to play fine?

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 4:26 PM in response to: VALKYRE

So i talked to a customer service and repair rep and had him look up this thread to see about it,  he said it was the first time he was hearing of the issue but admitted it might be a possibility that it is software causing problems if at any point u ever aborted a update part way through.   he said after the call finished he would show his superiors the thread and alert them to a possible issue so maybe we will get some development soon.

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 4:27 PM in response to: VALKYRE

yeah same here, got a disc cleaner, no help at all,  medel oh honor still plays fine tho,  thats the only operable wii game at the moment lol 

so that is reassuring me that the disc drive isnt shot

1 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 4:36 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Add me to the list of people with the same problem.  Our Wii worked fine up until Christmas Day when we started trying to play some of the new games.  Donkey Kong Country Returns was one of them.  I know that one required a system updated to play.

My parent's Wii also had the same type of problem playing a new game today when we were over there. 

In our case it seems like the games we just got - including some older titles like Lego Star Wars - are the ones we can't play.  It's kind of like our registry is frozen or something along those lines.  We can play games we have played before the system update but have problems if we put any new games in.  After a new game has been put in though then even the older ones don't work.

I agree that it is too coincidental that so many people are having the same issues at the same time.  If it wasn't for the fact that my parents - who rarely play theirs - are having the same problem, I would have thought that the problem was with my Wii.  Knowing that they just got the same problem and seeing so may others on here with the same issue, I am convinced the problem is related to the latest update.

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 4:49 PM in response to: JETHRO45322

i have found info that it is possible that COD black ops along with some newer games are overclocking the wii disc drive and breaking the laser.  you can see alot of posts like ours on gamefaqs and activisions forums.  basic jist is that COD multiplayer is braking wii's left and right.    No way am i gona pay for this  my wii was fine before i bought COD,  i suggest we all voice our concerns over being made to pay for this defect

7 posts since
Dec 25, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 5:49 PM in response to: DARQUA

Yeah, the game we put in, that called for the update, was Kirby's Epic Yarn.  We are no longer able to play it.  We have yet to play Epic Mickey, since our WIi can no longer read discs.  I sent Nintendo an e-mail informing them that the console worked fine before the update.  And now, after the update, none of our game discs will read anymore.  Old and new.  Whether it's the update that failed, (and no, we did not abort the update at any time), or these new games have overclocked and broken the laser, the problem is with Nintendo and they need to fix it.

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 5:53 PM in response to: VALKYRE

going to bring up the overclocking isue right now and see if i can get it fixed for free maybe

1 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 7:34 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

This is frustrating!!!!  Seems to affect ALL games old and new....old games look like they will load but them come up with "error reading disc".

Hopefully this will be fixed quickly.

10 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Dec 31, 2010 2:28 PM in response to: MAJ_DETH

So I talked to a service rep, i told him that black ops overclocked my wii disc drive and made it so none of my games work anymore,  he set up a repair order free of charge,  just have to mail the wii and COD tomorrow.

1 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 9:10 PM in response to: DARQUA

Same problem to me few days ago.

After my Wii read a new game disc "Naruto Dragon-Chronicals" with a read error message, then all my old game discs can not be read again, except the original Wii Sport game disc. I had this Wii over two years and nothing happened until few days ago. I am not sure if the Wii tech will repair my old Wii. It's not fair to old Wii since the root cause is the Nintendo new game disc incompatible and affect the old Wii console.

1 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 8:40 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

This is garbage... i was in the middle of a tdm game on black ops and all of a sudden i get this error that reads error occurred. press the eject button and remove the disc. turn power off and follow the instructions in console manual.. which i did and now none of my games will even try to read. ive had black ops sence it was released and never had this problem and seems like everyone is having this problem at once.. all my wii chanels work so idk if its the disc drive or wat. and of course this has to happen at 10:30 at night and tomarrow be new years eve so nintendo will prob be closed till monday.. my question is how long does it take to get your wii back once you send it in for repair... i think i need a free t-shirt, keychain, coozy, a hat, and maybe some stickers for my troubles.. as do the rest of the wii owners having the same problem... ps3 sounds better everyday, get a grip nintendo, lock it down... or im out.. whos with me?

2 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Dec 30, 2010 10:09 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

samething going on with our wii system . was playing black ops online then a error message came up and now none of the game will read .

1 posts since
Dec 31, 2010
Dec 31, 2010 10:16 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Same problem with Tony Hawk Shred.  Downloaded the update, disk worked for a few days, now will always stop reading after a couple minutes.  I just did an exchange at BestBuy for a brand new disk.  Same problem.  Every other WII disk we have still works.

1 posts since
Dec 31, 2010
Dec 31, 2010 11:17 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Same issue with my Wii,  put in a new game on Christmas, worked fine for 2 days. It did do an update and now it will not read any of our games.

Nintendo needs to fix this. Now they want me to send it in for 85 bucks. WHAT A SCAM!!  **

When someone finds the fix please let us all know as for now a broken Wii.  PS3 here we come!

1 posts since
Dec 31, 2010
Dec 31, 2010 11:21 AM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

I began experiencing the same problem. My wii was working fine yesterday, just put in Wii Party and get the error message:

An error has occured. Press the eject button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii console off and refer to the Wii operations manual for help troubleshooting.

The manual asks for the number of the error message but I do not get any numbers with it. We updated the console on Christmas day, could this be the issue?

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Dec 31, 2010 12:57 PM in response to: 4CJP

This page (click here) has specific troubleshooting tips for this error.

NOA_TECH_ZEKE 130 posts since
Mar 31, 2010
Dec 31, 2010 2:45 PM in response to: ASHLEYJJ

Hello,

I understand everyone's frustration, especially given the time of year when many of us are receiving new games for the holidays. I'd like to take a moment to let you know that updating your Wii system does not cause the disc drive to stop functioning. That being said, everyone's situaiton is unique, and we'd like the opportunity to discuss the situation with you, and if necessary discuss repair options.

Please contact us at 1-800-255-3700 any day of the week between the hours of 6am and 7pm Pacific time.  Please keep in mind that we will be closed on New Year's day.

While this thread has been productive so far, and a little venting is understandable, it's starting to shift from constructive troubleshooting to raw negativity. In order to keep things on topic and constructive I need to lock this thread at this point. Thank you for understanding.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)