Skip navigation
127,207 Views 58 Replies Last post: Jul 15, 2014 8:50 AM by BIENFOX777
RSS
YOSHIROX25 4 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2011 10:36 AM

3DS Update Problem

I just got a Nintendo 3DS a few hours ago, and am trying to update it. When the system starts to update, it stops and a message comes up saying "An error has occurred. Unable to update. The system will now be restarted." I have deleted then input back in my internet settings 3 times, and still continue to have this problem. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,

YR25

5 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 12:36 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25
Re: 3DS Update Problem

I've Encountered the Same are you running on an ISP controlled WEP Router/Modem? I am. I called up Tech Support about this and that may be the problem... At least that is what they said...

also FYI this error messege as NO error code what so ever.

5 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 4:15 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

evidently there may be a background process in the modem blocking full access...

1 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 1:28 PM in response to: KENSHIRO3

I'm not using an ISP router but still having this problem.

1 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 11:08 PM in response to: KENSHIRO3

I had this problem consistently until I disabled the firewall service on my router. After doing so, the update worked like a charm, and I was able to turn the firewall back on. My router is also an ISP controlled modem/wifi router, but I was able to access it and turn off the firewall by resetting it manually (using the button in the back) and logging in using the default username/password.

I hope this helps someone.

1 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 2:54 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I am having the same problem. I still can't do the update. I thought it was just to many people on the server at first but the error message comes up almost immediately after starting the update. The text is the same as described. I hope nintendo or someone finds a fix for this problem soon.

5 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 4:09 PM in response to: DARNAX

from what the Tech dude told me this MAY be caused by one of the Background Networking issues that this update is suppose to fix. Evidently there are some compatibility problems with some of the network types one of them apparently being ISP controlled Wifi Modems/Routers. Not Sure if WEP security plays any part in these problems or not or not

2 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 5:22 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Ya im having the same problem, im not sure if i have isp related issue or not though, ive also tried connecting through my smartphone hotspot and it still wont work, on a side note do you need to do this update for the shop channel to show up? cuz i dont have it on mine

1 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 5:25 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I am having the same issue as you are.  I've tried connecting to several different access points, including a WiFi hotspot from my AT&T smartphone with no luck.  Some people were saying to try repeatedly, but I've easily tried ten times with the same results.

This is a serious problem that needs resolution.  If nothing else, a better detailed error message would be nice.

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 5:29 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Yeah I'm having the exact same problems as you people here.I called Nintendo and they looked at my router and did a few changes to the settings but nothing worked.the tech guy said that it might be due to alot of people getting the update and to try again at a later time or day so I'll try that but so far I'm unable to update my 3DS I get an error messege and then it takes me back to main menue.

9 posts since
Nov 24, 2010
Mar 27, 2011 5:42 PM in response to: DAVE_2000

i got my system at midnight and did my update about 1 or 2 am with no problems i will say thought it didnt work throught my phones wifi but i have time warner cable and a linksys wrt54g router with web security and had no problems

5 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 7:15 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I got help my modem is an RCA Model DWG855T what i did was tlog in and turn off my firewall protection temporarily. Then i was able to Download... I dont see why this wont work on any other modem as it is a standard setting. So if you have this problem turn your modem firewall off BEFORE updating as it looks like it interferes with it.

3 posts since
May 23, 2010
Mar 27, 2011 9:24 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Same issue here. Weird thing is that I am able to get online on everything else. I've added friends, played Street Fighter online, and other things. But I can't do the system update. Every time I start it, I get that error and it resets.

My Linksys router isn't protected, and it works fine with my computer, Wii, and DSi.

13 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Mar 28, 2011 3:27 PM in response to: SCULLUM

I had the same issue as you did.

Everything worked including my PS3. After reading most of the comments I disabled my firewall settings by accessing the Modem Router settings for my Time Warner Router. And it finally updated. you might wanna try this. Even if you don't have a time warner router. Try accessing your router settings and disabling the firewall. I updated it again. And I get system up to date.

1 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 27, 2011 11:08 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Having the same exact problem since midnight yesterday

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 8:31 AM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Well I tryed updating my Nintendo 3DS this morning since I wasn't able to update it yesterday And the results are still the same everytime I begin the update it trys to update but all I get is the error messege saying an error has accord returning you to the menue or somthing like that with no error code or anything.but funny thing is everytime I run a test to see if i'm connect to the internet with my 3ds it passes the test.Nintendo please resolve this problem.   

4 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 11:36 AM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Mine won't download either. I put my 3DS next to my router and it still won't work. I have a good internet connection and I'm not sure what else to do. I turned off my firewall on my computer but it still dosent work. Any suggestions?

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 12:27 PM in response to: GAMERGURL4

I don't have any new info on how to get the update to work I've done everything from checking my router settings to calling Nintendo but no 1 knows what to do at this point I wouldent worry to much about the update since from what I've heard it's just a 3d video but I will call Nintendo in a few mins to ask them again whats going on and will post my answer here in while...

P.S. your 3ds is not broken, this is a server issue on nintendos end thats causing this problem as far as I can tell.

4 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 1:09 PM in response to: DAVE_2000

Keep us updated thanx

2 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 2:36 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I have also been having the same issue since the purchase of our 3DS yesterday. I have tried several common solutions. None have worked for me.

1 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 2:42 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Is this problem only happening in one prt of the U.S.A?

2 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 3:22 PM in response to: GMAN776

Im having the same problem since yesterday, and im from Mexico (not only a USA problem i guess)

13 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Mar 28, 2011 3:35 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Try to disable the firewall from the router settings. This worked for me.

2 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 3:54 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I too am having the same problem. I tried changing my wireless settings like wep, wpa, and unsecured. Also tried turning off the firewall and even reset my router/modem, still have the same problem. I pretty much killed the 3DS battery today just trying to get it to update. Emailed Nintendo yesterday, still no response. I havnt been able to try to update on another network, hoping that will work, if not it must be something on Nintendos end. Being able to update from the Wii would be a nice idea, already downloaded my Miis from my Wii. If I find something that works ill let you all know.

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 4:56 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Okay so I've called Nintendo *again* and they have no answers for me...this is Unacceptable I for 1 would like to know why Nintendo has no answers to this problem I've tryed everything I even went to some places that have hotspots but I couldn't use the internet due to low signals.

3 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 4:39 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I just wanted to chime in and say I have the same problem with both of our 3DS's (mine and my wife's). Anyone come up with a solution yet? Or is it just overwhelmed update servers?

2 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 4:48 PM in response to: MISTERINVIZ1

i hope its because of the servers... ive had the problem since yesterday and im getting preocupied, and ive reconfigured my routed several times and its not that at least for me (on the same router i can connect my wii).

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 5:08 PM in response to: MISTERINVIZ1

Man I hope this doesn't sound bad or anything but I'm kinda glad to hear that you got 2 3DS consoles at home with the update download error coming up since I've been trying to see if there where people with 2 3DS'S in their home not downloading the update and giving error messeges when trying to.this just let's me know that this is a Network problem and it's not the 3DS console being broken.unfortunately there is no real way to fix this problem yet.I'm going to a freinds house tomorrow evening to try downloading the update there*wish me luck*.I called Nintendo 2 times today already about this problem and they wanted me to send in my 3DS for repair and I refused that since it's not broken and the wait for the box and then the return proccess can take about a month I'm not waiting that long since I just got this 3DS on sunday.but all in all this should not be happening.

3 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Apr 1, 2011 3:01 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25
3 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 5:10 PM in response to: MISTERINVIZ1

And once I finished the update, I could connect to check for updates again with an automatically configured IP address.

19 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 6:01 PM in response to: MISTERINVIZ1

Doesn't really help if we don't know how to get to the utilities of our router. Such is the case with my Time Warner router.  I cannot find out how to get into the router's website.

5 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 6:20 PM in response to: MISTERINVIZ1

Thanks for providing detailed instructions for what i told everyone to do It works people this is what i told EVERYONE to do earlier... To add to this. if its an ISP Controlled Router/Modem try using the pasword "admin" no leave the user area blank. BTW My Modem/Router Model is not listed even in the additional models

19 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 6:21 PM in response to: KENSHIRO3

Again, doesn't help if we can't get into our router settings.

1 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Mar 29, 2011 9:08 AM in response to: MISTERINVIZ1

I just felt the need to chip in, in case my fix helps someone else. A good portion of the help offered from that site is un-needed for some people. I was getting ready to add my 3DS to the DMZ list, since the Firewall in my router is not as simple as "Turn off/On", but all I had to do was Disable QoS.

If you have QoS enabled, try to disable it first before you do the other stuff that takes more time. Me, I like starting with the easier to check things. Good luck everyone!

1 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 5:15 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

HELP!!!

I really want to update my 3ds. I was able to do it to my dsi but I can't now. I really want to update it .                                         

2 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 6:11 PM in response to: ORIGAMIAJ

I contacted Nintendo. I Have a cisco E1000 router he had me manually input the dns as 008.008.008.008 in the network configuration in the 3ds. It solved the issue. Hope this helps some of you.

2 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 6:17 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I can't figure out how to disable my SPI Firewall I use a comcast netgear router and I can't find the option to disable the firewall please help I want the update

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 7:17 PM in response to: XIAO_KE

Sorry bro but Netgear does not allow us to disable the firewall nor does your Isp.I should know I Just tryed it also,I even Called Nintendo and spoke to a advanced rep that goes into your router to try and solve the issue and he wasn't able to do it and I also Have a Netgear router/modem the last so now I have 2 new options I can go to my Friends house tomorrow and try updating on his Internet and if that fails I can send my 3DS to Nintendo and they said they will update it for me.

I'm Sooooooo Depressed right now

4 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 28, 2011 7:23 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I just called Nintendo and the technician was very nice and helpful. He solved my problem and my 3ds is now updated . I suggest you follow the instructions Nintendo posted or if it's too confusing (like it was to me) call Nintendo and they'll go into your router and do it for u. Hope this helps!!!! 

6 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Mar 29, 2011 4:28 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

can someone tell me what nintendos number is?

ONE-OF-THREE 6,034 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Mar 29, 2011 4:40 PM in response to: ZENHAKU

ZENHAKU  wrote:

can someone tell me what nintendos number is?

1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday)

6 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Mar 29, 2011 4:44 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

thanks ONE-OF-THREE

6 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Mar 29, 2011 4:47 PM in response to: ZENHAKU

Do they have an email?

ONE-OF-THREE 6,034 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Mar 29, 2011 4:58 PM in response to: ZENHAKU

ZENHAKU  wrote:

Do they have an email?

Yes, you can use their webform to email them.

6 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Mar 29, 2011 6:26 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

thanks ONE-OF-THREE. you have been such a big help. i will call nintendo 2maro and hopefully update my 3ds.

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 29, 2011 7:22 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I'm happy to say I found the problem and if you still need answer on how to update your 3DS read this....I use Time Warner Cable as my internet provider and they gave me a NetGear wireless Gateway router.Well I called Nintendo (Again) and spoke to a rep who figured out the issue since he said he had dealt with issue alot now and said that if your using a gateway Router like netgear thats where all the problems are since you can't controll the settings or firewall on it since they have been removed by netgear it blocks the update...so the simple solution is this,I called TWC and told them to come get their netgear gateway router and just give me a modem and I'll go buy a Lynksys wireless router 4ports.and Nintendo tech guy said that this will solve the problems since I will have complete control over my router that way.try it out people I hope this helps.

6 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Mar 29, 2011 9:05 PM in response to: DAVE_2000

DAVE_2000 this mite frustrate you since you bought a new router but for the rest of us, set your MTU value to 1500. to get there change your internet settings by selecting your connection. then hit change settings and scroll rite ONCE. there u wil c MTU value. it shud b 1400 by defalt

19 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 30, 2011 3:12 PM in response to: DAVE_2000

Can't necessarily do that atm since the linksys are rather expensive. Anything else that we can do (I have the same problem as you; Time Warner, save i think they gave me a d-link, and I cannot access the settings).

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 30, 2011 8:27 PM in response to: BACONBOY209971

Well I can't be much Help at the moment since I have'nt installed the new Wireless router yet so I haven't even tryed updating yet....I found a cheap wireless router for about $39.99 at Target so it's fairly cheap its a Linksys by Cisco model WRT120N I hope it'll do the job.you can get into your router But you won't be able to do the neccesary changes to it, my friend has a D-link also from time warner Cable and he can't do certain thing in it either.but if you buy a router you have more access to it since it isnt isp controlled.

2 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Mar 31, 2011 11:08 AM in response to: YOSHIROX25

I finally got mine to update.i just had to keep trying over and over and then finally I looked down and it said update complete.so maybe the solution is don't give up!

NOA_TECH_ZEKE 130 posts since
Mar 31, 2010
Mar 31, 2011 4:10 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Hello,

We've got some troubleshooting steps available on our support site for exactly what you’re experiencing when trying to update your Nintendo 3DS. Click here to give them a try.

Some of you have already attempted some or all of these troubleshooting steps, and if you're still unable to update your system after completing all of the troubleshooting, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 anytime between 6 AM and 7 PM, Pacific Time, so that we can discuss the situation and explore other options.

One thing you could also try is to update your Nintendo 3DS at another location, such as a friend or family member's house. If you've got a favorite and reliable hotspot you can visit, that would work as well. I realize some of you simply aren't in a position to visit another location. If that's the case, please give us a call.

Thanks!

9 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Mar 31, 2011 8:51 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

finally got my 3DS updated tonight .I went out and got a new wireless router and set it up and then tryied to update my 3DS and I had no problems at all after that.Linksys rocks and Netgear sucks.if you can go out and get a different router I got mine at Target for $39.99.remember that if you got a router from your ISP they got controll over it, so it's better to just buy your own wireless router and just get a modem from your ISP.good luck people I hope you can get your 3DS's updated soon I know how you all feel...

4 posts since
Apr 8, 2011
Apr 8, 2011 8:12 PM in response to: DAVE_2000

Thank you so much Zenhaku! I just got my 3ds today and it was driving me nuts I couldn't update it. Changing the MTU value to 1500 worked like a charm I tried everything else in this thread and none of it worked. I'm in the same boat as Dave, netgear router, time warner isp. I thought I was gonna have to get a new router or send my 3ds in but your trick worked. Thanks again!!!

6 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Apr 9, 2011 10:12 AM in response to: HELLODRJECKYLL

ur welcome hellodrjeckyll. and people hu find this info helpful in the future ur welcome too

GRAVELARK 1 posts since
Dec 9, 2011
Dec 9, 2011 8:27 AM in response to: YOSHIROX25

If I may, I have found one very important and overlooked (by me) factor in successfully updating my brand new 3DS: make sure the time is correctly put in.

I had tried for hours and hours and was about to just throw my modem when I noticed the time on the clock (1:37 a.m.) and the timeo n my 3DS (13:36). Once I changed the time to the correct format, I was so tired and mad at myself, I closed my 3DS. The next morning, it had updated while sleep and all was right in my Nintendo world!

I hope this helps.

DECKERUY 1 posts since
Jul 8, 2014
Jul 8, 2014 12:07 PM in response to: YOSHIROX25

Same problem here... i try to update but always stop and aks to reset the 3ds....

BIENFOX777 1 posts since
Jul 15, 2014
Jul 15, 2014 8:50 AM in response to: DECKERUY

Hello! I had the same problem you had and here is what i found: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_la/ts_internet.jsp

This will help you to do the system update. It worked for me. And make sure that the date and time is accurate.

I tried to update it for like 20 minutes and finaly this helped.

Hope it will help you too!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)