Skip navigation
9,779 Views 16 Replies Last post: May 24, 2011 9:38 PM by DICK8888
RSS
1 posts since
Mar 31, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 31, 2011 2:31 PM

Got my first black screen of death (BSOD), even with latest firmware.

I just got my BSOD while playing Ghost Recon:

First, time the system just shut down, faded to black.

Second time, I got a message saying that I need to reboot the system.

Yes, my 3DS is updated to the latest firmware!

CPM 1,239 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Mar 31, 2011 2:43 PM in response to: MANICDEVLIN
Re: Got my first black screen of death (BSOD), even with latest firmware.

press and hold the power button until it turns off then turn it back on if that does not work then you will have to get it repaired.

1 posts since
Apr 1, 2011
Apr 1, 2011 3:33 PM in response to: CPM

I too experienced the same BSOD issue with Ghost Recon (yes the firmware is up-to-date).  I'm a little confused with the solution.  Are you saying that if we continue to receive a BSOD we need to get the unit repaired, or that if the reboot of the unit does not work?

CPM 1,239 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 1, 2011 6:55 PM in response to: ELKHORN

if the reboot does not work.

2 posts since
Apr 1, 2011
Apr 1, 2011 9:15 PM in response to: CPM

I've gotten the BSOD 3 times today all while playing Ghost Recon. The last two were 5 minutes apart about 10 minutes ago.

I'm also a little confused about when I should sign up for repair service. Is my system bad or will this be something that can be fixed with a firmware update?

I have a black 3DS with the latest OK GO update. 

BRANDOS12 219 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 2, 2011 11:21 PM in response to: DOOMAPE

If this problem only happens with Ghost Recon, then I don't think this is an issue that has a repair.  Many other people are having the same problem with this game, so I think it is just a problem with the game, not the Nintendo 3DS (I just learned this happens to other games too).  However, some people have found that if you turn off the wireless of your Nintendo 3DS, you will not get the BSOD.  Maybe a future update will fix this issue, since the current update does not.

Message was edited by: BRANDOS12

11 posts since
Apr 10, 2010
Apr 2, 2011 6:05 PM in response to: BRANDOS12

I've extensively tested on two 3DS' with issues, and found errors extending to other games -- Shadow Wars, Dinosaurs 3D, Super Monkey Ball, and, once, Super Street Fighter IV.

BRANDOS12 219 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 2, 2011 11:19 PM in response to: MACKORMOSES

Oh..maybe it does have to do with the 3DS. Hopefully Nintendo will release an update that fixes this issue.

6 posts since
Apr 2, 2011
Apr 2, 2011 9:17 PM in response to: MANICDEVLIN

I've had this happen to me 3 times while playing The Sims and after the update. 2 of those times it was 15 minutes apart. I was able to restart the 3ds each time which is good, its just worrying since I spent alot on this thing and don't want it to turn into a $250 brick. I really hope they get another update to us soon, so I never have to see that message again.

2 posts since
Apr 3, 2011
Apr 3, 2011 7:42 AM in response to: MANICDEVLIN

For those of you that have a spare, try using a different SD card with the 3DS.  It won't solve every problem but I've heard it really helps.

6 posts since
Apr 2, 2011
Apr 3, 2011 10:40 AM in response to: J RYOSHI

What is getting saved on the SD card? I know pictures are, but are games saves as well? or are the game saves being saved on the game cartridge? As soon as I got the 3DS, I swapped out the 2 Gig that came with it for a 8 Gig.

20 posts since
Apr 23, 2011
May 5, 2011 4:21 PM in response to: FOOLMAN.

Just various files that the 3DS uses, I think maybe save data for the installed apps.

But I recall somewhere that the problem might be that some SD cards were formatted wrong when packaged with the system and I've read that people have formatted their SD cards to FAT32 to fix the error.

It wouldn't hurt to try.

4 posts since
Apr 5, 2011
Apr 5, 2011 9:01 AM in response to: MANICDEVLIN

Ive gotten it 3 times now while playing Ghost Recon... truly irritating especially for a time consuming turn based game like Ghost Recon, and I also have the latest (only) update...who doesnt. This problem was featured on Yahoo the other day, it is widespread and should be dealt with or at the very least explained by Nintendo. The next system update is scheduled for the end of May (internet browser and eshop)? Im not 100% on that date but if its going to take that long to fix this problem I am going to be very disappointed for having to shy people away from an otherwise stellar gaming device.

1 posts since
May 5, 2011
May 5, 2011 2:12 PM in response to: MANICDEVLIN

My BSOD happened on my DSi XL while I was playing Sims 3.  At least I this is what I would call it.  The DS wouldn't respond to anything, not even turn off.  I was ready to return it to the store, but finally the battery charge ran down, and the next morning I was able to recharge it and it seemed normal.  I am afraid to try the Sims 3 game in it again.  Anybody else have this exact problem?

5 posts since
May 23, 2011
May 24, 2011 12:04 AM in response to: MANICDEVLIN

Today, I got first black screen of death with Ver 1.1.0-1U. After press and hold the power button until it turns off then turn it back on, my 3DS is working normal. But spotpass said update firmware 1.1.0-1U ( 27 March), while firmware my 3DS is Ver 1.1.0-1U. I don't understand, but my 3DS work normally after the incident. And Now i play low battery and not problem.

42 posts since
Apr 27, 2011
May 24, 2011 7:41 AM in response to: MANICDEVLIN

I've heard that Ghost recon does this alot.

5 posts since
May 23, 2011
May 24, 2011 9:38 PM in response to: UNAVAILIBLE

No, i don't play Ghost recon, i hit black screen when open setting. And since then my 3DS run normal

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)