Skip navigation
13,803 Views 17 Replies Last post: May 27, 2011 8:21 AM by DOLOME
RSS
1 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2011 8:13 AM

Is this normal? 3DS turns itself off while in Sleep mode.

I often put my 3DS in sleep mode while I walk around with it throughout the day.

However, I have noticed that after a couple of hours of it in sleep mode,

it will shut off.

Is this normal?

And how am I supposed to take full advantage of StreetPass if

it shuts itself down after about 3 hours of it in sleep mode?

Thank you

38 posts since
Apr 7, 2011
Apr 15, 2011 10:32 AM in response to: WEBOU
Re: Is this normal? 3DS turns itself off while in Sleep mode.

When you put your 3Ds in sleep mode, it should stay on, that way the streetpass can work. Your problem might be a software issue, you could try sending it in for repairs.

Hopes this helps!

IHAVEZMYBIRDO 71 posts since
Jun 5, 2010
Apr 16, 2011 8:54 PM in response to: GAMER360

I'm just gonna take a guess and say that the battery's died.

DSI'S 414 posts since
May 8, 2010
Apr 16, 2011 9:50 PM in response to: IHAVEZMYBIRDO

The battery is supposed to stay charged for a long time in sleep mode. One time I had mine in sleep mode a whole day and I played it for about an hour and the battery light was still blue at the end of the day. It might be a problem with your battery or something, I recommend contacting Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 so they can help you solve the problem.

IHAVEZMYBIRDO 71 posts since
Jun 5, 2010
Apr 16, 2011 9:53 PM in response to: DSI'S

But still. To hear that the 3DS has a pretty low battery life, that was all I could assume. But it could be the battery too.

DSI'S 414 posts since
May 8, 2010
Apr 16, 2011 9:58 PM in response to: IHAVEZMYBIRDO

The battery life is 3-5 hours in 3d mode, but it lasts way longer in sleep mode.

3 posts since
Apr 17, 2011
Apr 17, 2011 9:57 AM in response to: WEBOU

If the battery is fully charged, it should last a few days on a single charge in sleep mode. Do you have Power Saver mode enabled? You can check by tapping the brightness icon in the upper left corner of the bottom screen on the Home Menu. I'm not sure if that'd affect it. Make sure that's off and see if it helps. If not, you should give Nintendo Support a call.

MONKEYCHEESE 116 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Apr 17, 2011 7:09 PM in response to: .NIOS.

Power Save mode only tweaks the graphics a bit to make it consume less energy. Therefore, it does not change during Sleep Mode.

1 posts since
Apr 18, 2011
Apr 18, 2011 3:32 PM in response to: WEBOU

One of my friends was having the same problem when it would shut off during sleep mode, and I found it really weird.

Now I'm starting to have this problem too.  It was working fine until a day or two ago and now if I leave it in sleep mode, it has this occasional problem of shutting itself down within a few minutes. *looks at her 3DS*  Like right now.  It was just glowing blue in sleep mode right when I started writing this post.

I dont think it's a battery issue because mine is fully charge.  Might wanna just call up Nintendo support and see what's wrong with it.  If I figure out the cause, I'll let you know too.

1 posts since
Apr 29, 2011
Apr 29, 2011 6:54 AM in response to: WEBOU

I'm having the same problem. I put it on sleep mode, the blue light is on.  Then when I try to play it the next day or two days later it's completely off. When I turn my 3DS on the battery is full.

1 posts since
May 14, 2011
May 14, 2011 4:39 AM in response to: WEBOU

I am having the same problem as well. My battery is fully charged, but sometimes it turns off in sleep mode. Could it be some weird software bug that they could fix in a update?

1 posts since
May 20, 2011
May 20, 2011 11:56 AM in response to: WEBOU

I have the same problem. I contacted Nintendo, and I sent my 3DS in for a repair. They sent it back saying it was repaired.

That night, it did the same thing. I sent it back in for repair, and this time, they wanted me to send in all the games I had played on it, so I did. I got my repair back this week, and it's a new system. They also packed in a letter saying that they were unable to replicate the issue. My new system is doing the exact same thing. Since they were unable to replaicate the issue, I see no reason to even contact them again. I've been without my 3DS since launch, and can live with the issue unless they fix it in a firmware update. Below are the notes I sent to them with the system each time. It's interesting to note that this only happens if the wireless is turned on.

I even referenced this thread in my notes and they were still unable to replicate the issue even though multiple people are having problems.

Original Repair

If I put my 3DS in sleep mode, it will turn itself off in about 6-7 hours. This happens both when it’s in the cradle and when it’s not.

When I go to bed at night, I’ll put it in the cradle and both the orange charging light and the blue power light are on so I know it’s in sleep mode. I’ve checked it in the middle of the night after it’s done charging, and I see that the orange light is out, and the blue light will remain pulsating so I know it’s still in sleep mode. In the morning, I’ll check on it, and all lights are off. I’ll open the 3DS and I’ll have to hit the power button to turn it back on.

This morning I took it off the charger before I left for work and turned the 3DS on and put it in sleep mode, and left it on my desk. I saw the blue light pulsating so I knew it was in sleep mode. When I came home about 7 hours later, all lights were off. I had to hit the power button again to turn it back on.

In both instances, after turning it back on, I can see that the battery is charged, so it’s not an issue with the battery being drained.

Second Repair

I received my 3DS back from you yesterday. It is still turning  itself off after being in sleep mode for 6-7 hours. However, if I turn  the wireless off, it seems to works fine. I had the idea to turn the  wireless off from noticing that the wireless was turned off when I first  turned it on yesterday. I’m thinking that you turned the wireless off  while repairing it, and then didn’t notice any problem because the  problem only seems to occur with the wireless turned on. I googled this  problem and it seems that some others are having the same issue. Here is  an example from your tech support forums:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/32154

Also,  yesterday I received an error that told me that an error had occurred  and to hold the power button to restart it. I received that error twice  in an hour’s time: Once when going

through the 3DS menus, and once when I took it out of sleep mode. I never received that error before sending it in for repair.

NINTEN000 31 posts since
Apr 27, 2011
May 20, 2011 2:10 PM in response to: WEBOU

I have had a similar problem with my DSi. It would turn off after a few seconds when ever I would turn it on. My solution is to call Nintendo Customer Service at 1-800-255-3700. They repaired it. This might get worse over time so please call soon.   

4 posts since
May 23, 2011
Jun 14, 2012 2:05 PM in response to: WEBOU

Mine does that also... and I'm sick of people saying they have the same issue: I WANT SOMEONE FROM NINTENDO GIVING US SOME ANSWER!!!

Come one Nintendo, this is a very very messy launch. Games are lame, no communication whatsoever regarding all the technicals issue, delays with the updates.

I wanna know if my problem will be resolved with the next update or if I have to contact Nintendo.

I WANT A BLOODY ANSWER

42 posts since
Apr 27, 2011
May 23, 2011 6:58 AM in response to: DOLOME

I've been reading all the posts on this issue, and I'm afraid to say it, but I don't have this problem. If I were you, I would call Nintendo and DEMAND A FULL REPAIR and that they lead and investigation on this issue.

4 posts since
May 23, 2011
May 27, 2011 7:44 AM in response to: UNAVAILIBLE

Once again: remarks about if you have or don't have this problem is irrelevant, I just don't care. What I want is proper support, which means someone from Nintendo answering. I am more than unhappy with Nintendo since the launch of the 3DS, this is the first time since... wow more then 20 years. I feel old now

I have always been satisfied by them, offering real support and overall good devices.

This sucks...

ONE-OF-THREE 6,081 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
May 27, 2011 7:51 AM in response to: DOLOME

DOLOME  wrote:

Once again: remarks about if you have or don't have this problem is irrelevant, I just don't care. What I want is proper support, which means someone from Nintendo answering. I am more than unhappy with Nintendo since the launch of the 3DS, this is the first time since... wow more then 20 years. I feel old now

I have always been satisfied by them, offering real support and overall good devices.

This sucks...

I am truly sorry that you are having problems with your 3DS and your frustration is easily understandable, unfortunately, those that work for Nintendo rarely answer the questions here, it is more that the users try their best to help out as they can, sorry.

So if you want a direct answer from Nintendo, you will likely get a speedier response by calling Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, or use their webform to contact them, and one of their service representatives will be able to help you.

4 posts since
May 23, 2011
May 27, 2011 8:21 AM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

OK, thanks. Sounds weird though that Nintendo's staff doesn't support the... the support forum.

Anyway thanks for your answer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)