Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
63,564 Views 1 Reply Last post: May 2, 2011 10:53 AM by ONE-OF-THREE
RSS
1 posts since
May 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2011 5:07 PM

Wii won't connect to wifi

I've spent the better part of a month trying to get my Wii to connect to the internet.
I've done all of the tutorials, all of the troubleshooting, even checked with my own modem's site and  my ISP site, it refuses to connect.

The system can locate my wifi, but when i enter my security code, I get error 51330. Even when I changed my security settings to open so there was no code needed I still got 51330.

I've tried channel 1 and 11, taken my modem off stealth mode, power cycled, reset.. changed codes several times and nothing works. I'm starting to think the Wii is just simply broken.

It has been connected to a modem, (not this one which is a 2Wire 2701HG) in the past and I remember i did have trouble with that but after following troubleshooting tips, it worked for a yr.

I'm sure there isn't anything left for me to do, but I figure I should check here before  I give up completely.

ONE-OF-THREE 5,646 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
May 2, 2011 10:53 AM in response to: TISH26
Re: Wii won't connect to wifi

Unfortunately it does seem like you have tried all the troubleshooting tips (copy&pasted below) and nothing has been able to correct this, so probably the best thing to do now is give a call to Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number and one of the service representatives will see if they can determine if something was missed and if still no luck, set up a repair if the Wi-Fi has gone out on your console.

Error Code: 51330

Unable to connect to your wireless network

Likely cause: It appears that the security  settings entered into the Wii console are not the same as what your  wireless router is set to allow.

How to fix: Make sure the security key and security type are entered into the Wii exactly as they appear in your router's settings.

Don't know how to find your router's security key?

Let us help! Select the brand of your router below and we'll show you how to access your router's settings.
Linksys      Netgear      DLink
Belkin      Apple      2Wire

Once you have entered the correct WEP or WPA key into your system,  try the connection test again. If the problem persists, keep reading  this page.

Additional information:

• Using an Actiontec or 2Wire router? The default security key is often found on a sticker located on the router.
  • Security keys are case-sensitive.
  • WEP keys contain numbers 0 through 9, and only letters A through F.

Other suggestions:

• Did this connection used to work but has suddenly stopped?  "Power cycle" your router and modem. To do this, unplug both the modem  and the router from the power outlet. Wait a few minutes, and plug the  modem back in. Wait a couple of minutes for the modem to initialize,  then plug in the router. Try to connect the Wii, Nintendo DS, or  Nintendo 3DS online and test for proper response.

• The Wii may have detected and set itself  to the wrong security type during the initial connection set up. Try  creating a new connection file and going through the connection process  again (steps),  but be sure that when the Wii asks for a security code, the type shown  on screen (WEP or WPA) is what your router is set to. If it is  different, try a "Manual Setup."
  • Change your router's channel setting to 1 or 11. By default, most routers broadcast on channel 6, which overlaps with other channels and may be weaker. For help doing this, click here and select your router brand and model (if available). The information you need is found in the "Broadcast Channel:" area.

Still stuck? We can help! We have an  easy-to-follow guide that will walk you through the process of finding  your router's security key. Even if you're sure you've entered the  correct security key, we suggest following our guide to create a  new  connection file and start over. If at the end you still need help,  you'll find contact information to reach our specially-trained  representatives.

If you are still getting this error code after trying the steps above, please call 1-800-255-3700 for further assistance.

Was this information helpful?
Yes
No

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)