Skip navigation
43,766 Views 9 Replies Last post: Dec 26, 2011 11:38 AM by MACADET08
RSS
SUPERSTARFY 83 posts since
Jun 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 9, 2011 1:05 PM

3DS cartridge game save data

What happens when you start a brand new game on a 3ds, for example I come home with a new copy of nintendogs + cats and play it on my 3ds and start the game and everything but then you play it on another 3ds for example again, if my 3ds breaks or I lose it but i still have nintendogs + cats and get a new 3ds or get it repaired would I still have my save data for my cartridge games or would I have to start over?

GARLICANDHERBCROUTONS 813 posts since
Jan 22, 2011
May 9, 2011 1:37 PM in response to: SUPERSTARFY
Re: 3DS cartridge game save data

the saved data is in the 3ds games just like the ds games

26 posts since
Feb 28, 2011
May 9, 2011 1:39 PM in response to: SUPERSTARFY

3DS Game Save data is still stored on the game card itself. Only certain other saves like replay data (for Ridge Racer 3D) or journal data (for Nintendogs+Cats) are stored on the SD card. In other words, none of the game saves or extra data are stored on the system itself. I believe that StreetPass data is stored to the system itself though.

So if you broke your 3DS and needed to replace it with a new one, you should be able to just play the game on that new system with all your saved data intact.

With the launch of the eShop, however, downloadable games will be linked to the system you purchase the game on. There is an option for "System Transfer" in the "Other Settings" within the settings application on the 3DS. That would have the potential to transfer game data content from one 3DS to another. However, it isn't confirmed what it will do so I'm not 100% sure.

GARLICANDHERBCROUTONS 813 posts since
Jan 22, 2011
May 9, 2011 2:41 PM in response to: SUPERSTARFY

No problem and thank YOU for giving me a helpful post.

CAV6FAMILY 1 posts since
Dec 26, 2011
Dec 26, 2011 8:46 AM in response to: GARLICANDHERBCROUTONS

I have 4 children and they each received a 3DS for Christmas.  My daughter received the pink one with the Nintendogs and Cats.  The boys would like to play this game.  Every time they try to play, they always end up with her poodle.  Is there a way that they can each adopt their own pet under their own user?

BEANTOWNSCOOP 2 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
Dec 13, 2011 6:27 AM in response to: SUPERSTARFY

My question is along the same lines, but I basically want to know if there's any way to move a save file from the Ocarina of Time 3DS cartridge to the SD card. Long story short, I borrowed my buddy's 3DS for a trip, got about halfway through Ocarina, thinking I'd just copy the save files over to my own 3DS via SD card like I have with games on the Wii. Now that I've got my own copy of OoT, I tried to find a way to import that game save from his cartridge/SD to my own to no avail. Does anyone have a definitive answer if it is at all possible to retrieve my half completed game from his cartridge/console/SD? THANKS - MUCH APPRECIATED!!

GLACIUSX25 2,038 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Dec 13, 2011 7:35 AM in response to: BEANTOWNSCOOP

BEANTOWNSCOOP  wrote:

My question is along the same lines, but I basically want to know if there's any way to move a save file from the Ocarina of Time 3DS cartridge to the SD card. Long story short, I borrowed my buddy's 3DS for a trip, got about halfway through Ocarina, thinking I'd just copy the save files over to my own 3DS via SD card like I have with games on the Wii. Now that I've got my own copy of OoT, I tried to find a way to import that game save from his cartridge/SD to my own to no avail. Does anyone have a definitive answer if it is at all possible to retrieve my half completed game from his cartridge/console/SD? THANKS - MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Sorry, there is no way to move save data from one game card to another, the save data is stuck on that game.

You'll just have to start over.

BEANTOWNSCOOP 2 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
Dec 13, 2011 1:39 PM in response to: GLACIUSX25

Ouch. Nothing more frustrating than being a little Kokiri boy again.

MACADET08 123 posts since
Dec 4, 2011
Dec 26, 2011 11:38 AM in response to: SUPERSTARFY

Most game progress is saved to the game cartridges themselves. This is good, but it also presents an issue with loaning the game to friends or sharing between siblings. I sorta wish they had an option to save the game to either the system or the card itself.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)