Skip navigation
78,873 Views 35 Replies Last post: Nov 2, 2013 9:04 PM by MGRR
RSS
1 posts since
Jun 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2011 9:25 PM

SD Card not detected

This just started happening when I updated my 3DS. Every time I try to access the eShop, or even the Home menu, I get an error message saying that the system "Could not detect an SD card" and "The software on the SD card could not be displayed". Also, it tells me the portion of my SD card that stores software data is corrupted when I access the eShop and redirects me to data management. I have formatted everything and I still get this error. Please help!

1 posts since
Jun 11, 2011
Jun 11, 2011 7:55 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP
Re: SD Card not detected

I'm having the same issue.

Update went fine.  Downloaded and played excite bike... today I turned it on and couldn't detect the SD Card.

This is the 2GB that ships with the unit.  I put it into my PC and it detected and read all the files just fine... tried 3 different SD cards with the 3ds, couldn't detect any of them.

Pretty sure this is a software issue and nothing to do with the actual sd card or reader...

1 posts since
Jun 13, 2011
Jun 13, 2011 2:54 PM in response to: XIZORGETSPEED

I have exactly same problem! So sad = (

1 posts since
Jun 15, 2011
Jun 15, 2011 6:11 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

The same issue has been happening to me for the last few days. It has to be a software issue. I see something appear then dissapear from the spot that Link's Awakening DX is in for half a second and it says how many blocks are available on the SD card in the data management section. I cannot access the eshop anymore either. I really hope that this is fixed soon.

1 posts since
Jun 16, 2011
Jun 16, 2011 8:30 PM in response to: IXAAN13

I'm also having similar issues. At first I was trying to get my music to play and I stayed well within the guidelines of the music application, and I kept getting "cannot play" message. So I exited the app back onto the HOME screen and I get a notification saying SD Not Detected, Software Not Availble. What's going on with this? I actually managed to get my music to play. I deleted all my songs off and added 3 songs, one AAC, one MP3, and one iTunes purchased AAC. All played and then I got an error that sent me back to the Home Screen. Nintendo can you please look into this, I plan on buying Zelda and Starfox when they come out, I don't want these issues possibly messing up other files. We can't be the only one's having these issues.

DIVER24 400 posts since
Jun 16, 2011
Jun 16, 2011 8:48 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

Hmm... try checking to see if the SD card is inserted correctly. It could also be that something is in the SD card slot. Also, try not touching the shiny part on the SD card. One more thing, check if the SD card's tiny switch is up/down. This controls whether the system alows saving into the SD card. 

2 posts since
Jun 20, 2011
Jun 20, 2011 5:32 PM in response to: DIVER24

The SD card (in my case, anyway) is entered correctly and the lcok switch is in the unlocked position. I actually tried changing it, but when I did I had a message saying something like the write-protection was activated and I couldn't save things to the card, and then the usual could not detect SD card appeared.

In fact, it is possible to access the eShop when it is in the "locked" position, but it's still impossible to download apps from the shop.

3 posts since
Oct 29, 2010
Jun 29, 2011 10:38 AM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

I'm having the same problem now - the 3DS refuses to recognize any SD card I put into it. This is a brand new 3DS, only got it about a week and a half ago, and now I can't access any of my downloaded apps from the eShop, nor save files for games (I'm missing out on Dead or Alive's new daily DLC). What's going on here Nintendo? It never did this before the last update.

2 posts since
Jun 20, 2011
Jul 4, 2011 1:20 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

UPDATE: I've tried showing it to a clerk at the store in which I bought it, and he tried (in front of me) to put it in the Wii behind the counter to see if perhaps the card was corrupted. The Wii had no problems reading it, and so it isn't.

I've also tried putting a SD card with pictures on it (taken from a camera) but it didn't work either. Since I'd rather get this solved by june 7th for the free Excitebike(which i know is improbable) I've sent an e-mail to nintendo describing the problem and referring whoever reads the e-mail to this thread.

2 posts since
Jul 4, 2011
Aug 13, 2011 6:43 AM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

You can resolve this issue by updating the software of your device some times it happen when you update any of the program of your computer. then the current setting also changed so for this reason you need to update your software. and then it will be compatabile with your current settings. so upgarding the current software or getting the new software can resolve your issue.I want to introduce my self i am designer and build joomla templates specially.

***Removed links.  Please do not advertise external websites on the tech support forums.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_MIKA

2 posts since
Aug 12, 2011
Aug 12, 2011 1:37 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

I've just bought a 3ds and am having the same problem with both the pre-packaged SD card and one other card I have.

I've not yet been able to find a solution to this issue.

2 posts since
Aug 12, 2011
Oct 4, 2011 10:32 AM in response to: YECORRUPTOR

So, still no answers on here? I can see a few other people with the same problem, and more still with simply bad SD cards.

But since it's not every time for me, and it's not sometimes for everyone, I'm going to assume it's a hardware issue instead. Good thing I'm still under Ninendo's warranty.

2 posts since
Aug 12, 2011
Aug 12, 2011 6:08 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

I'd like to report that I am also having this issue. I bought this 3DS new hours ago. I performed the system update 1st thing. I then went to the Nintendo eShop and downloaded Netflix. After that was complete, I attempted to download the next application. I can't recall what it is called, and I can't get back into the eShop to check. When I chose it for download, I got message telling me that it "Could not detect an SD Card" and dumped me back to the Home menu. Every time I start the 3DS, I get this message:

"Could not detect an SD Card.

The software on the SD Card could not be displayed"

When I attempt to enter the eShop, this appears:

"The area of the SD Card used for saving software is corrupted.

Please recover the SD Card save area by using Data Management in the System Settings.

You will now be taken to Data Management."

Pressing OK takes me to data management which then declares:

"Could not detect an SD Card"

Note that this is different from the "No SD Card Found" message, which is what appears when you go to this screen without an SD card in the slot.

I am using the original SD card which came with the system and did not remove it until these messages started appearing.

When I remove the SD card and insert it into my PC, the card is not detected at all. Other SD cards are detected normally in my PC.

When I insert another SD card, it is detected normally. I don't want to attempt downloading anything to this other SD card for fear of the 3DS killing it like the other one.

Any information on this issue would be helpful.

Any help or insight in restoring this now seemingly dead SD card would also be appreciated.

1 posts since
Aug 13, 2011
Aug 13, 2011 8:54 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

I am having this same issue.  I just bought this thing yesterday, did a system update and now it's telling me "card is write protected, can't access any software on the sd card"...i've re-formatted, made sure the card is unlocked, etc.  I've tried fresh SD cards and nothing...this thing is pretty much a paper weight as of right now.

116 posts since
Jul 28, 2011
Aug 14, 2011 9:06 PM in response to: SHELLYMEE

My best solution would be to either send back the SD card to nintendo for a new one. or buy a new one. after you get a new card drag and drop all of the data to your PC (from the old damaged card) insert the new card into your pc and then drag and drop the data onto the new card. it sounds like from the amount of people this is happening to that nintendo might have sent out some faulty cards with their 3DS's if this helps let me know

Cheers

2 posts since
Aug 12, 2011
Aug 15, 2011 11:16 PM in response to: KEIRASDADA

I went and bought a new card, which is working just fine. The old one is completely borked, though. My PC is not recognizing it at all. Oh well, 2gb SD card isn't a huge loss, mainly annoying.

DIORGOR 1 posts since
Dec 6, 2011
Dec 6, 2011 8:25 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

I bought a 3ds last weekend and I am having the same problem that you had. My problem isn´t constant. When I took to the shop were I bought it worked!!! When I came home to play PES 2011 the 3ds wasn't able to read the SD card. It's a problem caused by the actualization of the Software? There some way to reverse this problem?

please help!!!

SKULBUSKET 1 posts since
Feb 15, 2012
Feb 15, 2012 9:55 AM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

Hi all. So i had the same problem last night and of course i did what everyone else did: I copied the error and put it into Google. The first thing that comes up is this forum. Even thought its old, sadly there was no real fix here so i spent the next 3+ hours figguring it out for myself.

Long story short: it has to do with the way the card formated (partitioned really). Some places may have done it worng at the factory or maybe something went wrong when you were messing with it at one time.

There are a few way to partion storage media. In order for the 3ds to read the card it must be partioned PRIMARY.

The problem is, if you used it for something else and/or it wiped clean it will most likely now be a LOGICAL partition.

(you may find this problem comes up with anything that uses memory sticks/cards like radios ect)

Thats all fine and well and i'm talking tech gibberish... on with the show.

Ok here is the first thing to check.

Windows 7 (and probably vista) -

First it will make it easier if you know what drive letter the card is. Open explorer look at the list of your drives. Pop the card in and see what drive letter gets added. If you missed it, put it out and do it again until you figgure out which one it is and how big it is (lets say its 8gig).

01. Put your memory card into you computer.

02. Wait for it to read

03. Ignore anything that pops up

04. Go to My Computer / Computer

05. Right click

06. Choose Manage

07. Fine the thing that says Storage

08. Choose Disk Management

09. Look up in the list there will be a bunch of drives up there

10. Your disk/card will be listed up there it will probably be something like E or F

12. File Type needs to be Fat (16 or 32)

13. Status needs to say (healthy primary partition)

if it does NOT say both of those (12&13), well you know what the problem is.

Thats great but how do i fix it?

Follow the directions on THIS web page up to #12.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

A. After #12 you can pull the card out and put it back in your computer.

B. You will be promted with something like "hey this needs to be formatted"

C. click yes

D. give it a name, make sure its fat (32 if its over 2gigs)

E. make sure quick format is selected (or you will be there for a while)

F. hit ok and it will do its thing.

G. when all is said and done to double check all is well go back to the beginning of the post here and follow the steps again.

H. This time #12 & #13 should match what you have.

you can now put it in your 3ds and it should work.

Pop it in and you will not get a warning (sd card not detected).

Pull it back out and it will say "hey, turn off the 3ds before pulling the card out!" lol

Try downloading something free fromt he store, if it appears all is now good in the world again.

To transfer data from your old 2gig card to your new one:

Put in the old card in your coputer and copy the 3ds folder off it to desktop

put in the new (now working card 8gig card) and drag the folder onto it

done

pop it back in 3ds and now your stuff shows up right?

Some things you may run into

if using the second option (CMD)

Run as administrator and using the OVERIDE command.

When you first start:

A. Start menu/type in CMD

B. A little DOS box shows up in the list, right click on it and "run as administrator"

When you do step one of the steps you get something like "the disk is in use"

A. Modify the directions to look like this "Type convert mbr overide and press enter.

You were never propted to format your card

go to explorer right click on it and select "format"

I hope this helps.

MEGAMICHAEL 24 posts since
May 18, 2012
Jun 8, 2012 5:31 PM in response to: SKULBUSKET

Did anyone try what Skulbusket said?

looks like good advise  to me.

MOTORV8R 4 posts since
Aug 17, 2011
Apr 11, 2012 11:28 AM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

I am having the same issue as described by MGSACE1 and others here.   Very annoying problem and I really hope this is just something wrong  with the SD card and not my 3DS. Never even so much as touched the SD  card then all of sudden getting these SD card errors...

MOTORV8R 4 posts since
Aug 17, 2011
May 3, 2012 7:23 AM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

So I put my SD card in a computer and it reads just fine, so looks like there isn't any issue with the SD card, the problem is the 3DS reading it, ugh sucks.  I will be trying some of the workarounds listed here and try another SD card etc..

THUNDERCAT4 11 posts since
Jun 8, 2012
Jun 8, 2012 10:51 AM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

*sighs* I'm haveing the same problem too. Everything else works though. I just got my 3ds 2 days ago. As soon as I got it home I went through the set up. When I booted the system for the first time, I did not get that error but now after I did the system update I get the [Cannot detect SD card....} error. I can't even access the the E-shop when I have the card in. When I leave the the card out, I don't get the error message pop at at the system start up. I can also acess the E-shop.

I know it's not the card. I tried it out in my laptop AND my DSi and the card reads/writes on those systems

KOOPINATOR 190 posts since
May 5, 2012
Jun 8, 2012 10:56 AM in response to: THUNDERCAT4

Try cleaning the harddrive with an approved cleaning solution.Dirt may have gotten onto the SD card.  Have you ever dropped your 3DS? If so, the SD card may be damaged and  therefore unusable. Clean the SD slot. Anything blocking the laser lens  could be a major problem. If you have another SD card, try inserting it  into the slot. If the same message appears, there is likely a problem  with the system, however that doesn't seem to be the case. The SD card  itself may have a simple scratch on it.

KOOPINATOR 190 posts since
May 5, 2012
Jun 8, 2012 11:00 AM in response to: THUNDERCAT4

You could also try to turn your 3DS off, take the SD card  out and blow on it. Then put it back in (Make sure it goes in all the way,  and is in the correct way). Turn your 3DS back on, and it should be  fine.
Did you replace the SD Card, or damage it in any way?

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Jun 8, 2012 2:02 PM in response to: KOOPINATOR

Don't blow on it.

THUNDERCAT4 11 posts since
Jun 8, 2012
Jun 25, 2012 9:41 AM in response to: KOOPINATOR

Tried all that too and used a different Sd card. Still No go.

Edit. 6-25-2012 I sent my system in for repair. Just got it back last Friday and now it works fine! I'm very pleased with NOA's customer and tech support.

Message was edited by: THUNDERCAT4

MOTORV8R 4 posts since
Aug 17, 2011
Jun 22, 2012 1:49 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

So my 3DS mysteriously started reading the SD card again.  I tried a bunch of different stuff and unfortunetly am not sure what did the trick exactly, probably a combination of things.  Put the card in a PC, read fine etc.  Tried multiple combinations of rebooting the 3DS with the card in and out.  Deleted stuff off the card, attempted redownloading stuff and some other things I didn't keep track of.  Now think this is not a hardware issue, but a problem with the 3DS corrupting the stored data on the card.

MOTORV8R 4 posts since
Aug 17, 2011
Jun 26, 2012 2:04 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

After seemingly working fine for a few days my 3DS is now giving these same old SD card errors again. This is very frustrating.

AISURUKITTYMEWMEW 1 posts since
Oct 1, 2012
Oct 1, 2012 1:51 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

Yeah i plugged my SD card, which is the one that CAME with the 3DS, into my PC's reader, and my PC asked if i wanted to format it for the PC. i put no, and my PC wouldnt read the data. so i was like "Fine, whatever" and put it back into my 3DS. again i DID NOT format it. now its saying my SD card is "not detected" and like half my software data is gone!!!!! What the heck happened?!?! TT__TT help...!

MARIO 3,249 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Oct 1, 2012 2:01 PM in response to: AISURUKITTYMEWMEW

I would first try holding the power button for about 10 seconds to fully shut off the 3DS, taking out the SD card, flipping the little switch to the locked, then unlocked position to make sure it isn't stuck, then inserting the SD card again and powering on the system. It may just be a temporary problem.

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Oct 1, 2012 2:08 PM in response to: AISURUKITTYMEWMEW

Man, this thread should really get locked. It's been bumped numerous times. So please don't bump old threads.

MARIO 3,249 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Oct 1, 2012 2:17 PM in response to: MARIOGOLFER777

As I've said, people find this site through search engines when they're trying to find help for their problem. I don't think there's any harm in posting in a thread like this when everyone is trying to get help with the same issue. I think it's only really an issue when someone is posting in multiple threads without realizing that they are old and already answered.

DONKEYKONG00 426 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
Oct 1, 2012 2:41 PM in response to: MARIO

Agreed! Before I joined club Nintendo, you wouldnt believe how many times these kind of threads came up when I was googling my questions.

JOTAMIDE 5 posts since
Apr 21, 2013
Apr 21, 2013 9:05 PM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

This is the most disappointing purchase ever, not even a day and I'm already running into issues with the 3DS.

Same problem as everyone here and I've formatted the SD 2 times already. This is ridiculous.

SHAUNBLOODSWORTH 1 posts since
Jun 10, 2013
Jun 10, 2013 8:06 AM in response to: NEED3DSHELP

I realize this is an old thread, but I experienced this issue this morning and I thought it might be helpful to add my experience.

I just picked up my 3DS XL yesterday, and this morning I decided I wanted to upgrade to an 8 GB micro SD card that I had since it only came with a 4 GB card.

I followed the steps on Nintendo's FAQs page, inserting the SD card into the card reader, and copied the entire contents onto the PC, the OS that I was using was Windows 7.

I realized that I couldn't find the 8 GB card, so I removed the SD card and inserted in back into the 3DS XL, deciding I would look for it later.

When I booted it up, it gave me the error message about not detecting the SD card.  I was very worried because I had just downloaded a bunch of stuff the previous day and it wasn't showing up anymore.

I found the 8 GB card, inserted it into the PC, deleted all of the other data on it, and made sure it was formatted as FAT 32.  Then I copied the 3DS data onto it.

When I was done, I made sure to go to the task bar and select 'Safely remove storage device' before removing the card, which should be noted that I had not done with the old card.

I inserted the card into the adapter (micro SD to SD so it would fit) and then inserted it into the 3DS XL.  When I booted it up, it took a few seconds, but the card was detected and all of my data was back.

I don't know for sure what fixed the problem, but here are my theories:

- The included card is flaky and not dependable (mine came with a Samsung, the replacement was Sandisk).

- A card must be "safely" removed from the computer in order to work with the 3DS.

- After contents are copied, they must be moved to a new card.

The last one seems like the most unlikely case, and the second may be the most likely case.  Hopefully this may help someone in the future.

MGRR 1 posts since
Nov 2, 2013
Nov 2, 2013 9:04 PM in response to: SHAUNBLOODSWORTH

i had the same issue, and  i broke my head around it,into i decide to do the easy thing to do,i order a new sd card reader,when online to check how to open a 3ds, replace the sd card reader,and guess what!! BOOM ,problem solved, so after days and days looking for a solution ,and nobody new what  was the issue,i fix my 3ds, just by buying a  new reader that cost me not more that 15 dollars, so my recommendation to you folks, buy a new sd card reader.....

hope this work for you......

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)