Skip navigation
19,555 Views 5 Replies Last post: Mar 10, 2014 7:57 AM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
7 posts since
Jun 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2011 7:39 AM

Weird Connectivity

I have WPA2-PSK (AES) security on my router at my house.  My 3DS won't find it when searching for an access point and SSID broadcasting is ON, on my router.  I have connected to the internet when I created an Ad-hoc network, it worked for about 2 weeks for the Nintendo 3DS.  I was still connected to the internet through my Pokemon White though.  I haven't set my Nintendo DS settings either.  I was still able to trade and battle with people over Wi-Fi in my Pokemon White but I could not connect to the eShop, Browser, or Update my system or my Pokedex 3D.  After I noticed this I deleted my wi-fi settings and went to reconnect again, but it couldn't find an access point.  I don't want to create another ad-hoc network because I've done that twice already and it would stop working for all the Nintendo 3DS applications after a while.  Should I just set-up WEP security for my router or is there something wrong with my 3DS? 

Also, I went to Nintendo DS Connections on my 3DS and searched for an access point and it found my router, but the security settings don't support WPA2-PSK(AES) security so I couldn't connect.  When I search for access points on the 3DS Connection Settings, my router SSID doesn't show up.  Any help is appreciated!

102 posts since
Jun 14, 2011
Jun 20, 2011 10:58 AM in response to: JM1207
Re: Weird Connectivity

well this is VERY interesting...       ...k it says here to, if needed,1)  download the latest firmware update for your router. if that doesn't work then 2) click here to find the ssid for your router. That is all i can find for you hope ir works.

BEARDEDONE 1,633 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Jun 21, 2011 9:12 PM in response to: JM1207

You can try manually entering your SSID in your 3DS.

1. Go to your Internet Settings
  2. Click "Connection Settings"
  3. Click "New Connection"
  4. Click "Manual Setup"
  5. Click "Manual Setup" (again)
  6. Click "SSID"
  7. Enter your SSID and click "OK"
  8. Click "Security"
  9. Click "WPA2-PSK(AES)", then "OK"
  10. Enter your security key.
  11. When you are all done, save your settings.

For the Nintendo DS Connections, you cannot connect to a WPA network because DS games do not support WPA (only WEP).  Pokemon White will connect to the WPA network because it is a DSi enhanced game and does support WPA.  Pokemon White will use either the regular internet connections or the Nintendo DS internet connections (whichever one will give it access to the internet).

VIRGINIABEACHNICS 2 posts since
Mar 9, 2014
Mar 9, 2014 3:21 PM in response to: BEARDEDONE

I don't think this is true any longer.  Onthe DS, you have to use one of the Advanced Connection instances. They support AES. It's not clear that you have to do this. I don't think the game has anything to do with the encryption supported. This was probably a firmware upgrade to the DS at some point. It probably originally only supported WEP.

The problem I am having is with the 3DS. It seems Nintendos answer to backward compatibility was to create an emulator to play DS games on 3DS. This has it's own WiFi configuration. There are only 3 options/instances and none support AES. Seems Nintendo left out a whole batch of software when building backward compat. Like the whole advanced encryption environment. My knee-jerk reaction is, this is freaking ridiculous. Who in their right mind would run WEP?

Any suggestions? Please tell me I'm wrong.

BEARDEDONE 1,633 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Mar 10, 2014 7:57 AM in response to: VIRGINIABEACHNICS

VIRGINIABEACHNICS  wrote:

I don't think this is true any longer.  Onthe DS, you have to use one of the Advanced Connection instances. They support AES. It's not clear that you have to do this. I don't think the game has anything to do with the encryption supported. This was probably a firmware upgrade to the DS at some point. It probably originally only supported WEP.

The DS and DS Lite did not give you the ability to update firmware.  It was not until the DSi that Nintendo provided firmware update capability.

The problem I am having is with the 3DS. It seems Nintendos answer to backward compatibility was to create an emulator to play DS games on 3DS. This has it's own WiFi configuration. There are only 3 options/instances and none support AES. Seems Nintendo left out a whole batch of software when building backward compat. Like the whole advanced encryption environment. My knee-jerk reaction is, this is freaking ridiculous. Who in their right mind would run WEP?

Any suggestions? Please tell me I'm wrong.

The problem is actually with the older games.  Any DS game that is not "DSi Enhanced" does not support the advanced network types provided on the DSi, and therefore does not support WPA or WPA2.  There are some newer DS games that are "DSi Enhanced", and they will use the 3DS's network connections instead of the special Nintendo DS network connections and will therefore support WPA and WPA2.

I agree with you.  I don't run WEP anymore, and I'm sure there are not many people who do.  As a consequence I can't play games like The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass online anymore.

Unfortunately, you are not wrong.  If you want to play an older DS game on-line, you will need a WiFi connection that is either not secure or secured with WEP.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)